“Surprised to find Meneely Bells made in my home town” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 36 things to do in Chatham
Watervliet, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Surprised to find Meneely Bells made in my home town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I researched new places to visit for this trip to Cape Cod. I came to Atwood house to see the old twin tower to Chatam Light. Nice little display of the lantern room outside. What I was surprised to find was a display of Meneely Bells that were made in my home town long ago. My dad is the president of the historical society here in Watervliet (formerly West Troy NY) so I've heard a lot about these bells from him. The museum was closed but I was able to talk to someone from the museum anyway. They were very friendly and helpful and sent me photos of the bell tower that used to house the Meneely bells they have on display. I took a few photos of the bells with my Ipad and several with my camera. I called my dad and emailed him photos from my ipad while I was away. I've been trying to get my mom and dad to take a trip to Cape Cod for years. I think your Meneely bell display will finally get them to go! Thanks so much for the help and emails! I will have to come back next time to tour the museum when you are open for business!

Visited October 2012

Providence, Rhode Island
8 attraction reviews
“A most fascinating historic house museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the history of the house, the furnishings, art and artifacts, plus the knowledgeable and very interesting guides made it all come to life. Also there were attached gallery rooms filled with local items of interest relating to the fishing industry, ships and the arts. And the rescued and preserved fishing shack on the grounds was unique and fascinating. We were so glad to have discovered this house museum gem and the gift shop had many wonderful books and related treasures. It was a fun and history filled experience!

Visited August 2012
3 attraction reviews
“Quaint museum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This was a really quaint museum. My family and I especially enjoyed the tour of the "old house". So many interesting things to see.

Nashua, New Hampshire
9 attraction reviews
“guides were very personable and knowledgable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

great example of a 1600's cape cod home showing changes over time. There were also other exhibits included as this is the home of the Chatham historical society so it is more than an old house tour.

Visited July 2012
North of Boston, MA USA
23 attraction reviews
“A great take! Definitely worth your time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Set along a quiet street, you have to know where the Atwood House is. Not on Chatham's main drag, it is absolutely worth a visit! Even if it's not open when you get there, the small outside exhibits are worth looking at and the flower gardens are lovely. Visit the house and step back in time to "Old Cape Cod." Rotating exhibits in the nearby barn are always worth checking out.

Visited June 2012