“A Small but Elite Venue” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Halifax, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
“A Small but Elite Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Museum of American Bird Art at Mass Audubon is a VERY small gallery, offering serious nature lovers some very esoteric viewings. I wouldn't make the trip just for the gallery, but if you are in the area on afternoons when it is open, do stop by. You will likely be in rare company, just you and the birds. Clearly the staff work to obtain the very best art, but are constrained by space available. Displays change several times a year, so this gallery can be visited several times a year. If you bring young children, there is an activity table. If you bring older children or adults who are not so interested, there is a ready nook.

The many acres of wildlife sanctuary are pleasurable when the weather permits.

Visited February 2013

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Art in the Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The first afternoon I stopped by this Audubon Center, I had been looking for a place to walk my dog. Unfortunately I learned that dogs are not allowed on the trails which made sense since the center encourages birds and other wildlife to make this property their home. Dogs enjoy chasing small woodland creatures away.

But I came back having been fascinated to find a museum owned by the Mass Audubon Society in Canton, MA. I learned that the center housed the Mass Audubon's extensive artwork and exhibited portions of their collection throughout the year. I guess I expected a rinky dink little building with art haphazardly placed on the walls, but my experience was quite the opposite. The building is well maintained and, if you didn't know better, you would believe yourself to be in a small gallery in Boston or New York. Yes, it is that good.

My husband and I also spent time walking the trails located on the property. The trials, covered with pine needles, gave us a quiet, peaceful, calming experience after a week of noise and bother at work. We didn't take advantage of the bird blind, but plan to do so soon and remember to bring our cameras. We learned that the center offers classes and workshops throughout the year for children, families and adults.

I'd highly recommend stopping by the Museum of American Bird Art at Mass Audubon. It offers an enjoyable afternoon whether indoors or outdoors -- and sometimes both!

Visited October 2012