“A New England style beach front hotel steeped in history.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
CBI Winter Special
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Wethersfield, Connecticut, United States
“A New England style beach front hotel steeped in history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Situated on the elbow of Cape Cod in the 4 square mile town of Chatham is the town's premier hotel. Upon arrival, the car wheels riding on crushed sea shells tells you you've arrived. We asked for early check in and were told it wasn't a problem over the phone, once we arrived, we discovered it wasn't possible. That was the only hiccup of our trip, though we were upgraded to a suite. Rooms are classic with flat panel TVs, an espresso machine, and L'Occitane bath products. Dining onsite is good but overpriced; better to take a walk in town. Despite the weather, it was a relaxing trip filled with gastronomic surprises.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed celebrating our 10th anniversary at the Chatham Bars Inn. We stayed in a little cottage down near the dock. It was quaint and nicely appointed with a beautiful view. The staff was very attentive. We were especially appreciative of the help of the concierge who gave us great advice about what to do on our long weekend. We had excellent service for the brunch each morning and the food was delicious. While we found it kind of expensive, it was worth it for a special occasion.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Chatham Bars Inn is a spectacular little spot in a part of the country I have not experienced much before. I was there for a working event and did not take the time to enjoy the Spa or Pool but the drinks and dining and the overall ambiance were wonderful. After a rough arrival experience in which the Concierge could not help me with any transportation options from the airport upon learning (which I can write off to new people getting up to speed for the season) that rental car offices were closed and not an option for me, all other service experiences were great. Housekeeping was very late both afternoons but the housekeepers were very friendly and worked around me while I was working in my room. I was there for a corporate meeting event and the banqueting/dining selections were beautiful and the food choices and preparation were five star. My only suggestion on that side are that during training, I would urge your service staff to please stop pestering me (three different people in about four minutes) to ask if they can remove my plate when I'm still chewing and have the fork in my hand. Ah, but that's just one of my pet service peeves and it happens everywhere. I just didn't expect it at a higher level setting like this. Okay, those are my little gripes but I still loved my stay and there were way more positive service touch points than negative. Additionally, I'm sure that the hotel goes through training challenges prior to the ramp up of the peak summer season every year but these seemed to be pretty basic service points. All in all a great stay and a beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: You must request a bay or sea view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

WOw, how could you complain about anything at this resort! All of the views walking around are fantastic. The spa was fabulous. I attended a conference here last week and will definitely return with my family. The Inn is charming and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and the food is great. The boat activities, tennis center and golf are all right on property. It's a total relaxation experience. The town has fabulous restaurants and shops all within walking distance from the resort.

Room Tip: The cottages are great (more expensive) closer to water views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I cellerbrated our wedding anniversary for three nights at Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham, MA. We can't say enough about how wonderful the place is ! But, the best part was the staff. From the maid on up to the Director, you couldn't ask for better service. The food; breakfast, lunch and dinner was out of this would. The Inn was spotless and very, very picturest. But, the best part was the staff; very friendly and go out of their way to assess you. What a great place and being located on the Cape is fantastic !!! Thank you Chatham Bars Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for room #2.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellesley, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Visited the spa for the first time with 4 friends this weekend. Had the actual services not been great, this would be a one star rating. 3 of us had great massages and one had a great facial. The problem? The locker room. It might have well have been a locker room at a public pool. Crowded due to overbooking. Nail drying station next to lockers on top of sinks. No benches, a couple of stools. Several women tried to use my flat iron as it cooled on a counter across from were I was at my locker. Not enough supplies because of over booking. When we arrived, there were no lockers available; we were almost late to our appointments because of it. Had to wait to shower until one of the 4 showers were cleaned because they were so crowded. 3 water closets constantly in use. You get the picture.

The chaos of the locker room almost ruined the relaxation of the massage. Do they care? Not really since they are the only game in town. But if you are looking for an overall good spa experience, this isn't it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Jennifer H,

Thank you for your review of the Spa at Chatham Bars Inn on Trip Advisor. It is always our goal to provide our Spa guests with the experience they desire and deserve. To my sincere regret, in this case we simply failed to live up to our usual high standards of performance. I have to agree with you that the experience you described regarding space in the locker rooms was certainly not what one would expect from a luxury resort such as ours and I sincerely apologize for the disappointment caused.

While this is rare situation, it does not make up for the very bad impression we made on you. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these issues with our Spa staff as to prevent from occurring again. Rest assured that we greatly value your candid feedback and care about your concerns.

We hope that in the future we may have an opportunity to fully restore your confidence in our fine Spa services.

Truly,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had a great stay here over memorial weekend 2014. It was a beautiful hotel and fun little town. My only negative comment would be our cottage room with an "ocean view" was not as advertised (Beach Plum cottage). You could barely see the water, there were trees and power lines blocking the view. When I booked this room this was the main thing we were looking for and I was assured this would meet our expectations. Far from it! The main house with a balcony would have provided much better views. I rarely complain but given the cost of the room (more than main house) I called the desk to let them know I was not satisfied. They reduced our rate to the main house rate for one night. It was still an enjoyable stay, I just wish we had to view we paid for. It was a bit chilly and off and on rain so it ended up not bothering me too much, but if we had nice sunny days I would have been very disappointed we didn't have the view.

Room Tip: Beach Plum cottage doesn't exactly qualify as an ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!