“Nice getaway spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 hotels in Chatham
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Nice getaway spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Nice clean motel. Rooms have been updated and the staff is friendly. Close to downtown Chatham. For the money it is a great value. Only one drawback, they don't allow bicycles in the room and if you own an expensive bike you don't want to leave it outside or in your car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wakefield, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just enjoyed a terrific time in Chatham due to this great motel. We had feared they had over-stated their offerings but found it to be fresh, friendly and near all we could have asked for. Friendly reception, good beds, pristine grout, shower and linens in a pleasantly decorated room gave us everything we needed at a reasonable price and fabulous location. It was quiet and had a good heating system that was a big benefit as well. Great sleep.
The ability to walk to a a great gourmet restaurant across the street, the DelMar was a delight. Add a short walk to the newly opened Orpheum Theater with its superb Cafe Vers for fabulous patisserie, restaurant, movie and tons of great shopping up and down the street. What a fun getaway! We came in early fall so beach walks were still part of the experience but on our next trip in cooler weather we will have plenty to entertain us--festivals, great food and theater abound nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We just stayed there 4 nights and not only was it impeccably clean but it was affordable. It is a quick walk to the center of Chatham. The rooms are large and you have plenty of room to park.
I debated writing this review because once everyone discovers how great this motel is it will be tough for us to get reservations next year.
As a final note, it is a lot nicer than any other place we stayed on the Cape.

• Stayed August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've stayed at some of the most beautiful 4-5 star hotels around the world. This is not one of them. However, I'm giving this small motel in Chatham high marks.

This is Cape Cod; known for it's vacation (house) rentals, "inns", "bed & breakfasts" and even small motels so you're not going to find any large luxury hotels. The (2 queen bed) room we stayed in was very nice and comfortable. It was not fancy. It was rather plain but it was clean, big/roomy and the beds were very comfortable. The shower was hot hot and had good water pressure. The motel offers a variety of room types/choices including efficencies and suites. They have two pools which again, are not fancy but are nice to cool off in and relax.

What I liked most about staying at the Chatham Highlander Motel was the location. It really is a great location. It is close enough to town to walk which we did often. We rented bikes and biked to town and the beach. Basically, once we got to the motel, we were able to walk or ride everywhere and did not have to use the car until we left. There is a gas station, convenient store and food market 100 yards from the motel.

For us, it was about being outside and enjoying the "Cape". The room was for showering and sleeping. Give me a hot shower (with good water pressure), a good bed to sleep in and a great location and I'm happy. The Chatham Highlander offered this and we were very happy staying there.

I would recommend it for families and anyone who is more interested in the location then the "frills".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Chatham Highlander with a friend. It was my first time visiting Cape Cod, so I wasn't familiar with anything. The Highlander was a great place to start. The prices for rooms are very reasonable. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful with suggestions for what to do and where to go. They were also great with directions, and their recommendations for dining out were perfect - local fresh seafood! My room was immaculate every day! The cleaning staff was amazing and so friendly! Beds are very comfortable. The rooms are spacious and decorated in a simple chic style. There is also a nice-sized swimming pool at the Highlander that is great for relaxing, too. The property itself is so charming. The location is great - within walking distance to downtown Chatham. It's close to all the shops and restaurants and even CVS in case you need anything. I would definitely recommend the Chatham Highlander and will stay there again if ever back on the Cape.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went for classic Cape Cod and found it. We were on a budget but did not want to skimp on cleanliness, safety and service. We found it and more. The rooms were personally decorated, clean and provided all we needed at a very fair price for pricey Cape Cod and Chatham. We were walking distance to everything in Chatham and it was so easy for our little ones to get very tired running on the grassy knolls. The weather was crisp and the bike tails were great. They help was nice and the front desk gave us ideas we had not thought of. If you want privacy and quaintness, come here - especially if you want pools, shade and breeze - and comfort for kids. It would be nice if they had a snack bar but then it wouldn't be a motel - but there is a restaurant and c-store across the street. We will be back this summer.

Room Tip: Ask for recently redone rooms - we checked our room first and then switched to a location near the l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Farmington, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

ROOM: It was our first stay at the Highlander Motel. We found our rooms to be very clean, but outdated with no decoration and not enough furniture in the room. We were a family of four and took a room with two beds. There were only two chairs in the room, so only two of us at a time could sit down - not good if you want to play games with the kids in the evening etc.. On the positive side we were happy to find a refrigerator & a coffee maker in the room.

CHECK-IN: when we were checking in, all we got is a very cold reception; the front desk person didn't even introduce herself. There were no welcoming words, not even a standard "hello-welcome-to-Highlander-Motel". Actually, an initial mail from a robot at Webmaster.com confirming our reservations, was more pleasant & warm, than all the subsequent contact we've had with Highlander Motel front desk/employees.

CHECK-OUT: before we left, I went to the office to see if I still needed to pay/sign for the remaining balance. The lady at the front desk initially said I was all set, but then checked her slips, and informed me I still needed to pay. I did... however, upon my arrival at home, I noticed on my credit card statement that I was double-charged. When I contacted Highlander, the reception lady replied "I know I questioned you when you said you owed but you insisted that you had just done the deposit". In reality I asked if I still needed to pay & sign for the balance; surely, I did not insist to be double-charged.

In the end the money was refunded back to my credit card, but it took several emails & days before it was done.

CONCLUSION: All in all it was not a pleasant stay. Considering the money we paid for the pretty outdated room, I would have expected a bit more hospitality. I do not recommend and I will not be staying at this place again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chatham Highlander? Share your experiences!