“Gumbo special - no meat” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Cohasset
Cuisines: Irish
Taunton, Massachusetts
“Gumbo special - no meat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My friends and I went to dinner here before going to the Music Circus. I like to order specials because they are usually very good. The gumbo special described the dish as having andouille sausage, blackened chicken and baby shrimp. The dish was served on a square plate with a mound of white rice in the middle on a sea of broth. I had one baby shrimp and that was it. No sausage or chicken at all. The broth was tasty but there was only chopped pieces of vegetables and tomatoes. I pointed this out to the bartender (waiter) and her response was "have you had gumbo before?". Yes I have had gumbo but this is minus the meat. She later apologized for the meal being unsatisfactory. She compensated with a free glass of wine. It is a nice pub atmosphere. The other meals were good, mixed grille and the shepherds pie stuffed potato skins.
I would try it again and maybe try a burger.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Scituate, Massachusetts
“Delicious lunch, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We tried Mr. Dooley's for lunch yesterday, a rainy dreary day reminiscent of the weather in Ireland. The atmosphere was definitely pub-like, it was cozy and comfortable even if the decor is based on a corporate formula. My husband had the shepherd's pie and I had the fish and chips. Both were absolutely delicious. The servings were more than ample. The waiter (Jason, I think) was very professional and service was quick. Beer selection on tap was good - it included one of my favorites, Allagash White. The lunch prices were quite reasonable.

The pub is small and I can imagine it would be really crowded for weekend dinner, or when there is music. It wasn't full on a Wednesday at lunchtime, but as one other person mentioned the acoustics are awful. It was difficult to have a conversation across our small table. It must be almost impossible to hear anything if there is a full house. I'm rating the restaurant and atmosphere "very good" based on the poor acoustics, otherwise I'd rate it excellent.

We'll definitely return.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Nice pub atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We've been to lunch there several times. The food is excellent and fairly priced. Service was also very good. TV's mounted on the walls all over. What you'd expect from an Irish pub in the USA.

Visited April 2012
Scituate, MA
“Too noisy for me!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have tried Mr Dooley's 3 times since it opened. The food is decent pub food annd the prices are fairly reasonable. (I had burgers twice and fish and chips once). The problem is horrible acoustics which make the place so noisy that the meal was unpleasant and I was happy when I finished my meal and could leave. The last time I was there I had difficulty hearing what the waitress was saying and the waitress had a hard time hearing my order. The place badly needs some sort of sound deafening effort to get me to go back.
Also, minor item but as it is supposedly Irish I expected that I could get brown sauce (i.e. HP, Chefs, Branston etc) for my burger and chips but they did not, which is not very Irish.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
boston
“Great Irish Pub in Cohasset Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Went twice this week, once on a Tuesday night and had a drink at the bar. Good selection of beer and wine, the bartender (from Ireland no less!) was friendly and attentive. We liked it so much, we decided to go back for dinner on Friday night- we were not disappointed. The potato skins appetizer was great as were the salmon and steak tips. Very friendly and attentive service, comfortable atmosphere and great food. We will be back! A great addition to Cohasset Village.

Visited February 2012