“Bucolic Vacation Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pilgrim Village Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chatham
Pilgrim Village Cottages
You added Pilgrim Village Cottages to your Saves list
1370 Main Street, Chatham, MA 02633   |
Easton, PA
“Bucolic Vacation Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Set on land nestled next to White Pond, this small enclave of cottages was a perfect place for our family to unwind and reconnect. We found the rustic cabin to be clean and equipped with the necessary items to cook breakfast and heat up a quick dinner. I could have used the modern coffee maker but instead chose to use the stove-top percolator that brought back memories of my grandma's kitchen. If you're renting a cabin don't expect too much space or many amenities but those things are not really what you need on a Cape Cod vacation. Instead you're on a pond that offers swimming, rowboating and fishing and within walking distance of a quintessential New England downtown, offering concerts, great dining, baseball games and beaches. The clothesline and picnic tables located outside each cabin proved to be convenient although gas grills would've been more convenient than charcoal grills. We loved the Sunday night s'mores making on the beach beside the pond. It gave us a chance to meet our fellow vacationers and members of the family who own the compound. Being able to reconnect meant being disconnected from the Internet due to the spotty Wi-Fi available. I was glad I didn't have any pressing work issues to check on this vacation because the Wi-Fi could have been a source of frustration.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hartsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We recently enjoyed our 12th trip to Pilgrim Village with our two children. Our children learned to fish on White Pond. They have gone from playing in the sand and splashing near the shore, to rowing their own boats on "turtle hunts." The Swenson family honors their repeat guests by giving us an opportunity to book the same lodgings for the same week each year. This generous policy means that many of us have "Cape Cod friends" from near and far that we look forward to seeing every year. It is true that you will not find a mint on your pillow or a newspaper by your door. Instead you will find everything you need to relax and enjoy time with your family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Pilgrim Village is the BEST vacation spot in Cape Cod. Not only is it near town where there are multiple great stores, but there are cottages on a freshwater pond where you can go swimming and fishing. The fun is endless. You don't need to go to the beach because the pond is so much better. You can catch turtles or fish like 15 inch bass, or grill by the beach and make smores. There are grills outside near every cabin, so you can grill your food right outside your house. Overall, it's the best vacation place in cape cod. I've been here 12 years and there's no doubt that I will take my children when I'm older. You will not regret Pilgrim Village.

• Stayed July 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My son is the 5th generation to stay at Pilgrim Village. That should tell you a lot- an ideal and affordable setting for a family vacation located within easy walking or biking distance to a number of beautiful beaches, the town of Chatham, shopping and restaurants.
Chatham is one of the last bastions of civilization. The town is beautiful, the people friendly, and everybody seems ecstatic to be there. The 4th of July parade is a real slice of Americana- a gesture back to a simpler time. I've travelled to almost every state and a long list of countries, but Chatham and Pilgrim Village top the list of places that make my blood pressure drop and a smile to my face.
My 7 yr old son has a blast, and I feel comfortable that he is always safe riding his bike by himself through the community, meeting a bunch of kids his age, going to the playground or shuffleboard court. We never worry about him, and when we leave the community we don't even think about locking our cabin. The tranquil beach on White Pond has the cleanest water I've ever seen, is full of fish, rowboats are provided, and just sitting by it lowers your blood pressure by 30 points.
If you want a 5-star hotel with mints on your pillow every night, this is not the place. But if you like a mildly rustic, relaxed atmosphere, a place where you can bring an entire family for a week for less than a thousand bucks a week, want the option to cook in your cabin rather than bear the expense of eating 3 meals a day at restaurants, this is the place for you.
The Swenson family has run the place forever, are infinitely helpful, and really care about the beautiful grounds. Their daughter, son-in-law and son are taking over, and bringing new ideas to the mix like wifi, Sunday s'mores cookouts and 4th of July fireworks at the beach.
One other reviewer spoke of the "draconian rules". I don't know what he was up to, but I've never experienced anything like that.
If you are single, a couple, or a family, I highly recommend Pilgrim Village. Most of the visitors have made it a tradition. Many, like me, have been coming here for decades. We stay for 2 weeks each year. At this price, an extended stay is totally doable. Try staying at the Chatham Bars for that long. You'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage! ENJOY!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin with a large screen porch, and near the pond if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
avon , ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have been going to PV for over 40 years. It is a wonderful place for families, great swimming, rowboats to go fishing, big lawn to play on, beach to play on. Cottages are nice with screen porches and places to barbecue. A great place to be outdoors, watching the birds, from osprey to chickadees to kayaking and windsurfing. It is a wonderful place to relax, unwind and have fun with family and friends. Handy to ocean beaches, restaurants and shopping in Chatham and nearby towns.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Pilgrim Village is a collection of small cottages in a beautiful pine grove right on White Pond in Chatham, Cape Cod. Chatham is the least "touristy" town on the Cape and also one of the most high end in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. So it's great to find a place like Pilgrim Village that offers a very affordable and relaxed stay in this area. It is perfect for small families (1-2 kids) looking for a place with a kitchen to prepare meals on the days you don't eat out. The beach on White Pond is private to the cottages and is excellent for young families. You are also centrally located to several ocean beaches (Ridgevale, Harwich, Lighthouse). Shopping and restaurants on Main Street are literally a 2 minute drive away and range from 5 star to simple and quaint. The cottages themselves are fairly simple, if you are looking for more of a full size cottage try Pine Shore Cottages (same location, same owner, just larger cottages, still a terrific deal). The Pilgrim Village cottages have everything you need for your family without having to pay for lots of extras. My parents took me there since I was 10 years old and we just returned from a trip with them and my children. The owner, Peter Swenson is still there and now his daughter is getting involved as well, so it's great to see the same place year after year. The grounds are very well maintained and are VERY quiet, both during the day and at night. Considering it is mostly families there, the cottages are so well located that you never feel you're being watched and you never really hear anyone else above a murmer. For the money you won't find a better deal in Chatham. I'll be placing my reservation in January again!

Room Tip: Book early to get the best location. You can make a reservation starting in January of every year.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Paoli, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Vacation means our much anticipated annual return (38 years so far) to Pilgrim Village with its comfortable and family-friendly, pine-grove shaded housekeeping cottages by White Pond. And "getting away from it all" is a delight in Chatham with its charm, delicious seafood, beautiful beaches, art and craft shows, summer theater and, a family favorite, cheering on the Cape League collegiate baseball team, the Chatham Anglers. Great family fun!

Room Tip: Make your cottage request in early January for the best selection.
Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pilgrim Village Cottages? Share your experiences!