“Beautiful place - but disconected service.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   297 Shore Road, Chatham, MA 02633   |
Special Price
CBI Winter Special
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
“Beautiful place - but disconected service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed three nights - the rooms are nice as are the people but we didn't get the room right even after three tries. The staff gets confused by what beds are in which rooms and the rate qouted was not what was on our bill, but we got that resolved. The location is great the rooms are great (we stayed in the main building one night and a cottage the next two) but like I said the service leaves you put off a bit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
CBI-4107, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
It was good to see that your ratings of our guest services
were mostly very good and you enjoyed your accommodations
and the beautiful location of our property.

Unfortunately the check-in procedure was not as smooth as it
should have been due to some confusion on the part of the staff
regarding room categories and bedding arrangements. We apologize
for any inconvenience this has caused you.

As we move into our summer season with the addition of hundreds of
newly hired seasonal staff, we provide as much training as
we possibly can, however, a few days of practical experience are
usually needed for newcomers to familiarize themselves with the
scope of our 25-acre resort consisting of many different buildings
with varying room configurations. I regret that a senior manager
was not available to provide more competent assistance during
your check-in.

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

I cannot say enough about our recent stay at CBI. My husband and I shared the trip of a lifetime at this gorgeous classic on the sea. We stayed in the ultra-modern and comfortable Spa Suites section of the property and will go back in a heartbeat. Our room was HUGE, with a roaring fireplace, Jacuzzi, steam shower, large flat screen TV and the most comfortable king sized bed we've ever slept in. The staff was absolutely lovely- particularly the concierge staff -they catered to our every whim and were so impressive and helpful with their recommendations. This long weekend getaway was exactly what we needed - we ate well, enjoyed the on-premises spa (just steps from our wonderful spa suite) and got our fill of the incredible views only CBI can offer. We rounded out our stay with cocktails on the sprawling veranda overlooking the ocean. It was tough to leave and we cannot wait to get back. We've stayed at many of the finest hotels in the worlds and CBI is at the very top of our list.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
CBI-4107, General Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive impressions about
your stay at Chatham Bars Inn on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed the comfort and amenities
of our Spa Suite and your special seaside getaway turned out to be
everything you had hoped for. It is always nice when our staff is
acknowledged for their attentive and personalized service. They are
wholeheartedly committed to our guests’ complete satisfaction and
uplifting feedback such as yours certainly makes all their endeavors
worthwhile.

We all hope to be of service to you again.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We have stayed previously at the Chatham Bars Inn and enjoyed it so much, decided to book a return trip. Previously, we stayed in the Main Inn, which is centrally located on the 25 acre property. On this trip we stayed in a spa suite which is on the edge of the property near the golf course. We were "welcomed back" by the Front Desk at check-in, which started the weekend off perfectly...just the way we remembered from our first visit; the staff is very friendly, sincere and attentive to your every need. The spa suites were every bit as wonderful as the reservationist had described. Our room had a jacuzzi, sauna, steam shower and fireplace and it was like being in heaven!! Because we were located in the spa suites, we also had access to the spa pool & hot tub located adjacent to the spa-a private, tranquil area open only to those having spa treatments or staying in a spa suite. My husband had booked a massage while we were there and he said it was one of the best he'd ever had. We also had dinner in the Tavern, located in the Main Inn. It was very busy so we were happy that we took the advice from the concierge and made a reservation beforehand. The tavern is casual, but has an upscale feel to it. The food & service were excellent. We can't say enough about this wonderful resort and look forward to a return trip next year.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed for 4 nights, beautiful area and nice facility but what a shock on check out. I've stayed at a lot of 5 star facilities around the world but this realy erked me. There was an error in my bill and when I asked the front desk clerk about all the charges, there is a facility charge,a resort fee etc etc. but the biggest shocker is they had taken the full amount of my stay off my credit card a week before I even checked in.They said it's jsut thier way of doing things and they process the full amount once you make the reservation. She said it ensures they get thier money in case you don't show up. The place was ok but this really ticked me off to the point I wouldn't reccommend it to any one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
CBI-4107, General Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
It was nice of you to comment on the beauty of our property overall,
I was, however, sorry to learn that you were extremely displeased
with regard to our billing procedure. I apologize that there was also
an error on your bill that needed to be rectified upon check-out.

It is true that our deposit policy requires prepayment of the entire stay
prior to arrival as is standard procedure in many resort hotels. Our
reservation agents point this out at time of booking and written confirmations
outline both the hotel’s deposit and cancellation policy. If reservations are
made on line, the Terms and Conditions box needs to be checked off in
agreement before the reservation can be processed. I would like to apologize
that there was a misunderstanding regarding this matter.

