“A big disappointment!” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Motel   |   61 Chase Avenue, P.O. Box 1131, Dennis Port, MA 02639   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Dennis Port
“A big disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

I went to the Breakers for a time-share pitch. Several of my family members own time-share and I thought I would look into owning as well. I arrived at the Breakers and was a little taken back by the facility right from the start. They had remodeled one facility, which looked more like a motel than a resort. It was a huge disappointment! The rooms I was shown were located in the new building built across the street from the beach. Most of the view was of a parking lot. One room did have a view of the beach, but you had to tilt your head to see it. The units were small and didn't have much as far as accommodations go. The area in which I was taken to hear the whole pitch was frightening. They said that they were going to renovate this area as well. Boy, did it need it! I couldn’t believe that they were charging people (at a reduced rate of $75.00) to stay there for checking out their time-share place. One look at the place would have made me run. It looked like something from the projects. The pitch was designed to make you feel like an idiot if you didn't buy their time-share. Frankly, I think if you invest money into the Breakers, you are in for trouble. The place doesn’t deserve a minute of your time. The "gifts" I was given were outdated and could not be used. The $100. 00 gift certificate is worthless. In order to get any money back (in increments of $10 every 30 plus days) you have to send in a form perfectly filled out and wait to hear back from them. When you finally hear back (months later), you have to get (exactly to the penny) $10 of gas and get a receipt for it. Then you send it into the company with yet another form (perfectly filled out) and wait 4-6 weeks. After that, if they feel you did everything correctly (if not, they throw your information away and do not contact you) you are sent a check for $10 and are given the next certificate to get $10 in gas. The process continues . . . You are given 18 months to use your coupons. Given the time restraints, you would never get the $100 in cash. The vacation for 2 is even worse. The first thing you have to do is go on line and register. That wouldn't be so bad, except when I put in the number they gave me it came up invalid. Therefore, I have a worthless piece of paper. On the bright side of all this . . . the Cape is a beautiful place to take a day trip.

• Stayed June 2006

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I made reservations for my family in early June 2005 to stay at the Breakers in July. I was told that there was a pool (which was a big hole in the ground, with water the shade of green, not swimmable yuck). I was also told that my room had a great view of the ocean. The view was from a lower level unit looking at a parking lot. The beach was nice, but that was the only good part. Other than that it was a waste of time, and I ended up getting more headaches because they were also doing some minor renovations which we were never told about. If I knew any of this I would have never have giving them my credit card in the first place, and I would have called another motel, and hopefully they were telling me the truth about everything going on at their resort. Anything to get a buck. If they told the truth of what was going on with their property, maybe I would stay there in the future, when all the renovations were done!! The Breakers definitely lost a future guest, and I'm not going to ever recommend them either. You need to be up front in the begining. Customer service is not a priority at this motel.

• Stayed July 2005
Old Lyme, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

We took our family of five to the Breakers for an overnight to meet up with our cousins from the Mid-West. They were staying next door at a B&B. My twelve year old son thought the room was disgusting. There was mold growing in and around the tub and corners of the bathroom. Signs of water damage was on the bathroom door and the ceiling. The pool was green and there was no way I was going to allow my children to swim in it. I never saw anyone in it the whole time we were there. The front desk staff was extremely rude. I forgot to bring my hair dryer and I wanted to borrow one - they don't have one! I have never had this happen at any other hotel/motel. In all we were glad it was only one night - never again.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

My girlfriend and I arrived at the Breakers in Dennisport, MA on the 5th of July, 2005 and checked out on the 8th of July, 2005. The rooms at the Breakers are inexpensive, however a complete waste of time and money. The "motel" has changed their strategy to be more focused on selling their units as condominiums rather than putting time and effort into things like customer service and maintaining the property. The views from this motel are breathtaking views of Nantucket Sound, but that and a friendly & courteous cleaning staff were the only positives I can say about the Breakers. Tom, the owner/manager was very courteous when I stayed at the Sea Lord in 2004, but was a tough person to speak to on this particular visit - especially when it relates to being unsatisfied with the property he manages. The property has some sort of affiliation with "mini vacations" which I believe is a corporation that sells condos. On the evening of the 5th I visited the lobby of the motel to inquire about getting a partial refund and checking out of the motel early. I was told that the owner had left for the evening and the receoptionist promised that I would be contacted by the owner at 8 am the next morning.....I never heard back from either the receptionist or owner. What really upset me was that I later saw the owner standing in the lobby but the receptionist never mentioned anything to him when I walked into the lobby to ask an unrelated question. The property itself is not being very well maintained - the swimming pool water had a greenish color. The most activity I saw at this motel were by construction workers that were renovating the ocean front suites and by the director of marketing who spends much of his time pacing the beach in attempt to find individuals who would be interested in buying a unit. I have already advised family members and friends who planned on staying here to look elsewhere on the Cape. It is unfortunate that what had been a very nice place to stay has not been taken care of. I'm sure it's not the current owner's faulth entirely, but you should at least be informed that the swimming pool is not in condition to be used and that the motel is undergoing major renovations. I'm sure that once the work is complete and the units have been sold off, the Breakers will be a very nice condo to stay at. Also, what type of motel doesn't inquire about how your stay was when you check out? Sorry Breakers, but that's just poor customer service. Perhaps I'm just one of many unsatisfied customers?

Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Breakers on the Ocean from July 7 to July 9th. We were promised an Ocean Front View of the Breakers on the Ocean what we got was a Sand Dune. The people at the Front Desk were rude and barely acknowledged us when we were to check in. To top it all off the Sinks in the bathroom were leaking water on the Floor.
I recommend all that read this review to not stay at the Breakers on the Ocean the place would be a waste of your money.

E. Providence, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2004

We booked June 8,9,10 to take advantage of off season, mid week special, advertised in Prov. Journal. Were told by telephone reservation clerk that all ocean view rooms that were advertised were taken, so we settled for last two "Economy Rooms". When we arrived the place looked deserted and I asked if there were any cancellations so we could upgrade to an ocean view.
We were told there were none. I then asked desk clerk if there were any cancellations during our stay to please upgrade us. That event never happened. What I learned during our stay was that a time share hotel on the same street uses The Breakers to house their customers. What happened is 90% of their customers did not show, so the rooms they reserved at The Breakers were empty. Meanwhile, we were not offerred an upgrade, even though the Hotel had ocean view rooms empty. This management policy is no way to win repeat customers, and advertising oceanview specials in the newspaper when none are available is also bad policy.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2004

Absolutely horrible. We were promised a nice room with indoor pool and gym. To our astonishment, we got none of these. The front desk was pretty rude and didn't care if we stayed or left. We left 1 day early out of the 3 days which we paid for.

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!