“no crying at this motel” 5 of 5 stars

Town Crier Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3620 Rt 6, PO Box 457 Rt 6, Eastham, MA 02642   |
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Eastham
new jersey
“no crying at this motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

When looking for a clean,reasonably priced motel on cape cod,stay at the town crier in Eastham.The staff and owners are always very cheerful and friendly,and always ready to help you at a moments notice.the on-site restaurant is clean,reasonable,and the food is very good.The rooms are cozy and clean.The indoor pool is a bonus.We have been staying there for many years,and will be for many years to come.We highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We took our two boys up to the cape for the Oyster festival in Wellfleet. Against my better judgement I went with my girlfriends suggestion of the Town Crier Motel. We arrived and all seemed ok. We checked in, the people seemed nice. We got to our room and it was definetly dated. Upon checking in we were told that the indoor pool was closed for the season. The reason given was that there wasn't enough traffic in the motel to keep it open. Nothing in their website said anything about it being closed, nor did the woman I talked to on the phone to make my reservation as their website wasn't up to the task.

Our two boys were looking forward to swimming in the indoor pool as we were looking forward to tiring them out. When we tried to leave and lock the room to get something to eat the top lock was non-functional and the knob lock barely kept the door shut. Needless to say we got take out and went back to "guard" the room.

After eating we wanted to watch tv. This was all well and good accept for the fact that the TV picture shut off every 5 minutes necessatating shutting off the TV and turning it back on again.

Other annoying things about the evening were the phone ringing for two rings every 10 minutes and the "free" internet web access not working.

It was late at this point, we were tired from the long drive, we made best with what we had and went to sleep. The next morning the resturant where I assumed we were going to receive our contintal breakfast was closed.

When I checked out I asked for a partial refund of the room fee and was told no.

Not a pleasant place at all. I would go down the street to the Four Points by Sheraton for a better experience. Steer clear of this place at all costs.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mic8hael, owner at Town Crier Motel, responded to this review, March 4, 2009
My name is Judy Cannn and my family and I own the Town Crier Motel. We take constructive criticism very seriously and appreciate any suggestions which will make our guests more comfortable. This note is in response to all of the reviews that people have taken the time to write to Trip Advisor. I must first thank all of you who have said nice things about us, and urge you to come back so that I may thank you in person.

For any folks who have had complaints, we have carefully examined them and taken corrective action wherever possible. As far as the service issues which have been cited are conderned we apologize profusely. Our whole purpose is to provide a comfortable, congenial, pleasant atmosphere. We usually succeed as indicated by the positive reviews posted here and by the many customers who return again and again; however we miss occasionally. We pledge our renewed dedication to good service for all of our customers.

Our Poolside Breakfast Restaurant has been completely redone right down to the spanking new floor, and our buffet table is new and beautiful. We love to cook for you and we are very proud of our restaurant and of Joe's delicious home made food. Our newly painted swimming pool room is now getting a new floor. Our guests really enjoy sunny days in our pool with the roof open; and on those rainy and chilly days, they can still swim with the roof closed.

We work hard to upgrade our motel, while maintaining the "Cape Cod" flavor that visitors to the lower Cape enjoy. We continuously paint and carpet rooms and refurbish bathrooms. This year our gardens were lovely and they are getting lovelier as the flowers and grasses fill in and our beautiful evergreens grow.

In conclusion, to all of our customers, please tell us immediately if you have any problems while you are here and let us rectify the situation. We really love our motel and want you to love it too.

Sincerely yours,
Judy Cannon, Owner
Town Crier Motel
Pomona, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We just returned from a four night stay at the Town Crier Motel on Cape Cod. We could not have had a more pleasant experience. Our room was more than adequate, clean and comfortable. We found the staff to be very friendly, accommodating, courteous and helpful.

Each morning we were pleased to find such a varied selection of choices at the breakfast buffet. We delighted in freshly made and delicious muffins, waffles, pancakes, eggs, pound cake, etc.

One night our grandchildren stayed over and we enjoyed playing badminton and swimming in the pool with them.

We are looking forward to staying here again.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
windsor locks, ct
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

We have stayed at the Town Crier twice and are considering another visit this summer. The rates are very good compared to others in the area and the rooms are satisfactory.
Again, the rooms are simple and basic and fairly clean. The location is good, area restaurants are great, much better than what's available up in P'town. We did not use the pool; we did get the breakfast once; the food was good for the price, but the service was lacking. I was surprised the coffee and tea were not included in the price.
My main complaint is about the owners. They park their big SUV in front of the door all the time, so it is difficult to access the office which, most of the time is empty. The man who seems to own the place is surly and unfriendly. I went to the desk to ask a question about the movie theater and he was not the least bit interested in helping me.
I realize that times are tough and getting worse, so everyone wants to get the best value for their shrinking dollar. I am sure it is stressful running a business. But all of these Cape motels are competing for a limited amount of customers; many families are deciding not to travel this year because of gas prices and fear about the economy. I really expected businesses to be more considerate of their customers to keep them coming back. The reason I am planning to return to the Town Crier is that it is a known quantity, a good value, and acceptable.

• Liked — location; price
  • Disliked — staff/owners
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bristol, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

My husband and I have been staying at this motel for a number of years. Whenever we go to the Cape, this is the place of choice for us. We have never had any problems with the staff, cleanliness of the room, bathroom or any other problems.

