“Great for families” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“Great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

We spent six days at Chatham Bars with the entire family in the middle of July as a birthday gift to my husband's mother. It is a great place to go if you have children or if you're in a large group. We found the service to be very good - the bellboys are extremely helpful and will even drive you to restaurants or town and pick you up again if you dont' want to walk and the waitresses at the pool were great. The only exception were the waiters at breakfast - they were truly overwhelmed and it took forever to get anything. A little tip if you don't want to spend 2 hours at breakfast - get the buffet. At least you don't have to wait for your food. The lunch at the pool was by far the best food (try the upside down steak salad- awesome). We also did the clam bake (very good) and the tasting at the Chef's Table. The tasting was pretty good, not spectacular for what they charge but they do give you a LOT of wine. So if you're not a big wine drinker, it might not be worth it.
We stayed in the main inn because there was so many of us and let me tell you - the rooms are tiny. We had a lovely view of the air conditioners so if we ever go back I think I would pay the extra money for the view of the water. But the rooms are cute, nice bathrooms, flat screen tv's and a little fridge if you want to bring drinks, etc. We never had any issues with the cleaning staff, they did a great job every day and turndown was done while we were at dinner every night. The property is pretty spread out so if you're considering staying in a cottage, I would ask them to send you a map of the property to see where you are. Some of the cottages are quite a hike from the main building and pool.
We also did the boat ride to see the seals which was a lot of fun. The gentleman who took us out was great and the kids loved being so close to hundreds of seals. The beach itself is not so great so we spent every day at the pool. If you are not traveling with children, I would not recommend this place in the summer. It is all families with mostly younger children. But if you're looking for a well maintained, family-oriented, little more upscale than the typical east coast beach resort - you can't go wrong w. Chatham Bars.

• Liked — Property is very well maintained and pretty
  • Disliked — Small rooms, air conditioner was not great in the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

If you can afford up to $1000 per night to stay in one of the ocean view cottages, then this is the place for you. My family and I stayed in the main building for two nights in a "property view" room at $425 per night including taxes and daily resort fees. What we got for our money was a second floor view of the roof and the kitchen ventilation ducts. The room was small, the beds were uncomfortable and the air conditioning unit performed poorly. We could not open the window at night because of the smell of cooking oil pouring out of the kitchen ventilation ducts directly in front of our window. Since the Inn was completely booked, we had to stay put.

The Inn's location and water shuttle to North Beach are the best features of the Inn. We walked over the sand dunes to the far side of North beach and it was spectacular. There were only three other people on the beach and harbor seals were swimming offshore. Such a pristine and tranquil place partly made up for our overpriced and substandard accommodations.

The food at the Tavern was excellent, but the dinner portions were small. Save your money, take the shuttle downtown and go to the Squire restaurant. You won't be disappointed.

If you have children, they will enjoy watching the fishing boats unload their catch of the day at the pier just up the road from the Inn. The harbor seals show up to receive fish scraps and are fun to watch.

Next time we will stay at the Bradford Inn.

• Liked — Water shuttle to North Beach.
  • Disliked — Room.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2007

My wife and I stayed here on April 27th and 28th. The place is beautiful to look at. The cottage arrangement is interesting to deal with, but by spreading out the rooms the plan succeeds and works well. This is New England and Cape Cod as one reads about in magazines and books.

