“Quaint” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Hob Knob to your Saves list
The Hob Knob
128 Main Street, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE ROOM NIGHT-CAll NOW!
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Edgartown
“Quaint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our anniversary in Martha's Vineyard. The Hob Knob was a fantastic little boutique hotel which was minutes away from the shops and restaurants of downtown Edgartown. The bus stop is also within a short distance making it easy to access different areas of the island.
The Hob Knob's made to order breakfast every morning is fantastic, along with afternoon tea! Be sure to try their granola., chocolate chip cookies and blue berry scones. The hotel also offers a superb honorary bar service. I would also highly recommend renting the hotel's pedal bikes for a day to explore the island a little further. The only down fall is that the hotel located directly on the road and there is no water view, however they have created a quaint garden atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hamden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Looking for a place on Martha's Vineyard was tough, but we found what we were looking for and then some at the Hob Knob. We spent 4 days, 3 nights at the beautiful, quaint inn. The décor and atmosphere of the inn are very charming. There are multiple places to spend time and relax, reading a book, having tea, or taking a quick nap before dinner. The brunch was tasty, and so fresh, perfect for a beautiful Sunday on the vineyard. The location of the inn is only a short walk into the center of Edgartown, where there are many appealing shops to look and shop in. Also, there are several delicious restaurants, cafes, and ice cream stores to choose and eat at. Hob Knob also offers many activities for their guests to take part in such as: having bicycles to rent for the day, taking a cruise ride on the Hob Knob's Boston Whaler, and helping to arrange any other water sport activities. Also, the staff was wonderful and recommended some great places to visit on the island. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Since the day a made the reservation with Abi over the phone everything at HobKnob was fantastic ! My husband and I staid at the gorgeous boutique for tree night and the experience was delightful, the owner (I had the pleasure to meet her) has putting her touch in every corner of all places, you feel you are at your house, the breakfast is totally gourmet, organic, healthy, the wine bar, and afternoon te so amazing ... I wouldn't change any thing ... The location is perfect ... If I go back to the vineyard I will stay at the HobKnob again again ...
Thanks to all the stuff member, you guys are A+ customer services.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights recently and we really have to say what a wonderful property! We got married close by and everyone in the hotel was wonderful!! The manager Diane Carr was so very kind, professional and accommodating. WE highly recommend the Hob Knob for any occasion from a weekend get-away to a wonderful place to stay for your wedding!

Thank you Diane!

Traveler in Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

After careful research and reading of reviews, we opted to stay at the Hob Knob and spent 7 nights at this beautiful Inn. The decor and atmosphere are reminiscent of spending time in a lovely English garden hotel. There are so many comfy public rooms, porches and nooks to relax and spend time in--perhaps reading a good book or bringing out a cup of tea or other beverage, which are always available. Then, perhaps it's time for a stroll downl just a couple of blocks into town, where there are many enticing shops to browse in, and restaurants, cafes and ice cream stores. Just walking the streets and viewing the restored Georgian colonial and vintage homes is a treat. The Inn also has a fleet of bicycles that can be rented for the day.

The staff at the Inn were attentive and helpful with any questions about our stay on the Island. The breakfasts were complete with fruit, juices, cereals and baked goods set out on a sideboard, and a menu of 5 choices cooked to order was handed out to each guest. Coffee & tea were also set out on another sideboard. In the afternoon, from 4 to 6 p.m., hors d'oeuvres and tea were set out, and other beverages were available in their honor bar.

Our room and bath were on the small side, but were comfortable and contained everything we would need for our stay Smaller-size rooms are probably the norm with a stay at a vintage country Inn.

The $550/night room rate was a bit steep, but the location for getting to everything was perfect. As a vacation destination, and a time to treat yourselves, my husband and I would recommend a stay in this elegant country inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear of the hotel are quieter, and I understand that rooms on the third floor are large...
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Martha's Vineyard does not have a wide selection of hotels and inns, so lodging options are rather limited on the island. Honestly, the best places to stay are rental homes (which we will look into in subsequent summers), but since we didn't have our children with us on this visit, we thought it better to stay in an inn.

The Hob Knob has a few pluses: if you like the action of Edgartown, it is well situated on the main road; the breakfast is generally good; the beds are comfortable and the manager, Diane, is very nice. The negatives, however, greatly outweigh the positives.

