“Rude is the Word” 3 of 5 stars

Cape Cod
13 attraction reviews
“Rude is the Word”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The owners of Eden Hand Arts are rude. That is all I have to say! They now go by a ticket system and people make reservations beforehand online. A much better system that standing in line outside, even when you are the only one there and are still told to wait outside in the cold, like a dog. After being told, "I didn't tell you yo could come in!. (to an empty store, by the way.) Rude, that is all I have to say.

Austin, Texas
23 attraction reviews
“Quite an experiece, but not for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I used to live on the Cape (pre-Bachelorette) and never got around to buying any of the Eden jewelry. Since I no longer live in MA, I had to ask a friend who still lives on the Cape to buy the original Cape Cod Screwball Bracelet and to send it to me 2-3 years ago. However, she was not able to get me the matching neck wire—they require the customer to come in to get it fitted. Since I traveled to the Cape for vacation this summer, I decided to stop by to purchase the neck wire, see what all the fuss is about, and share my experience to help others decide if it is worth it.

Purchasing jewelry from Eden is quite an experience and I have to admit, I don’t think it is for everyone. I read a lot of complaints about the poor customer service. Obviously, the store is in business and is very successful thanks to their products, not for their customer service.

Here is what I encountered:

Eden’s web site is not easy to find. Here is the link to save you some time: http://vst.cape.com/~rch/eden.html. Judging from older reviews, it seems that from time to time, the store’s “rules” change. Aware of the possible issues, I checked the website about 2 weeks prior to my arrival on the Cape. I visited in mid-June and according to the website, no tickets were needed until the end of June, but it was recommended to double-check by calling (508) 385-9708. The recording at that number informed me, that no tickets were necessary. The store was open 10:00—5:00 and I arrived with my husband between 10:30 and 10:45 a.m. and there was already a long line outside. I knew this was going to be a small store, but I was still surprised how small it was. As they warn customers on their website, the parking is really limited. There are a few spots in front of the store, behind the “EDEN” sign, and some additional parking accessible from Dr. Lord’s Rd. They did not let more than 2 customers in at a time. I noticed that they would let in a group of 2-3 people together as one customer (I had no problem getting in with my husband), but they would not let in a family of 4-5. However, customers who knew what they wanted or wanted to make an exchange could come to the side door and an Eden employee would help them outside. Since I have never been inside the store, I decided to wait. I had to wait for almost 1.5 hour to get inside the store. The store is one tiny room with a few display cases with jewelry (screw ball collections, herring collection, and a few other styles) and some pottery. Unfortunately, they do not allow taking pictures inside the store. There were three employees working and since they only let 2 customers in at a time, I got undivided attention of the lady who was helping me. She was not super friendly, I did not get the best customer service ever, but I have to admit that I did not feel rushed even thought there was a long line outside and there was absolutely no pressure to buy. (However, everybody I saw walking out of the store bought something). The Eden employee kept taking out all the items I wanted to see, and patiently kept brining and putting slightly different sizes of bracelets on my wrist until I decided what bracelet and size would work best for me. She fitted my neck wire and taught me how to put it on. I purchased a silver neck wire with a gold screw ball to go with the bracelet I already had and a silver bracelet with two golden balls. I was little surprised that the purchased jewelry was wrapped in cheap flimsy paper boxes (mine got crushed in the suitcase) and the only thing that had Eden logo on it was the small card they put inside one of them (and the receipt).

To sum up my experience and explain my rating, I would give Eden 5 for the jewelry (love it) and 3 for the customer service—that is how I came up with 4 overall. However, my expectations were not high: I knew there may be a parking issue, I expected to wait, I did not ask them for any favors (like using the bathroom, coming in with several people, or getting in after they put out “closed” sign). My jewelry is the right size, the neck wire fits perfectly and as I don’t live in MA anymore, I don’t have to be afraid that I will see too many people wearing the same pieces.

Some tips:
--When I lived on Cape Cod, I observed two kinds of opinions about Eden, the original Cape Cod Screwball bracelet, and Eden jewelry among the locals: some people said, it was worth it and if you want it, go through the hoops to get “the original”. Others would tell you, don’t even bother and get it elsewhere, it is not worth the hassle and the attitude of the owners; they sell similar jewelry all around the Cape. My advice is: if you can put up with the wait, rules, and parking issues, can get over the not-so-friendly customer service, and really want “original”, do it. If you don’t have the time or the patience, go elsewhere.

--Make sure you have plenty of cash or have a checkbook ready—Eden does not accept any kind of plastic.

--If you know what you want or need an exchange, go to the side door.

--Check the website couple weeks before your planned visit for store hours and “rules” and call their phone number before your visit to check whether you need a ticket.

--The original Cape Cod Screwball bracelet—silver with one gold ball—was $140 (all silver cost $84, all gold $700, I think), the matching neck wire—silver with one gold ball— was $184 (I noticed that all gold was $1,400). My silver bracelet with two gold balls was $220. Silver ring with one gold ball was $100. The tax was 6.25%.

--I encountered some discussions about whether the "gold" balls on silver jewelry are gold or just gold-plated, so my husband went back and asked. He was told that the gold balls are made of 14 karat gold. Gold screwballs have some other kind of harder metal inside as gold is too soft to "perform" well as a screw.

--The rings only come in full and half sizes—if you need something in between (I need 4 ¾), you are out of luck.

--If you purchase the original Cape Cod Screwball bracelet with the Eden tag, take the tag off, it breaks off easily. Mine fell off once, I put it back, and it broke off couple days later.

--If you lost the tiny tag they put on the original Cape Cod Screwball bracelet, you can get another one only if you bring in the bracelet, otherwise, they won’t do it.

I realize this review is extremely long--but I hope it answered some of the questions you may have had.

Boston, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
“The only place to get an authentic Cape Cod screwball...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went to Eden today for the first time. Tickets were not required until June 22 and luckily it is only the 20th. Please check their website for details before you go. I was able to park out front but got the last spot. Phew! I stood in line for about 45 min before I got to enter the store. It's a very cute store. The lady who helped me was very sweet and helpful so I lucked out. I noticed two other sales ladies there as well but they did not seem cheery. I bought the all silver screwball bracelet. $89+tax. They had a lot of other really nice jewelry as well as some adorable pottery pieces. This is the place to go if you want an authentic screwball bracelet. You have to deal with their quirkiness but overall I had a positive experience largely due to the nice sales lady who helped me. Btw, the ticketing and waiting outside is due to them trying to maintain crowds of people and adhering to the building fire codes.

Orlando
“Horrible customer service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I have purchased a few pieces of jewelry from Eden. I love the jewelry. I got all ready to get my ticket for Eden for my summer vacation this August. I had 4 bracelets to buy. Katie, the Eden ticket lady was extremely rude to me in two separate emails. I never received their automated response to my ticket request so when I didn't get a response I sent another ticket request. Katie responded to me in such a manor that I had to call and leave a message for the owners to let them know that they lost a good customer. I own a business and if I ever treated a customer like I was treated, I'd be out of business!

Visited May 2013
Rochester, MA
“Nice family jewelry shop.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Home of the original Cape Cod Screwball bracelet. Check their website for the rules. Tiny place..need ticket/appointment to go on and browse. Cool small business.