“Don't expect to spend much time here” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Fall Savings
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
London, United Kingdom
“Don't expect to spend much time here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

One word of warning, they say that check-in STARTS at 4pm and this is literally true. We turned up around mid-day to be told the room was not ready (not too unexpected and fair enough) but Housekeeping would be advised we had arrived so would prioritise accordingly and having left cell number they would call us as soon as it was ready. Having mooched around, unable to change for the beach or use facilities, at 4.30pm we assumed the lack of a call was an oversight but no, when we asked yet again at reception the room was still not done. It's a nice hotel but don't expect that paying many hundreds of dollars will allow use of your room for more than a very few hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor. I am truly sorry to learn that your check in was delayed well beyond the 4 o’clock hour, I fully understand your frustration. At times, although we make our very best effort to ensure that all rooms are properly prepared for the guaranteed check in time, occasionally a scenario such as this occurs. An example of why a room could be delayed would be an unforeseen maintenance issue, a late departure from a previous guest or sometimes simply the volume of rooms due to check in during busier periods for the resort. Our housekeepers work diligently in properly preparing all guestrooms for arrival; however there are times when one of the above examples may occur, which in the end delays a new guest’s arrival.

I plan to discuss your comments with our reception desk staff, so that in the future, if a room is not ready by 4pm and we have the telephone number of a guest waiting, we can at least call with an update, offer any possible alternatives, a complimentary refreshment etc., all of which are a more than reasonable expectation. This is where we fell short, and could have done a much better job in keeping you updated on your room’s status.

I assure you that this is not the norm for Chatham Bars Inn, and I do hope that you will consider giving us another try in the future. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate contacting me directly. My email is mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com, or my direct line is 508.945.6710.

Thank you again for your comments, your feedback is valuable to us.

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Davis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around 10:00 pm and i was starving. I asked if there was still room service or any of the restaurants open and everything had closed at 9:00. I told the two great women at the front desk that I was starving as I was on a plane all day long and just needed a bowl of chowder. I was told to check into my room and they would find out if I could get some food at the Tavern at the bar. By the time i was taken to my beach cottage in a new Range Rover, the front desk had already called and said the bar would have some chowder for me. The gentlemen whonrove me said I could have the food at the bar or he would even go and get it for me. I choose to get a ride back to the hotel and as soon as I got there I had chowder, and some great bread with Olive oil. I was even aked if I wanted a pizza. What great service!

We stayed in a beach cottage suite that is very comfortable facing the water and fishing boats. There is a huge bedroom with a king bed and fireplace. The living room is nicely furnished with lots of windows and aso a fireplace. Nice size refridgerator and even an expresso maker. The bathroom is huge with double sinks, large tub, shower and a bidet.

The Chatham Bar Inn is is really quiet and peaceful. My only complaint is the balcony: when sitting on the balcony you cannot see the water as the wood balcony is solid so you cannot see through it. We will definitely be back. Everyone we interacted with was extremely friendly and wanted to help.

Room Tip: Beach Cottage facing the water as the Sun come up in the morning and is is great to see the sunrise.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I attended a work event (3 days 2 nights) at the Chathma Bars Inn. While this place is not cheap, it's a great deal especially for off season. I stayed in a double Queen room at Seaview. From my room I could see a sliver of the sea in between tree branches. The room was gigantic. Plenty of room for a family. The bathroom was quite nice as well. My company had the whole event on site and one of the nights we had a clam bake which was amazing. Staff was really attentive without being intrusive.
I didn't check out the free wifi on site, but the cell phone signal was questionable for T mobile. It could have been carrier specific since AT&T did have a week signal.

This property is right on the beach. Even though it wasn't warm enough to swim in the ocean yet, the bonfire on the beach and a morning run along the beach was most enjoyable.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. I think I'll bring my family back (hopefully soon!).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I were in the area to look at a sailboat that was for sale. I asked a friend who grew up in the area for a recommendation on where to stay. He said to stay at the Chatham Bars Inn - his parents honeymooned there and always went back when they could. Most excellent choice. We stayed in room #22 (third floor of old main hotel) - view of the sea with a patio. Room was spacious and extremely clean with a great bed and large bathroom. When ordering on line, they show extra items you can order - I added the wine package. It was in the room when we arrived - a big hit with my wife!

Room Tip: Old main hotel second floor ocean side has very large outdoor patio spaces (large enough to sunbath...
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Absolutely terrific place to stay. Highly recommend this hotel and can not wait to stay there again. If I had to say anything bad at all it would be how expensive our room service was for what we got. We paid $72 for room service which included eggs, bacon, toast for two, coffee, orange juice. I found it a bit pricey for what we got. Other than that it was a great weekend away!!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I have always enjoyed staying at this wonderful resort. This past weekend I hosted a Surprise Birthday Party for my husband at the Boat House. I knew from past experience with this resort that this would be the perfect place to celebrate with friends and family. Most of our guests stayed overnight and all raved over the accommodations as well as the delicious Clambake we enjoyed. Literally, all we had to do was show up and the staff took over from there. As always, the staff anticipates your every need before you even have to ask for it. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for" ; this place might be pricey, but it is worth every penny when you have a special occasion to celebrate.

Room Tip: My husband & I were in a spa suite which is available to adults only which helps to keep a very...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rhode island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

went for a couple of days with sister everything was closed, only one restrurant open ,room door had a wide space in it wind was blowing in (cabin) have been there in the warmer weather and its a lot better, but for what you get in april the place should be a lot cheaper ,the breakfast was 54 dollars had coffee 1 egg and ham ,that was for two no one was in there ,now i know why haha

Room Tip: dont go till late june ,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the early spring weather and if the weather-stripping on your guestroom door was not air tight. Considering we are an oceanfront resort with over 30 cottage buildings spread out over 25 acres, during poor weather and windy conditions, it is nearly impossible to compete with Mother Nature when the wind blows from the northeast. I do understand that this must have been uncomfortable for you and apologize for the nuisance this must have been.

We would enjoy the opportunity to see you again, perhaps during one of the warmer months as mentioned in your review. Many guests however thoroughly enjoy the solitude of the Cape during the quieter times of the year, because of its slower pace and relaxing setting.

Again, thank you for your review, your feedback is valuable to us.

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!