“Labor Day Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Labor Day Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This year at the cape it was mostly a grey Labor Day weekend. At this time on the cape that means only one thing, no traffic! Our first night we had a fantastic thunderstorm with all the trimmings - but we were so snug in our Ship's Knees apartment, we confused the drama with a dream. We examined for evidence of rain over a delicious self-serve breakfast and hot coffee. Everyone in our party (the glutefrees, the light breakfast eaters, and the gluttons) was well nourished for a day of cape adventures. We enjoyed driving to local swimming spots and walking to Nauset Beach. After a stop at the well-named Friends Market, we enjoyed wine and provisions in our cozy apartment retreat. My husband and I shared a room that had been newly painted and redecorated. My mom had a private room and my sister slept on the large couch bed in the living room. It all worked out great and everyone had a nice view from their rooms. Cheers to Peter and his bride for all the hard work on the gardens and grounds. Oh, for dog lovers, a special friend will greet you in the office (for you non-dog folks no worries, he is very mellow and well mannered and mostly out of sight). We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was at the Ship's Knees this past long weekend (Labor day) with my boyfriend and my brother and his wife. The Inn was really comfortable and quaint. We really enjoyed our stay. Location was perfect as we were walking distance to the beach, plenty of parking available, great breakfast, beautiful patio with a great little fire pit!
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone needing a place to stay in the Cape!

Room Tip: My only critique would be that the room was on the smaller side and the pillows were really hard!
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed for four nights a few years back and I should have reviewed the Ship's Knees more promptly, but I have to add my two thumbs up for this charming place now. Peter was so kind to email answers to my questions before we arrived. He had wonderful tips for how to spend our time. The location is convenient to Nauset Beach. We enjoyed breakfast outside and conversation with other guests. I slept like a baby in this quiet, clean, comfortable room. We hope to return someday soon.

Room Tip: My husband and I had adjoining rooms in the main house. Mine had a door leading out to the courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our time at the Ship's Knees came at the end of a series of upmarket hotel stays in New York and Boston - and what a relief! Charming, relaxed ambiance, super-helpful hosts, characterful rooms and a breakfast menu to die for.
Being Cape Cod first timers we tried hard to get it right using all the websites and even Google Earth - and it was worth every second spent. For a relaxed, comfortable and brilliantly-situated place to stay on the Cape - look no further then the Ship's Knees.
We'll be back....

Maynard, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was my first stay (a weekend in early Aug.) and I couldn't be happier with my experience. I very much enjoyed the location (walking distance to beautiful Nauset Beach), decor/antiques, continental breakfast (delicious scones!!), ample parking, landscaping, welcoming outdoor patio and gas fire pit. The owners are a friendly, down-to-earth couple (from my home state of Connecticut!), who have hard-working staff who keep the inn clean, neat, and inviting. The historical gray shingled, Nantucket-style building is very charming and feels like vintage Cape Cod (in a good way). Overall the value is great for the location and services. Would highly recommend this property and plan to stay next year too.

Room Tip: The property is set back off the road on a small hill, so it seemed like most rooms would be on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We visited Cape Cod after seven years and once again stayed with Peter and Denise at the Ships Knees Inn.
Many improvements have been made making the Inn more visitor friendly ..availability of larger rooms.Breakfast foods have been upgraded to more choices and better presentation.
The pool area is very pleasant, and would be even better if pool was heated.
The Inn has that old Cape Cod feeling of days past, a good thing in a time when so much has been "improved" to the contemporary and impersonal style.
Gardens are lovely with traditional plantings, all is well manicured and inviting.
Denise and Peter are welcoming, friendly and never too busy to talk.
When we think of Cape Cod we think of The Ships Knees Inn.

Room Tip: rooms are small, for sleeping not to spend the day in . However larger rooms or suites are available...
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in the Nauset suite for 2 nights and wish it was for longer! It was better than a 5* hotel. There was plenty of room for 3 adults as the main bedroom area had a small living area and TV of it's own and could easily be separated by doors from the main lounge and sofa bed. The whole property was fantastic in every way from the beautiful pool to the excellent breakfasts, patio areas, beach chairs etc to borrow and short walk to lovely beach. Would definitely stay here again - situated in one of the nicest places on the cape.

Room Tip: The Nauset suite was lovely for 3 adults but I would imagine every room is perfect
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ship's Knees Inn? Share your experiences!