“Charming restaurant, limited menu” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Western MA
“Charming restaurant, limited menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I first went to Coco's with 3 others several weeks after it opened in 2010; at that time I had a wonderful braised pork shoulder for my entree, others had a very bad meal, as the kitchen was overwhelmed and their chickens came out raw... It turned out the owner was trying an experiment - to let people in the Cellar Bar, beneath the restaurant, order food... They just couldn't handle the demand. They no longer do that. Our whole meal was comp'd and they encouraged us to try again another time.

Things were much better the second time around but there were no specials, and the menu is very restricted. Having said that, for appetizers the tomato and basil soup was excellent, but even better was the fried brussel sprouts were worth coming back for.
Likewise for dessert, the chocolate mousse with a hint of heat was memoriable (wonderful).
Our disappointment was with the choice of (5) main courses. We each had to settle, rather then being excited about our selections. Eggplant parmagiana was too heavy and oily and the fried chicken, though well cooked, moist and flavorful, served with garlic mashed potatoes, wasn't a special meal. Other main courses included meatballs over polenta (?). The interesting dish I did not try was a salmon with coriander - but I'd recently had salmon. No real meat entree was offered (other then the meatballs).

The restaurant is lovely, with wide plank wood floors, brick walls and subdued lighting (but not too dark). Wines by the glass are limited, but reasonable (except that they lack a less then dry white wine).
This is a restaurant I'd like to see succeed, and understand their need for a restricted menu. Some items were truly excellent, but they need to rethink and expand their entrees just a bit before I'd come back... I still miss the roasted pork shoulder from the first visit.
Prices are reasonable.
I'd like to think the restaurant is still evolving.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Massachusetts
“Great find in Western Mass!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Quaint atmosphere with brick walls and lively kitchen - very warm. One of the best restaurants in the pioneer valley. I started with the roasted beet salad. Served with oranges and avocado cream with a light dressing it was the best beet salad i've ever had. I also had the braised pork shoulder with polenta and garlic green beans. The pork was cooked to perfection -tender and delicious and the sides complemented the pork perfectly. My wife had the fried chicken w/garlic mashed and Cole slaw - a great comfort food meal. We split a lemon panna cotta with blueberries for dessert - a perfect way to end a great experience. The service was excellent. One note: they have a few bottled beers but you can walk downstairs to the cellar bar for a draft and bring it upstairs to have with your meal. Total before tip was $58 -a great value.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northampton, Massachusetts
“SHE'S BACK!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Unmi is back and we couldn't be more delighted. The restaurant is small and informal and quite comfortable. The food is fresh, local ingredients and beautifully prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant. The nice thing is that they also take reservations.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redwood City, California
“A great place - can't wait to go again soon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We went a few weeks ago and had a great dinner. The place was full of happy diners when we arrived at 6:45, as was mostly full when we left an hour later. The menu is limited to 5-6 appetizers and 5-6 entrees (all of them would have made me happy). The portion sizes are moderate...enough to fill you up, not so much that you would need a doggie bag...and the prices are very reasonable given the quality of the meal...$16-20. The interior is very attractive...not as swanky as Venus (which used to occupy that space), but comfortable and approachable. Bottom line...we liked it and we will go back!

• Visited October 2011