“Surprised to be so disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   297 Shore Road, Chatham, MA 02633   |
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Chatham
“Surprised to be so disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for about a week in June. We were very excited - given the number of positive reviews, but the hotel fell far short of being amazing. They messed up our reservations. We should have had an ocean side cottage, but they ended up giving us a room in the back that barely had room for my husband and I - and no bed for our daughter. After much arguing they finally moved us to another room with two beds. This still was not the ocean side cottage we had originally booked.

The grounds of the hotel are very nice. The service though was spotty at best. The pool staff was amazing, but the front desk staff were less then helpful.

The restaurants and food in general were fine. I do wish they would embellish or at least add some variety to the childrens menue. The childrens menues are the same no matter wich restaurant you go to - and they all consist of unhealthy hot dog type options. When I requested a veggie substitute one day, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads and said she'd have to check on that.

Bottom line - nice grounds, great pool, passable food, service that could use improvement. Just keep your expectations low if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your feedback. While certain aspects of your visit based on your review were positive, I would like to apologize for a few of our shortcomings, including if we made a mistake on your booking preferences in our cottage rooms. Our in house reservations team has a stellar track record overall, however if an error occurs, it is up to us to work on a reasonable resolution which sounds like we are unable to do. I am also sorry to learn that a member of our reception desk staff was found to be unhelpful; this is highly uncharacteristic of our service team on the front lines. I had shared your comments with our reservations and front office managers, in addition to our executive chef so that we can all take a moment to share your constructive feedback with our various team members.

We strive for nothing short of the best for our guests, however in this instance, we fell short of both yours and my expectations. Please don’t hesitate contacting my office directly if you plan to visit again in the future so that I can personally assist in making your room reservations, my direct line is 508.945.6710. I would be grateful for another opportunity for our staff to showcase to you our very best hospitality, from arrival through departure.

Thank you again for your review of our performance at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa.

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
508.945.6710

995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in April for an overnight without our kids. Very relaxing time of year to visit. Mostly other couples getting away. We loved the lounge for cocktails before dinner. Sitting on porch in the am watching the sunrise was another highlight. Our room in the main inn was perfect. Our stay could not have been better.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have been staying at CBI for 8 years now and have always enjoyed our time. It's beautiful and has so much to offer. We love the people, many of whom we have seen year after year. Sailing with Captain Steve has been a staple every year- he's great with the kids! Our son loves it and looks forward to the Chatham 4th of July parade every year - he loves to be in it with the CBI trolley, Larry the Lobster and all the gang. This is truly a place where many memories are made with family and friends.

Room Tip: although they are more expensive, the ocean views are definitely worth it!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our family has been staying at the Chatham Bars Inn for five consecutive summers and every visit seems to be better than the previous one. The management does a great job keeping this historical property up to the latest standards, the staff is wonderful and it is always nice to see familiar faces year after year. Our son would not miss the daily short trip on the "Bartender" accross the harbor bay to the National Seashore to his favorite secluded beach and "private" tidal pool. The addition of “Stars” expanded the resort’s dinning choices and this steak/seafood restaurant is well worth a visit. We love the resort and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just had our first trip to Chatham Bars with our one year old daughter. The pool was great for families except for needing to pay extra $175 per day to get a cabana with shade as there were limited seating options with shade around the pool. There was no hourly option for cabanas just full day which is pricey and a lot more than we needed. We love the room and the food at CBI is always great -- we had lobster rolls two days in a row :-) The pool is the highlight of staying there so I recommend getting their early and making sure you get enough seats with shade for you and the kids.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at CBI with my extended family for a special occasion. After hearing for years about how wonderful it was, I couldn't wait to experience it all first hand.

The best parts:
The rooms were great. We stayed in the cottages, and loved being away from the main resort. Beds we very comfortable, appointed well, quiet and we had a great view.
The facilities were top notch. Pool was gorgeous. Tennis courts well maintained. Grounds were lovely.
Book a fire pit when you are there. We enjoyed our last night together around one, and it was fantastic.
The Stars dining room was outstanding. I'll review that separately in the restaurant section.

The slight misses, that with a few tweaks would have made all the difference:
Weeks prior to our arrival, I arranged with the concierge a few surprises for our guests of honor. We spoke a few days before check in to confirm, and there were some important details that were missed. Thankfully, we caught them and were able to make the necessary corrections.
However, somehow the notes in our record did not translate, as some of the surprises wee leaked to the guests of honor, which really disappointed me. And when I called the concierge to discuss, I didn't get a response until the next day.
The laundry truck was always parked right outside our door, blocking my car. Oftentimes left running.
The fire pit was great, but we were surprised to be asked if we had our own lighter fluid and lighters to start it. They brought the wood, but no kindling, and had to go back for the accelerant. When they're charging $125 for the use of the pit, I'd think those things would be part of the fee. Also, the kid they sent down with the firewood didn't know how to start a fire.
Overall, attention to detail is not a strength. I do understand the challenge in hiring and adequately training seasonal help, but you expect more from a place like CBI.

If you're not planning a special event, you will have a perfect experience. If you are, check and recheck and double check your specifications with multiple people. And keep your expectations low for a flawless execution.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we greatly appreciate your feedback and 4 star rating. We also appreciate your highlighting some of the “best parts” of your visit inclusive of our cottage accommodations, resort facilities and dining outlets.

I am sorry that we missed our mark with some important pre arrival details of your visit, specifically with our concierge desk. I am however relieved to learn that we are able properly resolve, despite a delay in response on our part. In addition regarding your bonfire booking and how it was handled on our end, left much room for improvement. I agree that in this instance our attention to the finer details were lacking in some simple areas of communication and follow up. I have discussed your comments with some members of our staff already so that we can immediately focus on the opportunities you kindly pointed out, so that continued training and coaching can be provided for our seasonal workforce.

Again, we appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback; your comments allow us to focus on our constant quest for improvement and quality service. We hope to see you again in the future and if I can be of any assistance to you during the booking process in effort to ensure that no detail has been overlooked, please call my office at 508.945.6710 anytime, I am happy to assist with your arrangements.

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
508.945.6710
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
Danvers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went to a wedding at the Chatham Bars Inn. The expansive horse shoe period shaped inn is so picturesque, as it overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. Though probably pricey, the food (roasted leg of lamb, filet Mignon, baked crusted haddock, and all the fixings were a food lover's dream. The food, and the surroundings were aptly complimented by the ever attentive waitstaff. I can only imagine what it would be like to vacation at this historic, Cape Cod, Inn

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!