“Loved hearing the ocean waves” 2 of 5 stars

The Garlands
117 Old Wharf Rd., Box 506, Dennis Port, MA 02639   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dennis Port
NY
“Loved hearing the ocean waves”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you are looking solely to sit on your patio and read or listen to the ocean waves, this is for you. Pros: Accommodating staff, although only there from 8 to 5:30. Must leave keys under mat when leaving. When seated in the livingroom, it felt like you were in a boat, water all around. The sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks was great.
Cons: The unit we stayed in was so outdated. I used my imagination to make believe that it was my unit and I filled it with used furniture and things I did not need in my main house. The table was great. The other furniture outdated and uncomfy. I thought I felt fleas.at times. The bedroom was wall to wall bed, little room to move. The bathroom was also small and barely enough room to fit into the shower. There was just a tiny stretch of beach, and you had to walk down steep stairs and climb over rocks to get to it, at low tide only. This is not a place I would bring a family, you have to drive everywhere. The doors did not shut because of the rust. I expected a little rust as you are on the beach. We only stayed two nights and made the best of it, but I would not stay there again. No air conditioning, just small fans. I would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a great view of the ocean, so close you feel as if you can step out the door...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
oshawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I would like to start off by saying that when you are booking your room, what you are getting is very misleading. We thought we were booking the Garlands building and got Seaside instead. I guess all units are owned by different people, and one property manager manages all buildings at this location. We were a little worried about this at first. It turned out for our benefit though, as we loved our building, unit and location. All rooms in Seaside faced the ocean; whereas the Garlands buildings faced the parking lot.

We thoroughly enjoyed our unit - number 8 - large two bedroom, top (2nd) level, on the far end. It was very spacious and clean. No bathtub though, just a shower stall. Kitchen was large with a full size fridge and stove, and microwave. Wifi and tv were good. Master bedroom is a fair size, and windows face the ocean. You can hear the waves crashing at night. So nice.

One thing to note though was all furniture in this unit is very uncomfortable. Living room furniture, while it looked fairly new, had no support at all. You just sunk right down into the small couch, which is actually a love seat, and could not get comfortable. Only other living room furniture was an arm chair. If you needed extra seating, you have to bring over a wooden chair from the kitchen table. The master bedroom bed is horrible. It's only a double, but advertised as a queen. And it's very old and worn - roll into the middle. We really had a hard time sleeping in this bed. A new mattress is desperately needed in this room. Didn't try the single beds in the second bedroom though.

Balcony in this unit was amazing, larger than the others, and overlooked the ocean just feet away. No bbq though.

Location was perfect for us - away from the hustle and bustle. We stayed for a week just after Labor Day, so things were definitely quieter than during the summer. This location was a nice short drive to nearby food and shopping. But be prepared for a lot of restaurants to be closed for the season after Labor Day.

Other than the few negatives about the unit furniture, we had a fantastic week at Seaside, Dennis Port, Cape Cod.

Room Tip: No. 8 is huge but bed is bad.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I'm very forgiving of Cape Code motels. Most were built in the 50's and 60's, and they have such a short season to make their profits. I don't ask for anything fancy at all - just something clean even if it is old.

The Garlands is a collection of individually owned condo units. There is a big range in what you can get. While my unit was not at all good, there were a couple that looked fine.

We reserved Unit B, which is an oceanfront unit.

The good:
1) The view from the deck was amazing. The deck was completely private.
2) Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean was amazing.
3) The motel was quiet.

The neutral:
1) It's on the beach, but there is just the tiniest spit of sand at high tide in one corner. At high tide, the stairs to the beach are in the water. Fortunately, it is a very short walk to two public beaches. Ten minutes at most.
2) The rates are very reasonable - but for a reason.

The bad:
1) Our unit was filthy and dilapidated. It wasn't even close. See my photos for documentation.
2) We had an ant problem in the kitchenette.
3) The bathroom was full of mold, missing grout, etc.

Despite the million dollar view, I would not even think about staying here again. And believe me, I am not at all fussy. The owners of this unit take no pride whatsoever in their unit. The Garlands should not rent it out until they update it. The other owners should be upset since this was clearly one of the worst units. While there are some better units, there were plenty that were very rough around the edges. It is truly hit or miss with this resort, with mostly misses. Since all of the units are priced the same, it's not worth the risk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hinsdale, Mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

While I would love to give The Garlands a five star review I cannot because of a few setbacks. First off the units are small but it suited my husband, my five year old son and myself. Each unit is decorated and updated differently. Our unit (7) was very nicely updated and kept up. However, there is no air conditioning. Which really bothered my husband. It didn't really cool off till about 2am. And if you wanted to stay in your room during the day forget about it. Secondly, there is no pool. Which was a bummer for my son and myself. Third, we had left a do not disturb sign on the door and when we got back later we realized housekeeping had been there. Which was a little disturbing and I felt that was invasion of our privacy. The last thing is each unit has a numbered parking spot. Which I liked and disliked. I liked this because our spot was always open. Years before when we went to the Cape the parking lots are horrible and you can never find a space. The only reason I disliked it is because someone could tell if you were in your room or not. Other than that management was very nice, easy check in and check out. Be advised though there is no staff there from 5pm to 9am. You have to call a manager if there's a problem. If the hotel had a pool or a/c I would have rated it very good.

Room Tip: We were in unit 7 which was updated and clean.
Livingston, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The unit we stayed in was small and outdated and worn out. It did not feel clean to me. The pictures from their site was not as true to what we are staying at. I agree with the other lower ratings. I question housekeepings idea of clean and vacuuming!

Springfield Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had a great stay at the Garlands. Even though it was mid-August and the unit is not air conditioned, we were comfy because the Atlantic Ocean was right outside our window. The sound of the the surf made sleeping superb. The decor was a bit "kitschy" but the location on Cape Cod was great. We were close to all the activities we wanted to do. And the price was quite good for the season. It's a good thing to get such a nice price on your stay on the Cape, because everything else there is overpriced.
Oh, not all the units are as close to the breakers as the one we were in. There is no pool but there is a private beach. Also, no restaurant -- but do they need any more restaurants on Cape Cod?

Florence, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently spent a week at the Garlands. I rarely complain about accomodations, but for the price, I expected a LOT more. Although they are clean, the units are very tiny. Although we had a two bedroom unit, there wasn't even any room to put our luggage - even the beds were too low to store a suitcase under. Luckily, there were only three of us, so we were able to use the remaining twin bed to place our luggage on. Even with only three people staying in the unit, it was less than ideal. The bathroom was not well ventilated, and it resulted in a sauna-like effect when taking a shower. Leaving the door open wasn't an option, unless you wanted everyone in the unit to have a "view." And, despite our requests for additional linens, housekeeping would only give us two washcloths a day...for three occupants....

Also, beware that the management leaves promptly at 5pm. No one is on premises to police the goings on after hours. We had the misfortune of having a unit between two families that knew each other. They were extremely discourteous, playing music and constantly yelling at their children. Given the closeness of the units - and the fact that no air conditioning requires that you leave the windows open - we couldn't escape the noise.

We also came back to the room one day to find that housekeeping had shut all of the windows and turned off all of the fans...on a 90 degree day. Did I mention that the units do not have air??!!

The beach was also very narrow. At high tide, the beach is non-existent.

Again, the unit is extremely clean, and I understand that we had the misfortune of getting caught between discourteous guests. But, for almost $200/night, I do not feel that I got my money's worth.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Garlands? Share your experiences!