“A Most Wonderful Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deerfield Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Deerfield
Deerfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deerfield
Kentucky
“A Most Wonderful Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Shortly after Christmas I decided to take my elderly mother on an overnight. She lives in a retirement care facility in Vermont, and gets very bored with the same routine day after day. Because it was relatively close and she had lived there 55 years before, I chose to take her to Deerfield, Massachusetts. Although I considered lodging in nearby towns, I decided that we would stay at the Deerfield Inn.

We arrived in the late afternoon on a very cold, icy, windy day. When we stepped inside the Inn, there was a fire in the fireplace, and the desk staff was there to welcome us as if they had known us for years. Our room was large and wonderfully appointed, with just the right mixture of antique furnishings and modern amenities. Although we had originally planned to go elsewhere to eat, we decided to stay at the Inn for our meals, which turned out to be a very good choice - Dinner in the cozy Tavern was delicious, with generous, but not overwhelming portions, and breakfast in the sunny, cheery main dining room was just as good as dinner had been.

In short, it was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing trips I have ever taken. Thanks to the Deerfield Inn, and their wonderful staff, my mother, who is elderly and can be very hard to please, had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed her stay !!! We hated to leave, and I am already planning a return trip with my mother and two sisters.

I would heartily recommend The Deerfield Inn to anyone looking for a change of pace from their hectic schedule. At the Deerfield Inn you can stay connected to the "world" while experiencing a level of comfort and hospitality that is hard to match.

• Stayed December 2009
Daphneanne, Innkeeper at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to seeing you and yours here again. From Jane, Karl, and all of us at the Deerfield Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

Back in the late fall 2009, we found the inn's website and decided on treating ourselves to a night out after the holidays. We could not wait to get out after the hussle and bussle of the holidays. On Saturday Jan. 09, 2010 we visited the inn.We had a couple of reason for picking the night, to have dinner and drinks, to get information about the Burn's dinner and to possibly stay over night. Upon entering the inn we fell in love with warm, cozy, inviting decor. It was so tastefully decorate, a charming New England inn. We arrived and the person at reception was not able to answer our questions about the Burns dinner. We thought if the night went well we might come back in a few weeks with friends. Burn's dinner can be a lot of fun. She referred us to the dining room staff. We found our way to the dining room and we were greeted and seated. Our waitress was young, very pretty, slender with long hair. She was soft spoken and pleasant but did not know anything about the Burn's dinner and reffered us back to reception. The waitress also, did not know much about the specials for the night when we asked questions and we had to keep asking for and waiting for things during our dinner and dessert. (more water, butter, coffee and refills).
The food was presented well and was very good!
After dinner we took our drinks out to the fireplace room . Unfortunately, the fire was out just smoke and ash. We sat almost an hour and no one checked with us to see if we wanted refills on our drinks. ( we did settle our bill before leaving the dining area and told the young woman that we were taking drinks out to sit by the fire and may want refills). The woman at the reception desk was on a cell phone the whole time we sat by the fire. We decided not to disturb her with questions about rooms. We had lost that feeling for spending the night!! All in all it was OK, but nothing real special!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Well, this is a disappointment to learn of your experience. I'm sorry I wasn't at the inn on the evening of your visit. I'll follow up on your comments so we won't fall short next time. I appreciate your input and I'm sorry we let you down. Best regards, Jane
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

The rooms are spacious and very tasteful, the food is excellent and the service great. When we asked for good places to go hiking the Innkeeper even took the time on a busy day to drive us to a nice spot. The staff really makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Daphneanne, Innkeeper at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, December 21, 2009
Dear Deerfield Inn guests,
We thank you for your many, many kind words, your constructive criticism, your repeat visits, your lovely guest book comments, your generosity of heart & hand, and your loyal support of the two of us. We wish you all peace & joy in 2010. xoxo
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We first visited the Deerfield Inn for one night in early November and had a very nice experience, so returned for a two-night stay including Thanksgiving. The innkeepers, Karl and Jane, who have 23 years' experience at the inn, treated us like old friends. When we had asked for a room in the main inn three weeks before Thanksgiving, they made it happen. The ambiance of the guest rooms and Deerfield Village were perfect for the holiday -- authentic New England in a very peaceful, rural setting. Lunch at the tavern the day before the holiday was excellent, and breakfasts (continental free with guest room or from the menu for a reasonable price) were very good. The magnificent Thanksgiving buffet, while pricey at $50 each, was worth every penny. The chef had prepared a real feast, with everything cooked from scratch on the premises, and brought out fresh food in small quantities so the buffet was never "tired." Leftovers from the buffet (turkey, beef tenderloin, and pork roast) were available in sandwich form for evening snacking -- just like at home. We'll be back next year, we hope.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Daphneanne, Manager at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review, and we are glad you had a yummy Thanksgiving dinner. We so appreciate that you wrote such a complete report, and although we won't be ready in time for this November, we will surely be celebrating Thanksgiving next year!
Rodman, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

All the employees and inn keepers were very friendly, but not overdone. They care about the guests. The rooms were well appointed, everything you needed. The food, as expected, was top-notch. If you are looking for a charming place in the middle of early americana, this is the place; very historic. Deerfield is a very quite village, so there are no amenities like bars or other night life. The Inn does have their own, period bar.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
You are so kind and thoughtful to have taken the time to write a review, and I hope you know how very much we appreciate it. I have no excuse apart from my scattiness for failing to thank you, which I do, most sincerely. Our new bar after the restoration will be bigger than before, but still period in feel and structure. Hope you can come back to give it a whirl!
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

this inn was way beyond our expectations! Every inch of the Inn was clean and updated yet with defernce to the period it was built. My husband and I were very pleased with how we were treated during our stay including a family luncheon of 14 people which the inn along with their staff handled with great ease, our family was very impressed as well. Great food in the restaurant as well as the tavern and treated like very special people throughout! My husbands family lives within a 10-20 mile radius of the inn
but always viewed it as too perhaps pricey or upscale and were very happy to finally get to eat there and were also extremely surprised to see our perfectly appointed room as well as bathroom which had been renovated with very high end fixtures. We can't find a thing wrong with this Inn and we will stay there next time we visit his family, no more hotel 8, that's for sure. thanks so much to the innkeepers Karl & Jane Sabo. Nancy & Parker

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Daphneanne, Manager at Deerfield Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
How awful of me to have not thanked you before. I remember you and your family to this day, and we are so glad you had such a happy time. I remember as well speaking of your husband and his interests, so I hope you come back and see, from a professional viewpoint, how we have restored this old inn after Irene. All the best!
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Stopped here during fall foliage tour. Loved it. Rooms, staff, restaurant, bar, location - everything was great. Deerfield village very interesting as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, and I apologize for not having thanked you well before now. Sometimes I just don't get the notifications, and I have made a promise to myself to check TA more often. Pease accept my apologies and my thanks, and know how much we all appreciate so much that you took the time to write.

Been to Deerfield Inn? Share your experiences!