“Like Stepping Back in Time...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Like Stepping Back in Time...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Walking into the Hardcover is like stepping back in time to the 1980's. The walls are dark, the fireplace was raging and the clientele is on the older side. Most salad bars closed down 30 years ago because of health concerns, but not at the Hardcover, they have 2 salad bars! When I went up to the salad bar, the person on the other side was handling the bread with her hands to cut it, leaving the part she touched for the next person to eat. This reminded me why we don't see salad bars around any longer. The main courses were very good, we had the scallops and prime rib combo and the medallions of tenderloin. The meat was cooked perfectly and the sauce was excellent. The service was a little confusing as they take a team approach, so I wasn't sure who to tip.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Beverly, Massachusetts
“Birthday Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

WE went to the Hardcover to celebrate my birthday and it was excellent. The salad bar alone could fill you up so treat carefully when filling your place. I had the Prime Rib...filled my plate and my husband had the Filet Minon both cooked to perfection. I had a nice glass of wine and we finished our meal with the Chocolate Mousse Cake.....fabulous meal and attentive service . One of my favorites.

Visited March 2013
Saugus, Massachusetts
“Great atmosphere, wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I picked my friend up at Logan Airport and we went to the Hardcover Restaurant. I ordered the steak and shrimp special and she ordered the prime rib with scallops. The meals were terrific and the salad bar is well stocked with an assortment of fresh items including bread and cheese. There are books on the walls and the restaurant has a cozy and homey atmosphere. I would recommend the Hardcover and have gone there in the past for special occasions and have enjoyed it every time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lynn, Massachusetts
“excellent salad bar and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The salad bar is fresh and clean and a nice way to start your meal. The service is friendly and efficient. What more can you ask for? Oh yeah, need to order an entree. Well, plenty of choices for both the lovers of seafood and meat, or even both if you want a surf and turf dish. The prices are reasonable for the ambiance especially compared to the high end steak houses. While it is a fairly stable menu, they do offer specials for those who wish to try something different.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great salad bar, that's about it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Been here many times. For some, it is their favorite restaurant. For me, not so much. Their menu is limited and does not really change much. Their wine list is a joke, with very little offered in the way of a nice Pinot noir. Our friends all like the filet mignon or the baked stuff shrimp. I usually order haddock or swordfish. Always just ok. The salad bar is always nicely stocked with lots of choices. For me, the best thing at the restaurant. We probably will go again since this is a popular restaurant for celebrating events. Roomy, good service, and nice décor. However, when it is just hubby and I, you won't find us at The Hardcover.

• Visited July 2013