We trust that except for the issue of our billing procedure your stay was
an enjoyable experience.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This resort is well worth staying at when traveling to Chatham. Quality service, comfy beds, good food, scenic location. Be sure to rent a bike and take a ride through town. Spa seemed to fill up almost daily so consider scheduling in advance. Lots of variety from room to room so be sure to inquire about details if specific room ameneties/location within the property is important to you. Yummy/casual seafood market is across the street/walking distance - check it out.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

First I will say that the property is gorgeous and the buffet breakfast was wonderful. I will also give them credit for allowing us to change our reservations from the previous week just a couple of days before we were supposed to arrive, which i greatly appreciate. When we checked in was when i was deeply disappointed. We were under the impression that our room faced the water, my husband could have sworn he confirmed that when changing the reservation the week before. A gentleman, the "service manager" told us that we were mistaken. We were upset about it and they claimed they had no more ocean view rooms available at our rate and that if we wanted an ocean view room we would have to pay an additional $100 per night. We told him we did not think that was fair given that we were told that we would have an ocean view. He asked if we knew who we spoke to in reservations when we called. I thought that he must be kidding because who writes down the name of the reservation agent when you talk to them? There were other people behind us waiting to check in and he was the only one at the front desk. But he went into the office behind the wall to call reservations to see if her could confirm that we were told that. He disappeared for quite a while and I felt terrible because i could tell that the people waiting behind us were getting frustrated waiting. You would think he would have sent someone else out to handle the others. He eventually came back and since he did not have the name of the agent we spoke to could not confirm that we were told we would have an ocean view room. He also told us that at our price rate, they have both ocean view and non ocean view rooms, which again is strange, you would think that would be unfair. We then relented and were given the keys to the non ocean view room. We pulled around back, went upstairs and our room was not only not looking toward the ocean, it was facing all the air-conditioning systems and was tiny. We went back downstairs and told him we were unhappy with the room. He proceeded to take without exaggeration more than 10 minutes of starring at a screen trying to find us a reasonable alternative. I am not sure why it is so difficult. My husband was standing near my getting frustrated and eventually implored me to pay the extra $100/night and get a larger ocean view room which eventually i did. What bothered me the most was the lack of warmth and accommodation that this manager showed us. We did end up liking our ocean view room, 2nd floor with a really nice large deck, worth the upgrade $. Unfortunately it had 2 double beds rather than a king bed, but we survived! The only other problem i had was that there were a few stains on the sheets and they weren't the nicest quality sheets. Otherwise, there was a nice sheet covered down cover and decent pillows, although i always travel with my own. The only other comment i have is that there was bird poop on the lounge chairs on the deck which went unnoticed or unchecked by housekeeping. We called and they came by to take care of it. We will probably go back, but better educated next time. I may also want to check out the Wequasset Inn nearby, also looks great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
It was nice to see that despite your dissatisfaction with some aspects of your stay, you are thinking of possibly returning to CBI.

I was however sorry to learn about your disappointment upon check-in and apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred when your room was booked. If an ocean view room and rate is booked and confirmed in writing, it should certainly be available and assigned upon arrival.

Constructive customer feedback is important to us as it helps us monitor our performance and reinforce training standards. I am concerned that the front desk manager did not handle the issue in a friendlier and more accommodating manner. His comment that the rate you paid would include both ocean view and non-ocean view rooms was not correct. Even though the hotel may periodically offer specials of so-called “run of the house” rooms and rates that do not guarantee location or bedding, when an ocean view or partial ocean view room has been specifically confirmed it needs to be provided.

I am afraid that the occupancy situation may have been tight during your visit which resulted in some difficulty to finally provide you with the type of accommodations that turned out to your overall satisfaction.

We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back for a stay that will be flawless from the moment you arrive until you depart.

Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

My husband and I just came back from a three night stay at the Chatham Bars Inn. I cannot say enough great things about the CBI. From the moment we walked into the lobby to check in to the moment we left-everything was top notch. We started off by getting a room ugrade to an ocean front suite in one of the cottages (White Cap). It was beyond our expectations. We had dinner at the Tavern twice and thought the food was great. Unfortunately we couldn't experience the main dining room because there was a major bridge tournament going on for the entire weekend being held in the dining room.

We spent the day on Saturday in the town of Chatham walking around to the little shops-we stopped for lunch at the town Squire restaurant-had some great mussels and lobster bisque soup. Saturday night we ate at the Impudent Oyster and had a wonderful experience there-fabulous restaurant-highly recommend it! On Sunday we spent the day in Ptown and had lunch at the Lobster Pot-also very good.

The only downside was leaving this beautiful hotel. I never wanted the long weekend getaway to end. I am already thinking about when we can get back to this place I like to think of as paradise!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
CBI-4107, General Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
It was nice of you to share the happy memories of your 3-nights'
stay at Chatham Bars Inn on Trip Advisors. Yours was the kind
of feedback that helps boost the motivation of our dedicated staff
to maintain and exceed the high standards of personalized
service to which they are committed. It is a great pleasure
for all of us to know that our guests' experience was everything
they hoped for.

Managing Director

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!