We had an air conditioner "quit" on us on the Fourth of July (extremely hot) one year and spoke with the front desk and within one hour a new one was up and running in our room.

We have found the staff to be friendly and eager to make our stay comfortable. They come into the room daily to vacuum, clean the bathroom and make the beds.

If you want a family friendly place to stay, I would recommend and have recommended the Town Crier to any number of people.

Stayed April 2008
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

This is by far one of the worst hotels ive been to. The old office owners and FOREVER to even come up to the desk and when they did they were VERY rude. The room was nasty, Beds felt like I was sleeping on the ground, and Bathroom was staind.

the Next two days they never made the beds or even gave us new towels. I even went up to the front desk and waited over 15mins with no answer. w

So on the 4th day I have sameet towels from day one, Beds that never been made and old owners that like to stay in their rooms in the office hiding. To be honest i dont even think they can even here the bell ring. Now at this point I decide I want to check out of this dump and I ended up speaking to this woman that once again was very rude. I asked her that i wanted to check out a couple days early and I want a refund for the remaining days and I also explained to her about the poor service. She said that she will not refund my money.

I ended up leaving anyways and went down the street to another hotel that gave me great service.

So not only did they not do anything for me but they stoled money from me. Thanks Town Crier Hotel. I hope you go out of business soon so no one else will go through what I went through.

• Liked — Nothing!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!! Awful place to be
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Poughkeepsie, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Was quoted a price by a female over the phone. Just before arriving called to see if they still had availability and was told a higher price, and when I mentioned the price I was given over the phone a day before, I was basically told I was lying because that price is never quoted, that price is an internet special. I called several places the previous day and wrote down all the information and answers to my questions and had the paper with me. (By the way, I checked the internet and there is no internet special listed for this motel). We would not have booked via internet regardless, since I do not provide my credit card info via internet and we also like to see the rooms prior to booking, based on previous bad experiences...The internet pictures and descriptions are more than not true examples. We were burned on that and will not do that again. Guess I should have gone on to my next location after this experience, but I didn't since we had already looked at several places that were worse. Our room was basically clean as can be for an older motel; however, we did have several concerns: First of all the pool was filled with dirt on the bottom and desperately needed a cleaning. Looked like mold around the top portion of the pool as well. Our child's feet were completely BLACK after walking on the floor around the pool. (He only took off his shoes around the pool).Therefore, we did not use it, much to the disappointment of our child. The restaurant on site that's mentioned in their brochure was not open. In our room, the drapes to the front window were off the hook and you could not close them completely (I feel the cleaning personnel should have noticed that and fixed it, but they did not!). The paper coffee cups left by the coffeemaker were dirty when we arrived and we had to go ask for clean ones. We were three people and only 1 washcloth and three towels were left after our 1st day. We had to go ask for two more washcloths. The 2nd day, 2 washcloths were left, but we did find one more in the basket that held the shampoo, so we used that one. When we turned on the air conditioner, it blew in a smell of mustiness/mildew and provided an odor that we could not stand, thus we did not use it while in the room. It threw our child into an uncontrollable coughing fit for several hours. Also, the air conditioner was right next to the bed which would blow right into your face. It would have been nice to have a table next to the bed (there was a big open space for one and we noticed other rooms had such a table). Extra outlets would have been nice to recharge our phones. The few outlets were being used. The outlet in the bathroom could have been used, but it seemed when you turned off the bathroom lights, it also disconnected the outlet as well. The outlet only seemed to work with the bathroom light on, thus my husband's shaver could not be recharged. Although the tub was quite clean, there was mold on the ceramic tiles (can easily be cleaned with bleach) and the rubber bath mat needs a good cleaning. The bedspreads are in dire need of a good cleaning...they were quite dirty, especially along the edges that touch the floor. No mention was made of a game room to us which I see is advertised on their website (didn't look at the website prior to going). There is mini golf located right next to the motel, however. The room had nice wallpaper which was peeling especially next to the one bed by the back window.

The positives were the mini fridge (Although we did notice one or two rooms that had a larger fridge), the coffeemaker and provided coffee pods, and the microwave. The room was cleaned each day and the maid did a good job of cleaning and making the beds. There were NO bugs (ants or other kinds) even though there was the fridge, microwave and coffeemaker and we are careful with food products anyway....we used the outside provided trash bins for any food items or utensils. The TV had extremely good reception and many channels available, the internet reception was very well received in our room, the cell phone reception was ok in the room, but was better outside, the grounds seem to be well maintained, the cross ventilation was very nice, but you had to keep the draperies open in order to receive that cross ventilation. Plenty of soap and shampoo were provided.

In summary, it is not a bad motel, just needs attention to some minor problems and attention to the pool and the cleanliness of it. After looking at the pictures another person has provided to tripadvisor, our room was not bad. Again, the room itself was as clean as old can be. I cannot in any way say the room itself was dirty (except for the bedspreads). Would have been nice to have an outside grill available.

Based on my feelings of being termed a "liar" regarding the rates, (which I assure you I was not lying), and the uncleanliness of the pool and the pool area, I most likely would not return unless nothing else in the area was available.

• Liked — microwave, fridge, coffeemaker
  • Disliked — Dirty pool, no continental breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Town Crier Motel? Share your experiences!