At a standard room rate of $550 per night, the Hob Knob is, what we would consider, an expensive per night price. This would be acceptable if the rooms, cleanliness and services corresponded with the high price. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Our room was exceedingly small - we believe the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in. The room measured 11' x 12' and was largely consumed by the bed. The space between the end of the bed and the edge of the dresser was 2 feet - tight enough that my husband and I could not pass around the bed at the same time! We had windows on two sides of the room, but even with that, we felt as though we were living in a cell for our 5 night stay. We asked to be switched to a bigger room, but were told that at this rate, this was the standard room size (higher rates - around $680 a night - allow you to stay on the third floor where the rooms are modestly bigger). Not alone in our surprise and disappointment as to the room size, we heard other guests talking to management about their small rooms as well.

The Inn also charges extra for things that should be, in our opinion, included in the steep room rates. A fleet of bikes awaits guests, but the Inn charges $35 per day per person for the use of bikes. While this is not a large amount, if just feels badly when you already feel badly about overpaying for a tiny room.

My greatest concern is about the cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms. When we checked in, our bathroom had hair and urine around the top edges of the toilet seat, and hair on the bathroom floor. I mentioned this to the front desk that evening and the next day while we were out and the room was being serviced, nothing got cleaned in the bathroom! I spoke again to the front desk and, after being out for dinner and coming back after turn-down, the bathroom was still not clean. Equally as surprising, we had placed some used, wet and dirty towels in a ball on the floor in the bedroom (to signify that they should be replaced) and they were picked up off the floor by the cleaners and re-hung in our bathroom!!! While I appreciate "eco hotels" and try to be conservative with my water/towel/linen use, I cannot believe that towels I had clearly designated were dirty were re-hung for me to use again! I went downstairs, spoke with the person at the desk who said he would tell Diane about all of these bathroom issues the next day. To my surprise, Diane never spoke with us about this or offered any apology, even though we saw Diane frequently during our stay.

I have been asking around to get names of places to stay, if renting a house is not in your plans. The Charlotte Inn in Edgartown keeps being mentioned (though I have not checked it out myself!), and there are a number of nice places Up-Island (eg around Chilmark/W Tisbury), which in general we would suggest as it is not nearly as crowded and noisy in those areas.

Good luck - but honestly, you would be wise to seriously consider other options rather than the Hob Knob. The chance that you will be disappointed with the rooms/cleanliness/noise/extra charges is very likely.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Maggie W, General Manager at The Hob Knob, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
The Hob Knob takes tremendous pride in our property and we do everything we can so that our guests are comfortable and feel as if their expectations have been exceeded. In this case, this guest clearly had certain misconceptions about the room, which was booked through their travel agent. The room they were in was beautiful, as are all of our rooms, but located on the second floor not on the third floor, where our rooms are more spacious and command a higher price point. They were not happy that they could not be moved as well, as our hotel was fully occupied.

As a team, we take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms, especially bathrooms. We work very hard to make sure that all rooms are inspected properly. An issue concerning their bathroom was dealt with immediately by our housekeeping and front desk staff. These guests without notice to our front desk or to me, took it upon themselves to remove all of the bed linen daily and leave for housekeeping to replenish daily, which it was, clearly in an effort to exceed this guest’s expectations. This is not the norm, as in any luxury boutique hotel, guests with a stay longer than three days will have a full sheet changed on their third day and beyond.

As the general manager, I felt my team acknowledged the situation in a swift and appropriate way. In the days that followed I interacted with these guests daily to make sure that they were enjoying their stay. They did not once mention to me any dissatisfaction during this time. They seemed completely content and happy upon check out.

Our charming boutique hotel was renovated and updated recently, and what sets us apart from others is the setting, charm and design of each of our rooms. The décor consists of English chintz, oil paintings, vintage silver and antiques. Each room is uniquely appointed with the guest experience in mind, for color, ease of movement and appeal to senses.

We hope we can entice you to try us again. Give us a call and we look forward to hobnobbing with you again soon

Diane M. Carr, General Manager
Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have had The Hob Knob on my bucket list for years and it did not disappoint! The service from beginning to end was top-notch! The rooms were lovely, the beds divine. We enjoyed a made to order yummy breakfast out on the beautiful patio. The location was perfect-just a couple blocks stroll to all the wonderful restaurants and shops Edgartown offers. The staff was very helpful with recommendations and reservations. Thank you for exceeding all of my expectations! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hob Knob? Share your experiences!