“Fun Funyak!” 4 of 5 stars

Fort Worth, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Fun Funyak!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

After zip lining in the morning with Hubby and 17 year old son my hubby suggests we go kayaking. The company we had zip lined with did not offer the inflatable kayaks that day so we called up Crab Apple. We had gone white water rafting the day before so I had been on the river. However, I am not adventurous at all. Hubby really wanted to go and he does a lot for our family so son and I said sure. You get in a bus and drive 12 miles to your put in spot. The bank to walk down has roots and some rocks but it's doable. After listening to the instructions it's my turn to get in. I'm a klutz but made it. Water wasn't too cold and I got into my funyak with little trouble. You put out as a group. There were 3 in our group and we put out right after the other so you stay together as the current is pushing you down stream. There are many rocks in the river (it is called white water). I hit most of them. There was a big boulder sticking out of the water - I hit it. When they tell you to lean into the rock so you don't fall out - it really works. Glad I listened. I wasn't very keen or happy about all this. There are areas that have no white water and hubby and son would lay down in the kayak and enjoy the sun. Not me, I was at full alert at all times. There is one area the rapid is a class 2 with a big area of rocks and grass growing out of the water. You got it, that's right where I went. Stuck again. I kept moving around like we were instructed and I would move 2 inches at a time. The water was fast and wouldn't let me push off the rocks easily. No one could help me because of the rapid. I finally got "unstuck" and yelled and swore at my hubby and told him I wasn't talking to him any more and I was getting out of the water once at the break area. I got stuck several times more times. At the break area I got out and marched up the hill to the snack area. I was ready to bale then here come the little kids with big smiles on their faces. I can't be the only wimp could I? Well, I'm not a wimp and off we go again for the last 1 1/2 hours. It was much better as I knew what to look for and even then still got stuck a bunch more. Everyone got stuck at one point or another. Son got stuck twice but the first one he was stuck for a little while. He got himself out and off he went. Of course, the last big boulder of the trip I ran right into it. I stayed in the kayak and laughed. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. 8 miles was a bit long especially after 3 hours of zip lining and repelling that morning. Be sure you take a spare set of clothes, socks and shoes. You will be glad you did. Nice facility and bathrooms where you sign in and return. One lady worked the registration area and suited us up with gear. The Funyaks are unguided. Just watch out for those rocks!

Visited August 2012
appleraft, Manager at Crab Apple Whitewater, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Glad you took a chance and tried something new - our solo Funyak, inflatable kayak trip. As you found out, it has a nice mix of action and calm water. Something for everyone - novices, experienced paddlers of all ages. See you next time - you'll be ready for the waves and missing all of the rocks!

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
“Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Funyaks. A great way to spend half a day. Well run family business, well organised, friendly and helpful staff. Had a brilliant time.

Visited August 2012
Thanks - what a great review. Right to the point - well-organized family business. Fun activity.
Couldn't have said it better ourselves! come again soon.
Lynn, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Whitewater Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I did the Monroe Bridge section of the river and experienced Class 2, 3 and 4 rapids in a 6 person paddle boat. All of the employees and guides we encountered at Crab Apple were extremely friendly and professional, which was a good thing because they needed to organize and move a large group of people - there were 13 rafts in our group the day we went.

The trip was true to its advertising in terms of excitement on the water. The down side was a rather long wait between rapids - 20 minutes or more - while you wait for all of the other 13 boats to catch up. Fortunately, our guide Lou was very personable and entertaining. The guides also stopped for river hijinks I guess you call it, like dunking a willing member of your party out of the boat backwards to experience the full force of the rapids in his/her face (I declined this extra!)

The facility at Charlemont was very clean and had everything you might need, and the lunch afterwards was quite nice (we sat outside at picnic benches). We weren't able to stay for the slide presentation so our guide Lou was nice enough to let us take a sneak peek at our photos and we were able to find one we liked (photography was quite good.)

All in all it was a really fun day and I would recommend it, and I hope to go back. I have done whitewater rafting in Colorado and in Maine, and this was the best East Coast experience, mainly because of the good water and guaranteed dam release. Crab Apple is a very good outiftter!

Visited August 2012
Glad you enjoyed your trip with Lou. Thanks for writing a review and letting folks know our trip in Massachusetts compared favorably to trips you have tried in Colorado and Maine. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hartford, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
“4th time on the Deerfield River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I absolutely love Crabapple. They have the best whitewater and funyaking trips. The Deerfield River in MA is fabulous for a nature filled trip. If you love water, nature, and fun, try it. You will have no regrets, just memories.

Visited August 2012
Four trips! Nice - our family loves seeing old friends on the river. Thanks for the great review and your return visits.
Boston MA
7 attraction reviews
“Great family adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have white water rafted with Crab Apple on the Deerfield River two years in a row. Most recently with my 10 and 11 year old boys. We also did the "funyaks". Would reco both. The funyaks are inflatable kayaks. They call it a self-guided tour but there were at least 60 rafters and a handful of guides with us. Age 10 and up can have their own kayak, but would be sure your child is ready to be on their own. The whitewater is relatively mild but could be intimidating for some kids. For added fun, they provide you with water guns to spray your fellow kayakers with.

For rafting, we did the 10 and up Hurricane run, and aside from the actual rapids, the guides make it more fun by having water bucket fights between boats and doing a few other adventurous things with the rafts.

If a meal is part of your plan, the food is very good. They also have folks on shore taking photos while you're rafting (and kayaking) and they do a great job capturing the key moments. I bought a waterproof camera, but shouldn't have bothered.

Visited August 2012
Thanks for writing about your funyak and rafting trips. Sounds like both were memorable and fun for the kids and "big kids". Nice to mention important things like safety, guides adding fun and quality food. We aim to make the entire experience top notch on all of our trips.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review of our family business.