“Eccentric, but worth it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Attractions in Dennis
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
N Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“Eccentric, but worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

There was one special item I was really keen to purchase - an original Cape Cod screwball bracelet from Eden Hand Arts.

The whole experience was really quite something - they are only open a few days a week, for a few months of the year, only a couple of customers are allowed into the shop at a time, and there is always a long queue patiently waiting outside.

Having eventually found the shop (a challenge in itself) I waited for over an hour before being allowed to enter. At 3.30pm those already in the queue were advised they would be admitted that day, but no-one else would be permitted. Several people attempted to join the end of the queue but the shopkeepers came out and asked them to leave. While I was in the shop a "jumper" was spotted, trying to join the queue further up the line, and they too were promptly chased!!!

Despite all these eccentricities the staff in the shop were lovely, they took their time measuring your wrist and checking your requirements. Despite the queue outside, there was no pressure to rush. Fortunately my husband and younger kids chose to spend the wait paddling in a local pond, but my eldest daughter chose to stay with me (however with hindsight she would chose the pond next time!)

It really was a unique experience and added to the memories the bracelet will bring of our wonderful time spent in Cape Cod. If you too want an original Cape Cod bracelet you can't order online, or by phone, the only way to get one is to go to Cape Cod and join that queue (and apparently now you need a ticket too! - I went a couple of weeks ago - the ticketing had not started, but the "know what you want"door at the side was not in use)

Toronto, Canada
“Love my bracelet, however they need to change their system...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I absolutely love my original gold and silver screwball bracelet. I went with my husband and two daughters. We are from Toronto and travelled down to the Cape. I read other reviews before we arrived so I kind of knew what to expect. However on the day we went you now have to get a ticket at the beginning of the day or else you will not be served--no exceptions. We were there August 13th which was a Thursday. I went online to check out their website for directions and thank goodness I did as they had added the note about how you need a ticket...we got there at around 9:30 in the morning (they don't open until 10) and it was a zoo. There were cars everywhere, no where to park and there was a police officer directing traffic(keep in mind this is a residential area!!). None the less my husband dropped me off and I went in search of one of the staff to get a ticket. By the time I find him he only had tickets for the afternoon between 1:30 & 4. We were happy to get tickets though because there was a woman in line who was in tears because she had driven over 8 hours and she did not get one. We decided to head to Dennis beach for the day and return later. We got back at 12:15 stood in a line behind maybe 5 people(the line of people who know what they want) and were served in about 15 minutes. We bought a bracelet for my husband and I and our 12 year old daughter and earring for our 6 year old daughter. Although it was a challenge we are so happy with the jewellery. The woman who owns the place is like the "soup nazi" on the Seinfeld epidsode so be warned...or "No jewellery for you!"

New Bedford, Massachusetts
“Not happy! :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I had gone here last year and bot a bracelet, earrrings and necklace and had given them my name and phone # for a pinky ring. I never heard anything so I went there this past Wednesday since I was on vacation, hoping to get the ring and a new tag for my bracelet (it broke off shortly after I got it). I traveled an hr and 15 min and found their sign said they were no longer open on Wednesday so I came back on Thursday. When I got there I got in the "I know what I want line" and saw a sign leaning on the corner of the building that said if you didn't have a ticket you wouldn't get service. So I started talking to people and they said that this was something new, apparently this week, lucky me! You have to come in the morning and get a ticket. So I debated about standing there or leaving, and knowing how the owner is (I would say she is like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld - no jewelry for you!) I decided I might as well leave because they probably wouldn't have waited on me without the ticket, even though there were about 5 people in line. It would have been nice if they would have put that info on their sign out front that you now have to have a ticket to get service. It's too bad, because I like the jewelry but I'm not going to travel an hour and 15 min in "hopes" of getting a ticket and get there and I can't get one. What do they expect people from out of state to do, or do they care? Terrible system. I'd be curious to know what people think.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lost my business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Returning year after year to Eden I have finally had enough with their system. I have spent at least $500 dollars at their store and waited 45 minutes to 2 hours each visit. While the wait is worth it in the end; the politics behind the scenes are ridiculous.

A group of friends and i arrived there this morning before they were set to open. A line of about 15 customers were waiting outside the door which we had expected. After a few minutes we were informed we needed a "ticket" to get in the store...which essentially meant you need a ticket to still wait in line for a hour. Now to get a ticket you need to drive to Eden and hope that you can get one for that day. For us that was simply not the case. Our tickets are valid FIVE days from now. Luckily we live here so we can go back, those customers who were turned away because they didn't have a ticket might not be able to.

When we asked the man selling the tickets how we would have found out about their new system he simply stated "its on our website." For customers such as us and i'm sure other regulars; we don't go to the website because we don't need directions and we already know the hours. The website itself is a bunch of crap because you cant order any jewelry on the site or even view the merchandise.

Needless to say, I will not be returning in five days with my ticket. Eden has lost my business and my friends business as well. If you are on vacation don't waste your time at Eden. The experience is not what it used to be, and while I realize they are trying to control the overflow of customers; there are serious flaws in their new system.

Go back in November because in the summer you wont have anywhere to park, you'll need a ticket, and you'll wait in line only to deal with borderline rude staff that watches you like a hawk in the store. Spend your money somewhere else during your vacation.

Ohio
“Love,Love Love my bracelet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Please read all of the rules and reviews before going here.

I am from Ohio and I never heard of the Cape Cod bracelet until going to Cape Cod. I did however read about the store here on Trip Advisor. Once I got to the Cape I found out that they are now closed on Wenesday because of high demand. I ended up going on Thursday. I arrived around 9:40 am and it was crazy packed. No parking what so ever. So I followed other cars parking on the street. The owner came out and yelled to everyone, move or you will get ticketed or towed. I asked her where to go, "she replied I don't know, try coming back some other time". Well I was not going to let that stop me. I drove about 3/4 of a mile on 6A and parked in an old bank that was up for sale. Anyone who has ever been to Cape Cod knows that parking really stinks. I enjoy walking so I did not feel that this was going to be a problem.
When I finally got there I could not believe how many people were there. As mentioned in other posts there are two lines. I really wanted to go inside and waited in that line for about 15 minutes and then moved to the express line (ha ha) . Let me tell you that they stated that it would take about 4 hours to actually get in the store and browse. I waited in the express/know what you want line for about 1 hour and 45 minutes to be waited on.
This is such an interesting place. It is a quaint little cottage. However, something about this place reminds me of the" soup nazi" on Siefneld. Do not tick the owner off because she just might say "no jewerly for you". She seems like a really hardworking woman, along with all of the ladies there. So I get the owner's frustration with the business. It is pretty funny when you are in line every so often she would scream out orders or rules. All of this made my desire to have this jewerly more so than when I arrived.
I decided on the traditional Cape Cod bracelet with the two gold balls. It came to $185 with tax. It seems pricey, however, it is not massed produced and it is soooooo cute. Right after I got my bracelet, it began to pour. Perfect timing, except I had to walk almost a mile to get to my car. That really stunk, but at least I had my Cape Cod bracelet. Luckily I was not ticketed or towed.

Tips
- Cash or check
- Make you husband, boyfriend or whoever drop you off and figure out parking from there
- Did hear people say to park at Scargo Lake but this was after I was in line and parked
- Get there early, she did not let anyone else in line after 11:30 am