“Overnight on Cape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Overnight on Cape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely room in the seabreeze cottage. Very comfortable and cosy bed. Dinner was delicious and our waiter was very knowledgeable about wine. Didn't try the spa...it was seemed a bit pricey. The Inn Was an easy walk to the main part of town with litte shops.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The service at this hotel is hard to beat. They cannot do enough for you including rides to and from a restaurant if you want to have cocktails. Every employee I came across was very pleasant and eager to please.

• Stayed April 2013
Hemel Hempstead, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just what you, would imagine a beach-front property would be like in Cape cod.

The location is brilliant - right on the beach (and the beach is both large and the sand is great). The hotel has wonderful charm; is in a fantastic location - next to the golf course, 5 minutes walk to the main street.

The staff are incredibly friendly, attentive and kind. I stayed there with my wife and young family. My kids are true kids - they like running around, and even though the hotel is expensive and exclusive there was not the snooty-ness I have experienced in other locations.

Although we were there outside of season, the place was quiet and many local restaurants were closed. It didn't stop us from having a lovely time though.

We stayed in one of the cottages near the children's playground and next to the golf course - it was on the ground floor, but I think there was a generator of some sort below us which churned at odd hours of the day and made a little too much noise for my liking. Other than that, the room was beautifully appointed, 2 large, comfortable beds, a Nespresso machine; a very large bathroom (with a big, deep bath) and a huge TV with lots of channels and pay-tv movies. There was also a small fridge and L'Occitane toiletries.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants and a bar that were open. The pool is still closed and we didn't use the spa. I would imagine that in mid-summer this place is fantastic.

Prices on site for drinks / food are what you would expect for such a place.

We stayed for a couple of days and had a great time. I would go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Now, I have to admit that I was there with my fiancé during the off season, and much of Chatham is, for lack of a better term, closed. I won't take that into my review though.
I'll also stick with my usual rating style.
Pros:
Great location- right on the water, good access to the town centre.
Great staff- staff were very accommodating, but not the best I've dealt with.
Fantastic rooms- our room was in the beach house, which while it was detached from the main building, still was well kept, and I felt just fine asking room service to deliver out to us.

Cons:
Service falls down a bit- we checked in after a long drive, and arrived at around 2. We were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4 (which seems a bit late to me), and that they would call us when it was ready. We didn't get a call until 4, which was unexpected, as the hotel was pretty much dead...
Also, when we asked about The Impudent Oyster in town, they assured us that it was open, whereas it wasn't. I also expected them to call ahead for us to set up a reservation.
Price- for what you get, I do find the price a bit steep. Yes, Chatham is expensive in general, but I think it was just a bit much.

That said, I would still recommend it to friends (friends with money though).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach House, which in the off season was perfect because it was quiet, and felt a b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our recent stay at CBI was amazing! My husband and I brought my two year old daughter there for the night this past weekend. We immediately regretted the fact we only booked for one night. Everyone we encountered was polite, helpful, and professional. Our cottage was the perfect set up for a family. Our daughter LOVED the huge bath tub, which was the perfect thing after our visit to the beach (right across the street). I would highly recommend CBI to anyone one of my friends or relatives. Perfect for all ages!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Chatham Bars Inn exemplifies an Outstanding resort hotel. The staff are friendly and happy in a sincere way. The spa was amazing, the hot stone and deep tissue massage was pure bliss. We stayed in a spa suite and I did not want to leave- it's beautifully appointed, comfy bed and pillow, steam shower, sauna, jacuzzi tub, fireplace--heavenly. If you want to get away and truly relax, this is the place to go. The restaurant, Stars was also wonderful for dinner and a great buffet breakfast. We were celebrating my husbands birthday and before we left we reserved a weekend to celebrate my birthday! We did not want to leave.
Joanne Fortunato

Room Tip: The spa rooms are heavenly, large, spacious, beautiful. Gas fireplace, 2 person sauna, jacuzzi tub...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We checked in after a long drive and we were and looked quite exhausted; the front desk supervisor noticed that as well. While she was checking us in, she made of point of letting us know that we got a “Groupon” deal, I didn’t think it was necessary. In fact, I think it is rather un-classy, there were other guests nearby as well. I have stayed at many luxury resorts before on some kind of special or other and they never had the need to announce it out loud. Check-in did take longer than usual, she seemed to have some computer trouble but the gentleman working next to her was able to show her how to navigate through the system. Once we completed the check-in, I informed her that we had a few bags (we just went shopping), and wanted to know how to get back in the hotel and our room. Her explanation was very confusing, she told us that we could park ourselves but if we wanted to have a valet do it then we turn into another street. I think she figured we didn’t want to use to valet parking. We were so tired, we just wanted to get into the building as soon as possible; we did need the help. So, we drove into the valet area, and the bellman came in, I gave him $5 and we took out our 2 suitcases and maybe about 10 paper shopping bags. So, at this point, I was carrying my tote bag, my husband’s knapsack and about 10 shopping bag, and he asked me if we needed help carrying the bags to the room. I was surprised because I thought I was giving him $5 tip for that. I was irritated by now I said no. Then my husband and I walked in and looked for the elevator. We got in the elevator very awkwardly with all our bags and was trying to find the floor to room 110 as marked by the lady who checked us in. There were only 3 floors and we were confused and holding up the elevator, then we had to get out because we didn’t know where we had to go. I flagged another employee and asked for help, he told me it was room 11 and it was on the 2nd floor. That isn’t common sense – someone should have told me that. And, not once did the second bell man offer to help carry the bags to our room - a stranger would have tried to help a lady trying to carry about 12 bags. I was so disappointed. With a bad start, it is hard to recover. But to the resort's credit, the other wait staff at the restaurant were pleasant, the room was nice enough and their housekeeping staff were very friendly. The food was good but pricey - we ate only at their restaurant during our 2 night stay. Another benefit is that you get free wifi with the $10 daily resort fee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to learn that after your drive to Chatham, our performance at check in was both confusing and irritating to you. Overall our front of house staff is consistently given high marks for their quality of service, professionalism and accuracy, however in the instance we clearly fell short.

Although we are in a period of training many new members of our team for the coming season, it is our duty to ensure guests are treated with proper attention and given accurate information from our more seasoned staff, while they also work with new team members in training. I will certainly relay your concerns with our Front Office Manager so that we can prevent from occurring again.

I was happy to also read that you found our restaurant staff and housekeepers to be pleasant along with your room accommodations, which is more of the norm across the board. Please don’t hesitate contacting me directly should you have any further questions or concerns, my direct line is 508.945.6710.

Thank you again for your candid 3-star review, I feel that is a fair assessment given the circumstances of your initial greeting. Once again, I do apologize for our falling short of expectation during your initial check in, I know that we can and do much better than this on a normal basis.

We will look forward to welcoming you back under a more organized fashion with staff readily available to assist next time around.

Truly,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
508.945.6710

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!