“Fine old inn with off-season perks” 4 of 5 stars

The Chatham Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   512 Main Street, Chatham, MA 02633   |
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Chatham
Newburyport, MA
“Fine old inn with off-season perks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel dating from the mid-1860s for an early spring getaway to the Cape (late March 2013). The hotel fronts on the main street, next to Chatham’s small park with a bandstand. The hotel wears its history proudly and is gracious. Fascinating pictures of yesteryear Chatham hang in the hallways and rooms. We enjoyed a lovely king-bedded room at reduced rates. The room had been recently renovated in pale yellow and white. It was comfortable, pleasing, and clean. Off-season, our room was not at all noisy even though it overlooked the principal route through Chatham. Included as well was a tasty, expanded continental breakfast in their wood-resplendent tavern. Customer care was demonstrated in several ways - answering our questions and helpfully suggesting restaurants in town for dinner although the hotel itself had a restaurant. What stood out for me was the extra care the night desk person demonstrated. I believe his name was Mark. He had been most pleasant when I made our reservation a few weeks earlier and that night, when I asked him about a Chatham restaurant where I had worked for a summer decades earlier while a college student, he went to the trouble of researching it. He then slipped an envelope under my door with a map and helpful information explaining how that restaurant had been turned into condominiums in the 80s. My husband and I found the place easily the next morning as we were leaving Chatham. I would recommend this hotel for an off-season get-away.

Room Tip: Ask for the number of the specific room you are booking and check out its picture on the internet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent a delightful Saturday night at the Wayside Inn in March 2013. It was late winter/early spring, and there was still some snow on the ground, but the skies were clear and the ocean was gorgeous. The Wayside Inn has a very welcoming and homey ambiance, with a nice warm fire burning in the entrance foyer. The room was large and comfortable, and there plenty of books and movies available at no charge for guests. We were surprised at how low the rates were. Chatham is located near the elbow of Cape Cod, and it's fun to walk around town at any time of year. We had a nice New England clam chowder for lunch at the Wayside Inn, and then wandered across the street to the Chatham Squire for dinner. The free continental breakfast is more than enough for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the wayside inn for 2 nights in mid march. We were looking for a quiet relaxing place to unwind. The room was great the food at the squire acoss the street was amazing! We walked to the beach went antique shopping and never even used the car the entire weekend!! We highly recommend the wayside inn and will be back real soon!!!

• Stayed March 2013

Cape Cod
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

A little while ago, The Chatham Wayside Inn was offering a getaway type package. So my girlfriend and I said, hey why not, gives us a chance to get away, stay at a nice Inn, enjoy the Cape during the off season, nice town. But did those thoughts tumble quickly!

Two days before we were to check in, I came down with a very bad case of the flu, I was actually in bed for 4 days with an extremely high fever. Knowing we couldn't go I called the Inn and asked what their policy was. Well, I got a woman with an attitude! She very coursely said, before I even finished talking, "sorry sir, no refunds!". I calmly told her that I wasn't looking for a refund, but could the Inn, in the nature of good public relations, and to keep a customer happy, apply at least part of the money to a future stay as soon as I flet better?

"NO!" was her quick response, "we don't do that". Well excuse me! Carol and I will never step foot in that place again!

Room Tip: Plenty of other beautiful Inns in this beautiful town to stay in. We stayed at Chatham Bars Inn.Much...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

bristol new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We love it here! This is the second time we have stayed at the Chatham Wayside Inn. The place is in the heart of Chatham, plenty of shopping and sites to visit, all within walking distance. The rooms are excellent. All of the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The complementary breakfast was very nicely laid out in a lovey room by the fireplace. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: The corner room with the view of the main street is very cozy,and the room that looks over the park...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been going to the Wayside Inn for over 10 years and have never been disappointed. Wonderful staff....especially Mark, who has been more than a manager, he's turned into a friend.
The food is great too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked a deluxe suite at off season rate of $300,00 per night. Room was very very small not what we were expecting. Bases on room rare and accommodations at the property I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to The Chatham Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!