“Great new find” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Sterling, Massachusetts
“Great new find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Have been to the Cape several times but this was our first experience at Stewarts. We needed someplace with seafood and also a hamburger for our teenage boy. Got there around noon on a Thursday. Plenty of open tables, got to sit outside. Our waitress was very attentive, checked on us often. My son enjoyed his hamburger. My husband's very large piece of striped bass was nice. Shared the very nicely lightly dressed lobster roll with my 9 yr old. Plenty of lobster for both of us-was busting out of the bun. My 11 yr old got the kids' pizza. Looks like what we got back in the 80s in the school cafeteria but she loves any cheese pizza and doesn't get it much so she was happy. Loved that some meals came with a side of sauteed spinach and appreciated a lightly dressed coleslaw-nice change from most of the gloppy stuff that is out there. Prices seemed reasonable for the quantity of fresh local seafood.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

whitby
“Sometimes it just happens that way”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was the comment given to us by the owner after the horrible service we received at this restaurant. Backing up to the beginning -- Last year we had lunch and dinner here 4 times and loved the food, so this year it was on our list of restaurants that we had to go back to even though it is very expensive. We decided to leave the kids at home and have a nice dinner together. When we got there we were told that there was a 25 minute wait even though there empty tables. I asked about tables in the bar area and was told that they are only for people waiting to be seated. After about 20 minutes our name was called and they proceeded to seat us at one of these bar tables -- that had sat empty the entire time we were there. At this point we were a little ticked off but ready to enjoy our meal. Things went downhill from there. We ordered our food and sat waiting for ages with no sign of our meal (we ordered apps and main courses) After an extended amount of time the waitress came over and apologized for the wait and told us that there had been a fire in the kitchen. She asked if we wanted more bread, we said no just our food. My husband and I both looked at the kitchen and I commented that they looked pretty calm for having had a fire in the kitchen. Fast forward another 10 minutes and all of a sudden we are served our appetizers and main course at the same time. My appetizer is cold (was supposed to be hot) my main dish scallops are super hot but the rice with it is cold and clumpy. My husband is alternating between eating his calamari (app) and lobster ravioli which are cold. It is at this point that owner walks by and says he hopes we are okay with what happened to our meal. We say no we are not -- and he comments that "Oh well, sometimes it just happens that way" and walks away -- seriously!!! It was this that made me take the time to write this review. Absolutely no concern on his part that we were having a horrible experience. The woman (owner I presume) came over after my husband told the waitress that we would not pay for all of this meal. We told the woman that the waitress told us there was a fire in the kitchen and it was clear from her expression that there had been no fire and the waitress had lied to us. She also told us that our order was put in at 7:43 pm and we received it 10 minutes later -- no problem. Problem is that we order it at about 7:15 -- so clearly the waitress forgot or ordered and then lied to cover herself. If the owners had apologized we probably would have left there feeling a bit better, but they were rude and unapologizing. They did remove the appetizers from our bill. But we will not be going back there again -- very disappointing and one of the only really negative experiences we've had at a restaurant in cape cod. Others have complained about the owners rudeness and clearly this is an issue with this restaurant -- stay away!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Canada
“The biggest disappointment on the cape”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Food was cold; waitress clueless; the owners are down right rude. Avoid at all costs. The only real disappointment we have experienced on the cape.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cape Cod, MA
“Becoming a convert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I live in Eastham and have followed this restaurant through its glory days as the Lobster Pool and on through its not-so-glory days. I ate at Stewarts the first week it opened a couple years ago. Really like the renovations. The bar is now much brighter and airy, the outdoor patio is great. Alas, the first meal years ago was expensive and mediocre at best. I had returned 3 times over the past years to similar results. I really wanted to like it but there are so many other great choices. I eat out often and just preferred to spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere. So much for the past.

I have eaten at Stewarts 4 times this year, and have hung out at the bar for the music and apps a number of other times. For anyone who has not tried it recently, or if you never have, give it a try. The food and service seem to have improved considerably. I have had a Cajun swordfish dish and a curried scallop dish with coconut basmati rice recently that were both memorable. I really like their tuna sashimi appetizer, nice and fresh, decent portion, great condiments, but the presentation could use a bit of work. I generally sit at the bar so can't comment on the table service, but the bar service and drinks are great. They have a nice beer selection on tap. There are a couple of really knowledgeable bartenders. Claire is a wiz and a dynamo behind the bar. She makes me tired just watching her, but she makes a great drink, and they have a really nice selection of specialty cocktails and rotating drink specials.

They have entertainment on weekends. If you like jazz the music will be satisfying. It is a great dinner accompaniment. Last night they had an 8 string jazz guitar along with someone playing a clarinet and saxophone - not at the same time mind you. I believe they also now have blues on at least one night but I have not been so can't comment. I notice that their website is not updated to reflect this but their sign out front is.

The 4 stars relates to the prices. There is a definite correlation between price and quality in my mind. I do not mind spending extra for an exceptional meal. If you are going to charge an exceptionally high price the quality of the meal better justify that price. I think the equation is a bit off at Stewarts at the moment. The food I have had recently at Stewarts has been exceptional but the prices are exceptionally high even by Cape standards. I'd like to see them balance the equation and improve the quality of food to even more exceptional, or reduce their prices - or hey, how about both! I am going to continue to give them a chance, and hopefully they can continue with the positive trend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Franklin, Tennessee
“Adorable and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

What a cute place! It is very open with outdoor and indoor seating. It is very close to the Salt Pond Visitor Center of the National Seashore. We started with hummus and clam chowder, both good. Our server was very sweet. We had kids' ravioli, baked cod and fish and chips. Everything was good except for the weirdo rice that came with the baked cod. I am not sure if it was a mistake or if it was supposed to taste like that but it tasted way burned to me and nasty so I skipped it. The cod was good but I think the fish and chips was even better. The salads looked really good. Great place for a fast and good meal between park attractions. The restrooms were clean.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere