“Not worth the price for an overnight package.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% off for AAA Members
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Danvers
“Not worth the price for an overnight package.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We planned an overnight stay and looked forward to it for over a month. The directions to get there were misleading and we got alittle confused, but no big deal. The hotel is nearly done being renovated which is nice, however there are no signs when your driving up as to where the main entrance is to check in. Again, we managed so not a big deal. The main lobby and check in desks are nice, the "atmosphere" is clean and pleasant and the staff checking us in we're very friendly and informative. (I wish I could rememver her name to give a shout out for good service). The warm cookies were a nice touch, and she even made sure we weren't allergic to nuts. I had read reviews prior to going so I knew we'd have some walking from the car to the room so we weren't surprised by the distance. The room was pleasant, nice size (besides the bathroom, which is so tiny the door almost touches the toilet when opening it) and the 2 added kids beds were nice to have. My kids thought they were very "cool"! The only complaint is that they are right at the door and hallway wall so if they are sleeping it can be disruptive. There was also a kids dresser and tv, however the tv wouldn't turn on 1/2 the time and when it did it wouldn't change to the menu to choose a channel. (We brought a portable DVD player so problem solved!). The tv for adults worked but would turn to very loud static quite frequently, so we didn't use it for long. The room was decorated nice, nothing special but pleasant and clean. The office chair was quite old and the seat was torn in several places. Because we were in the family suite we had a mini fridge & microwave which was great with the kids snacks. There was a coffee maker with nice coffee and tea but we didn't have any so not sure how it worked or if it was good. There were plenty of towels, pillows, blankets and also nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. The water didn't get "hot" but warm enough to be comfortable! There was a small fan in the bathroom but wasn't sure if it worked because there wasn't a switch. The lighting was fine, no switch when you first walk in, so your walking into the dark to find one. One big complaint is there were 2 electric outlets with plates that weren't attached, one by the king bed and the other inbetween the kids beds by the table. Having a 3 year old boy who loves to explore, I was worried he'd try to touch it. There was a full size iron and board, as well as hair dryer and alot of hangers and "starage" in the closet. We didn't use the ice machines so not sure how they were. Overall the hotel room was pleasant, the issues we had were minor and because we only stayed overnight weren't worth complaining to staff about. There wasn't anyone booked next to us (we were at the end so only shared one common wall), but when people walked in the hall we could hear them clearly. The package comes with 2 arcade cards as well as breakfast at the buffet. We were greated nicely and seated in a nice restaurant area. The breakfast staff were very nice and accommodating. The food was varied: cold cereal, muffins etc as well as eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries with peppers and onions, fresh fruit, a yogurt station with granola and others. The food was good and we all enjoyed it. Although it was included it was 18.95 pp if ordered separate with I personally thought was overpriced. The arcade was nice to have and my kids had fun. The woman working was very helpful and good with kids. She seemed to enjoy her job. The credits preloaded with the package gave them a ton of time to play. The water park was nice. The "night swimming" was cool the night before. There weren't too many people and lines were decent. We were able to get a table to enjoy during our time there, and towels can be requested at no charge. There were lockers for a fee ($6) but we left our things at the table and it was fine. The food was pricey and nothing special but convenient. We had the jumbo hot dogs which are huge and comes with fries as well as the chicken fingers and fries which were good too. There was never a huge line, the food was fresh, and plenty of condiments to help yourself to as needed. There was never a terribly long line for slides considering the park was sold out on the Saturday. The water was a bit cloudy however. I guess that's to be expected at a public attraction but still gross. The staff in the park were nice and friendly and often helpful with assisting my kids onto the slides and lazy river tube. There are so many parents that let there kids run wild as they sit reading, talking, drinking, or SLEEPING. I watched my 3 year old son (within arms reach) get pushed sereral times in the kiddie area by unsupervised children. The lifeguards however are very attentive and don't hesitate to blow their whistle and reinforce the rules. They also continuestly check the water and switch around jobs. It was nice to see as it got busier, more were on staff to assist. Some of the squirt guns were broken which annoyed my son! Overall fun but a workout chasing a kid who can't do much (the kiddie area is only entertaining for so long). Now 2 huge complaints. First there is only one family changing room and the locker rooms only have 3 shower stalls and no additional changing area other then the toilet stall which are wet from continuous use. With a large capacity it's easy for those to have long waits with antsy children. And 2....we all came home covered with a rash. We just went today so I'm hoping its just a "friction" rash but we'll see how it goes. I know it's "public" but it's gross. With the overnight package it wasn't worth the value. If your going for just the day it's better but make sure to reserve ahead of time because we watched a ton of families be turned away due to a sell out. We have a family of 4 with a 3 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter. It's definitely not for the smaller ones, he was exhausted by 3pm and bored. We did leave early because we had done everything. Plan ahead, read the reviews, and have fun, but shower right after!

• Stayed February 2013
Andrew H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Clearymomof2,

I wanted to thank you for your kind remarks regarding the CoCo Key Water Park and youre experience at our hotel. The young lady at the front desk you speak so highly of is Mariah; I have passed on your "shout out". Your observation of the number of lifeguards and staff in the Water Park is appreciative as we take safety seriously as well as want to allow parents an opportunity to relax while we entertain their children. I am confused to see the title of your review as I see that you booked one of our discounted packages and you were so complimentary of our renovations, staffing, and service. I encourage you to contact me so that we may know what will make your next visit with us extraordinary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed last night in preparation for a morning meeting. The hotel looked like it was newly renovated (confirmed by the staff). The main floor was gorgeous and my room was very handsome. I had a tasty salad down in the lounge and everyone was attentive.

The bed was a little soft for my liking, but that is very subjective. Overall, great stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Andrew H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Ed B.,

We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed our recently renovated hotel. We have put immense effort into our redo and it is always nice to see positive feedback on our efforts. We look forward to having you back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Andrew was the best from the time I spoke to him on the phone because mariah(front desk manager never returned either one of my two voicemails) until I checked out. He brings a fun but perfessional attiude. He went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure all the needs of my husband and I was met from food, water resort, arcade, our room, and even the pool. I wish he was going to be there on a permanent basis because I would come back every year. I would recommend this hotel for everyone from couples to familys because it was nice having everything you need without leaving the hotel. I want to thank you andrew once again for all your kindness.

The Mclemores.........

Room Tip: Ask for andrew he will take great care of you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. McClemore,

It was a delight getting to know you over your 4 day stay and we are thrilled that your experience were awersome. Ms. Mariah was out of town for your voicemails, so I apologize as I should have better managed that, but I assure you that she is considerably better than I. For all of the associates that had the pleasure of getting to know you including Cassaris and Kim, they say "hello"! Happy Birthday again Mr. McClemore and we look forward to having you back!
Leominster, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Two adults and two children were in our party, when we checked in on the 19th of January, for a few hours at Coco Key (seperate review).
The entire staff at this hotel, that we met, were very courteous and attentive.
The first floor room was very clean with a king bed that was soft. The children's beds were very hard, but they managed. Next day's buffet breakfast was ample, but cold. Yes, this property could use some minor fine tuning, but a clean room, and a soft bed, is all this family needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Andrew H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Thomas S,

I am delighted to see that while you had some hiccups during your stay, that our staff was able to correct your issues and that they did it in such a professional manner. We look forward to having you back soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter and I just stayed here this past week while she attended a dance convention at the hotel. I had heard that the hotel was not great while it was under previous management. However, upon arrival I was very happy with the appearance of the hotel and the staff. Even though the hotel was completely full because of the dance convention the staff did a great job and were very friendly and helpful. Our room was very comfortable and clean. The heatlh club attached to the hotel was unexpected and quite handy. Our daughters enjoyed the large indoor pool and a group of us worked out in the morning. Kudos to housekeeping as they kept with the restroom use of all the dancers. My only small complaint was with the elevators which were very slow and usually full. We resorted to climbing the stairs each time because of the wait. I think that not all were working which will probably be fixed shortly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Andrew H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear KimM250,

We are so delighted that you had an enjoyable experience at our hotel. We had a blast seeing all of the talented dancers with your group and being able to provide the great customer service we strive for. We look forward to having you back next year for the event and hopefully before then.
CT,USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Overall, the visit was a good one. My wife, 3 yo daughter and 1 yo son stayed overnight and went to the Coco Key water resort (separate review) that is attached to the hotel. For a Hilton property, it definitely needed some upgrading. We rated in one of the Family Suites on the first floor. The room was ok. Old and worn, for sure, but very comfortable and the separate kid's area was perfect. The thermostat was very difficult to control - it was either hot or cold. Nothing in between. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. We were able to check in early and use the hotel pool before coco key opened. It was very clean and nice. The breakfast buffet was pretty average as well. All the normal options, but it was clear that the hot items had been out for a while. I was satisfied, but not blown away.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Getaway4now,

I am delighted to see that we were able to meet your initial needs of being able to check-in early and that you were able to enjoy the water park! I have addressed your comments with our team, as we are always striving for perfection, and know when you return, that your comments will be even more phenomenal.

Thank you for the review!
Coventry, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

If you have stayed here the past couple of years [as have I] and was left less than impressed [as was I] You Must Return!!! It has changed and I was extremely satisfied. For a business traveler this is a must stay. The staff was great, room was cozy, the food and drink was very good and priced right. Nothing better than landing, eating, and relaxing without having to "drive" more and more and more. The "managers" evening with treats and a staff open to feedback was refreshing. I will return and will share this information with my client so they can refer the good word to other road warriors. TY Peter

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pierre R,

It was a pleasure getting to know you during our Manager's Reception. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review as I know you are a well-seasoned traveler. I have shared your kind remarks to our staff and they are ecstatic to see that there hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back and if you need anything, please call me!

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore? Share your experiences!