“Great clean affordable place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   5000 State Highway (Route 6), Eastham, MA 02651   |
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Eastham
Bethlehem, Connecticut
“Great clean affordable place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in August. We enjoyed the trip greatly. The hotel's outer appearance can appear a little bit dated and in need of a paint just but please don't let that turn you away from a great little hotel. The rooms are nice and quiet, while inside I could not hear a bit of noise from the outside. The inside contained a very comfortable bed and over all nice clean room. The staff was extremely helpful! At one point we made the mistake of locking our keys in our room. With a quick show of our driver's license we were given the spare with absolutely no hassle. I fully intend on returning to this hotel in the future and encourage you too as well if you are searching for a nice, clean, affordable spot on the cape!

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are right on the bicycle trail.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tupelo, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I gave this 3 stars, but there were challenges that got a bit old since we stayed 7 nights. I once stayed in a truly nightmarish fishing motel by a big lake in Texas, so I do believe I've seen the worst there is to see. This motel was way better. But, it did make me feel more like I was at summer camp than in a "conference center." Since we weren't there for a conference, all we needed was a clean place to stay while we had fun with our family living nearby. The room was roomy. Two queen size beds and a desk with a chair and an arm chair. No table or other place to sit and work, so my spouse and I had to share the desk. As with most hotels and motels, a good place to sit and put on your makeup and do your hair is almost always a challenge. My biggest problem was with the bathroom area. There was a tub and toilet inside a little room and a sink outside. The lighting was awful and if you were in the inside part of the bathroom you could get pretty claustrophobic fast. Plus, it wasn't really very clean and it had not been updated since it was built by appearances. The only light inside it was the "heat" lamp/fan, so if you turned the timer on, a roar of noise began and continued until it ran out of time which often happened when I was still occupied in the shower. Kinda scary. (Standing in water, reaching out in the total dark for a knob to a powerful electric thingy...yipes) One other thing, the towels were few and threadbare and the soaps and shampoos so ridiculously dinky they were definitely a "one person per bath" proposition. We went out to the store and bought two nice beach towels and a bar of soap and some shampoo.

The ironing board they brought me was a "sit on the counter" type, and there was almost no counter. It lacked the rubber feet to stabilize it, too. It was a good thing I brought stuff that didn't need much ironing. This motel didn't have a laundry, but you were supposed to be able to use one at another motel up the road they also owned. When we got there, the washing machine was broken, though, so we had to go to what appeared to be the only laundromat on the Cape and spend an hour and way too much cash doing one load. It was next to a bowling alley, but, you wouldn't want to go in there. Sorry, I digress.

They also had the most godawful drapes that were all different lengths, didn't close properly (a problem if you are on the end unit at ground level) and were pretty raggedy. The grounds were pretty nice, but often trash had been tipped over making me wonder if a bear had been there. It seemed to attract a lot of flies who literally chased us from our car to the room. There were picnic tables scattered all around and I admit it was nice to go out in the morning and sit in the sun at the one outside our room in a nice grassy area with trees. (Until the flies discovered us)

Breakfast was attended by almost a dozen people each day and they had basic motel stuff to eat. I liked that they had fresh milk in the fridge for us. We also had a fridge in our room, so we had some yogurt and fruit that we'd purchased and took it to the cheery kitchen where everyone else was gathered to eat and drink coffee. People were very friendly. Seeing Helen there each day was delightful.

That brings me to what I loved the most about this place. It was Helen, the desk manager. She reacted positively to every request and acknowledged all the problems with the curtains, the bathrooms, etc. She gave us great advice on where to go and what to do. She was a born concierge. The owner was also a great guy though he seemed quite frazzled by all that was going on at this hotel as well as the other one as the summer season had ended and this was early fall. He was a truly nice man. I think he should call the show "Hotel Impossible" to get some ideas on how to make this place a step above where it is now.

Room Tip: Make a reservation, but when you get there ask if there is more than one room available and if you c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great cheap hotel in a good location. Staff are very friendly, and the hotel is located close to shops and bike path in a quiet location.

Rooms are a little on the smelly side, and a little dated - but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Try to get an end room - having side windows makes it airier and brighter..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
East Petersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a pet friendly motel on Cape Cod for the second week of October. The proprietor was wonderful and gave us a great rate. The room was very clean and quaint. The only issue I ran into was that our room was in a dead spot for the wi-fi and the one antenna I could connect to wouldn't connect properly, despite being re-booted, but that's a minor issue. We were impressed with the value and the quality of the place. The staff were friendly and we had a great time with our little dog along. Helen (the proprietor) gave us good advice on places to eat and visit.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, avoid room 29, otherwise, it's a wonderful place to stay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Herkimer, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

After several mini vacations up the Cape in the fall we have finally found the perfect motel, The Captains Quarters in N.Eastham. Where do I begin? I first have to comment on the front desk manager Helen. We have never met a such a warm sincere motel manager in all our travels. She just about bent over backwards to help us in all our requests. She went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable from start to finish. We loved you Helen and you can bet as long as Helen is there in the fall of 2013 we will be back. The motel was very clean, comfortable beds, bathrooms spotless. No complaints on cleanliness at all. Fantastic continental breakfast too. So my suggestion for travelers up the Cape is stop in and talk to Helen about the accommodations at Captains Quarters. You wont be sorry! See you next year Helen!!!!! Cindy and Lori

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Colebrook, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

When I booked with Hotwire and got Captain Quarters Motel as a result... I was pretty scare and didn't know what to expect!!! I really don't like motel usually and only book them at last when nothing is available under $100 or so... Motels are usually used for many things (day and night and hourly rates kind of thing).

Well... First I my GPS didn't find the motel so I called many times and only hit a voice mail several times.. Was not a good start!!! I finally found the place and it was like getting in a vacant ghost motel !! Not a soul... The lobby was locked... Nobody around!!! Wow this was scary... I was about to call Hotwire when I saw a sheet on the window saying that the manager was away and my room was unlock, key on the door and I could check in next morning!!!

Wow!!! I was not very feeling safe... What if somebody was already in my room... What if...??? OMG !!!

Well, I knocked at my door... No answer (good) and I was please to see a nice spacious room...

Internet was good and nice desk to work... I was feeling more safe and comfortable...

I took a shower then went a mile south to Stewart for lobster and mudslide... Then back at the hotel to finish my paperwork and daily orders...

I slept well but woke up pretty often...

In the morning I met the manager and she told me she had to take care of her very sick dad... She's alone all season as manager and her boss don't seem to care much and pay her as little as they can...

At least she's doing a great job (when she is there :-)...

Breakfast was very basic : bagel, bread, mini muffins, juice, coffee, cereals...

Interesting experience... But since it was overall affordable and comfortable, may crash here again next year!!!

Only open from April to October ;-)

• Stayed September 2012
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

After leaving a dreadful Boston area hotel early, we decided to check out Cape Cod. We drove onto the Cape with our hotel coupon book clutched in our hand, looking for someplace that looked pleasant and did not want too much for their rooms, as we were only spending one night. After passing several motels offering deals in the coupon book, we came upon Captain's Quarters (almost missed it due to inadequate signage). We found the rooms to be quite pleasant, clean and spacious. The rooms and entire motel are a bit dated, as mentioned by other reviewers, but this was of no concern, as we were only renting a room, not buying the place. Darkness...no concern. Why waste the day in the room, and at night, who cares.From check-in to check-out, the whole experience was a pleassure. Got great restaurant recommendations from the manager, breakfast was more than adequate, beds clean and comfortable..........all for a super low price. A great place if you are not expecting the Ritz.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Captains Quarters Motel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!