“A pleasant activity even for beginners” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Bodies of Water
Attraction Details
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“A pleasant activity even for beginners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I have very different extents of experience in kayaks. I have spent 20 years in white water including the Alps, Zambezi and White Nile. In contrast, my better half has a fear of water.

To my amazement, this trip was her suggestion (I suspect sunstroke :-) ). We hired kayaks from right on route 28 by the river bridge. We were soon familarised and my wife was reassured by the the boats' stability. They also had open tops instead of being tightly enclosed as is usually the case. She felt less trapped, soon relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Despite being a white water fan, I found the placid paddle to be very enjoyable and relaxing.

Because the tide was coming in, we were advised to paddle upriver to the Swan Pond. It was a simple matter to follow the twists & turns of the river for 20 minutes up to the Pond (it's big so more of a lake really - perhaps they chose 'pond' because of confusion with the ballet). We then spent about half an hour exporing the nooks & crannies of the lake. I landed on a small island, which I reclaimed for Britain and King George III. I await the ruling of the international court.

Visited June 2013

Wallingford, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“Enjoy an adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We kayaked toward the beach and had an exhilarating afternoon. I don't think we laughed this much on any of the other activities that we did. To rent a kayak, we went to a place right on rt 28. The people we very reassuring and confident that we would not tip over as this was the first time we had kayaked. It was a blast and would recommend it to anyone!

Visited July 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
“Experience a fun tidal river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We used an unofficial put-in site to paddle our kayaks into Swan Pond, down the river into the ocean, and back up. Had to fend off a goose on the way down! Definitely check the tide charts and your stamina if you finish by paddling upstream - it was punishing fighting the current even though we had the rising tide on our side. At low tide, the mouth of the river is a walk, not a paddle.

Visited April 2012
Leverett, MA
23 attraction reviews
“Pleasant low flow reiver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

You can enter this river from route 28 in Dennisport, very near the intersection for route 28 and route 134. You can rent boats and paddle your way downstream to the ocean on the south shore of Cape Cod. Or, you can paddle your way upstream to Swan Pond and paddle around the island in the relatively small pond. You can make the entire round trip in a couple of hours, depending on how ambitious you are. In the process you will pass along a winding small river with lots of reeds on the banks and a variety of birds. If the ocean is calm, you can readily simply paddle from the river into the ocean, but this is not advisable if there is any surf. All, in all, a pleasant river to paddle. Bring your sunscreen.

Visited July 2011
NJ
4 attraction reviews
“Paddle to the beach or the Swan Lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Rent a kayak or a paddleboat (Right on 28) and enjoy the wildlife. I don't think I've seen that many diffrent birds in any zoo, not to mention in the wild. You can choose the direction - towards beach or into the lake. We always pick the beach, as drop our kayaks there and just relax for a while.