“So good we went back” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
raleigh, nc
“So good we went back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

This restaurant was recommended to us by James at the Corsair and Cross Rip. He really put us onto some great food. Our dishes were prepared with skill and very good attention to flavor. The portions were more than adequate, so much so that my wife and i were too full from our meals to even think about deserts. Our server was "Abbey" and she did a wonderful job of seeing that we were sent home with a smile on our faces.

When we got ready to go out another night we were going to sample one of the local fish houses, but no, we thought of the wonderful meal we had a Spargo and decided we'd go back. Our first trip we had eaten seafood didhes, this time I did a steak (superb) and she opted for another seafood dish. You can't go wrong here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Boston, MA
“My favorite place on the Cape!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

This restaurant is my favorite one on the Cape!! The food is really good and every year they seem to tweak the menu to make it even better. The atmosphere is charming and the service has been consistently quick and friendly.

Seacoast NH
“Middle of the Road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

This is a very popular restaurant, so tastes vary but we find the food mediocre at best. Nothing special and nothing bad. Selections are too fatty for our taste. There are several vastly superior restaurants nearby that feature healthier and more interesting menus.

Tolland, Connecticut
“Delicious seafood strudel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

Went here to eat at 5:30 PM, before show at Cape Playhouse across the street. Walked in with no reservation, seated immediately in the bar area. The place filled up quickly, within ten minutes. We figured the people with reservations got the non-bar area seats.

Had the seafood strudel, which is scallops, shrimp and crab (can't remember if there is lobster) in Newburg sauce in puff pastry. Overall taste was the crab, delicious! Came with very tasty, creamy mashed potatoes (called piped potatoes) and string beans, very fresh. I thought $16.99 was a very good price for this. Waitress said it's a very popular, regular menu item. Also had the Sangria, , $7.99, also delicious, which was a special.

My husband had the drunken pork chops (bourbon molasses sauce), which were quite good, with haystack sweet potatoes, which were like seasoned string french fries. This was a special, about $20. Decor, atmosphere and ambience very pleasant. Service started slow, but quickened, and we were out by 6:40, plenty of time to go out for ice cream before our 8:00 play.

Hyde Park, NY
“OK but would not recommend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My wife and I just returned from Cape Cod and had dinner on a Friday night at Scargo Cafe. We had heard many good reviews of the restaurant. I had heard about there signature Seafood Strudel dish on our last trip in October and was looking forward to trying it.
We had reservations for 8PM. We arrived and were seated promptly. There were a few others people waiting for tables at the time. My wife and I are nor big drinkers and ordered diet cokes. We were surprised that the restaurant did not have Coke or Pepsi products and given a no name brand diet soda which was not good. The meal started with a loaf of bread which was very good. Hot, crusty, and tasty. My wife ordered stuffed mushrooms with a shrimp stuffing which was very good. I ordered a shrimp cocktail that was not very good. The shrimp was watery. The cocktail sauce was terrible. It tasted as it was flavored with Tabasco sauce and no noticeable horseradish. It left a burning taste in your mouth that hot sauce tends to do. My wife ordered New England clam chowder that was good. A bit thicker than I like, but good flavor.
We both ordered the Seafood Strudel which is supposed to be the signature dish. It was according to the menu a "medley of genuine crab meat, gulf shrimp, and sweet scallops baked in a light flaky pastry crust crowned with Newburg sauce and a pair of extra large shrimp served with our piped potatoes" The pastry crust was not light and flaky. It was undercooked and tasted of raw flour. The seafood inside was not very tasty. The Newburg sauce that topped the strudel was the best part but there was not enough. There were two broiled shrimp which topped the strudel which were nicely cooked and tasty and went well with the sauce. I wish I had ordered just the shrimp and the Newburg sauce. The potatoes were mashed potatoes piped into a small casserole dish and browned under a broiler. The piped potatoes were according to our waitress supposed to be parmesan flavored. They were bland. There was no flavor. They were not browned. They were bad mashed potatoes piped into a dish. Neither of us ate more than a couple of fork fulls.
Our waitress was very good and I had no complaints with the service. The atmosphere was nice but nothing special in the decor. The tables were nicely spaced and we did not feel crowded.
We went really looking forward to the food and especially the seafood strudel. There were other interesting dishes on the menu. I wish that had tried something else to see if we just made a poor entree choice.
Overall the restaurant did not live up to reviews or expectations. I would not make the Scargo Cafe a recommendation to anyone who asked my opinion.

scargoboy, Owner at Scargo Cafe, responded to this review, August 19, 2008
please know that we continue to stand behind our commitment to total guest delight. I know that you were only offering your impressions but please allow me to send you an invitation to return as my guest. I am sorry that your server wasn't aware enough to realize that we had a problem that needed to be corrected and that your visit was allowed to end in a bit of a disappointment. Your dining experience as a whole should have been a satisfying, unhurried event filled with great food and exemplary service... no matter what! No excuses. That is my promise and I intend to deliver on it and although you ordered a very consistent and reliable menu selection, I trust that you will allow us a chance to show you what a great experience here is like.