Now the bad:
1) The hotel tries too hard and does not succeed. This should NOT be a Leading Hotels of the World hotel.
2) Upon arrival, there was huge confusion as to where to park in order to check in. After driving for 5 hours, the last thing I wanted was to struggle to find parking. The attendant asked me to park in an area that I bloked the driveway for one of the cottages.
3) Our cottage did not have adequate parking. There seems to be more rooms than a corresponding number of parking spots (either that or the Bostonians brought two cars each).
3) The restaurant has mediocre food and so is the breakfast buffet. Do not waste your time. On the plus side, the portions are large.
4) The housekeeping staff are dumb. On Saturday morning they rang the door. When I opened the door and asked them to come back later, they would not leave. On Sunday, they came by at 9:00, even though check out time is 11:00.
5) Check out time is 11:00, checkin time is 3:00. This is a really pathetic schedule. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed that has such a retarded and inconvenient schedule.
6) The house cleaning staff somehow managed to get our toilet clogged. On Saturday morning the toilet worked, when we went for breakfast and returned to the room to get our things, the toilet did not work. The house cleaning staff had cleaned our room. I complained and the issue was taken care off plau $100 were deducted from our bill. That clearly tells me that management knew of the issue but waited for us to call in.

Overall, it was a nice place to look at, despite the construction that is going on, but the service experience was truly a mixed bag. I would stay again at the rate wwe paid, about $240/night, but not at their peak rate. If they could not manage the service now that it is relatively off season, I can only imagine how confusing things are going to be at peak season.

Actually, there appear to be other nice places near by and in the town of Chatham.

Regards,
Dimitri

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

Overall our stay was pleasant, but I guess I expected a bit more from what was slated to be a very nice hotel. We tried to get a really nice room in a really nice place, but it was just okay. Can't say that I'd recommend it for the price. And with marginal food it would have been better to be close to other food choices. Some details...

The food in the Tavern was good, not great. Certainly making it overpriced. The onion soup in the Tavern was actually terrible. There is some flavor in it that was unusual and made it not tasty. First time ever that we couldn't eat onion soup. We had a meal at a fraction of the price in Chatham that was far better.

I should have paid closer attention during reservation, but we were not offered anything above the Ocean View suite and my guess is that there were rooms that were nicer than that. It was okay, but not a great room. I expressed a bit of dissatisfaction with the room on check-in and nothing was done which is a bit unusual in my experience. They should definitely let people know during reservation process what all the rooms are, availability of nicer rooms, etc.

These are a bit beyond the hotels' control, but our neighbor was nice enough to turn the TV on really loud right next to our wall at 5:45AM (which is early west coast time). We tried to knock on their door. The front desk was not able to reach via phone. Finally after sending security to literally bang on their door for several minutes they turned the TV down. The placement of that TV is horrible. I was a bit surprised that we weren't contacted again by staff or a manager on this.

Oh and the fireplace smells of gas.

Maybe I shouldn't have given this even a 4, but it's more that if you are looking for a 4-star stay, this hotel is close but misses on a lot of little items that makes it something below where the guide books put it.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

We have just returned from a 4 night stay over Easter weekend. The hotel, our room, the service,and the spa could not have been better.

After reading some of the negative reviews, I think they must be talking about some other hotel. Most of the negative reviews seem to be from 2004/2005 so maybe things have improved. We have stayed at CBI several times over the last 15 years- our off season experience is always better than in-season. It is less crowded, quieter, and less expensive.

We were initially given a room in a cottage that was far from the main inn. The room was lovely but we didn't care for the location because it was cold and we didn't want to walk so far from the inn (although they do provide a van- just call for it). The front desk staff could not have been nicer regarding a request for another room. We were quickly shown other rooms which were upgrades (we were not looking for an upgrade). The room they gave us was just beautiful- a suite with a living room/fireplace with an incredible view, bedroom, and bath. So much more than we ever expected!

The spa staff was very nice, not snooty like so many other spas. Room service was so fast, the guy must have run to our room the minute I hung up the phone! Buffet breakfast was wonderful.

The only improvement I can think of is to improve the lighting. The inside of the main inn is very dark. Years ago the 'big room' was filled with white wicker and very bright. I liked that much better than the more formal, dark, upholstered look that was done during the last renovation. The inn has recently been sold and changes are in work. I am not sure what improvements will be made but I am hoping that they do not turn the cottages into condos! That would change the whole feel of the old, traditional, oceanfront inn.

• Liked — oceanfront, private cottage with fireplace
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!