“Still great even without the deck” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Longmeadow, MA
“Still great even without the deck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having reviewed the Tavern in the past, when dining on the outdoor deck in warm weather is an enhancing feature of the restaurant, I think this is still a great place even when one must remain inside. My family had dinner on New Year's Eve to a pretty full house, and found all the food and service still very much to our liking. The menu was unchanged from the summer months except for a few specials added, and so my wife was able to enjoy her perennial favorite salad and the grilled pork chop. My son enjoyed his favorite from the standard menu, the grilled hanger steak, and I tried the filet mignon as a special for the evening: all were perfectly prepared to order. Desserts were also dependably good. Tavern is a great destination in all four seasons.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Great view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Love to come here in the summer and relax on the deck.Food is ok nothing really blows your socks off . Place to relax and have a glass of wine and take in the sites.

• Visited July 2013
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“great summertime vebue & boring menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I really enjoy eating outdoors at the Tavern in the summer since there are very few restaurants with outdoor seating in Western Mass and I certainly agree with one of the reviewers about the planter's placement and the remaining view of a sea of cars. The service is fine, especially when considering the crowds on a warm summer evening. I would even eat there in the winter if ONLY they would change the menu.

• Visited August 2013
Southampton, Massachusetts
“Great view on deck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Tavern on the Hill continues to offer good food and service but has not changed their menu in a long time. The a la carte pricing makes it a bit pricey for weekly dining but we go as a couple a few times a year just for the atmosphere. We sometimes order appetizers and salads to make a meal. Drinks are to our liking but pricey. Hope new items are added and specials continue to expand choices with fewer creamy or heavy sauces as many of us are looking for healthier options.

• Visited September 2013
Longmeadow, MA
“A nice evening out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I believe I have reviewed this restaurant previously, but I want to reinforce with the excellent time shared with friends on a recent visit. Fall is spectacular in this area during foliage season, and despite too cool evenings making al fresco no longer possible, the food and service on a Columbus Day weekend was outstanding. Drinks were all good, my trout and the other couple's fried oyster appetizer were both great, and all our main courses were very well prepared, including two of our party having the big bone-in grilled pork chops which is a menu staple, and the scallop special enjoyed by the other couple's wife. But my evening special short ribs dinner was probably the absolute best menu item I have tasted at this restaurant ever.

The short ribs were two large chunks of perfectly braised beef, off the bone, and imbued with a delicious wine reduction. Served with mashed potatoes and french green beans, the dinner was a testament to perfect simplicity (or simple perfection). I hope this becomes a regular or at least frequent menu item for the upcoming fall/winter season.

Contrary to other opinions here, our waiter David was superb from beginning to end. We all look forward to our next visit.

• Visited October 2013