“Noisy !” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Burlington
Alexandria, VA
“Noisy !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have travelled to 50 states and 50+ countries, and I don't recall ever staying in a room with so much noise from above. Every footfall from the room(s) above transmit to my room. The noise kept me up and woke me up early. I can also hear voices from other rooms.

There is no noise coming from the highway nearby; all the noise comes from inside, above me.

Unless you are oblivious to noise from other guests, I would NOT recommend staying here. The building is flimsily constructed.

Room Tip: If you're on 4th floor, there's nobody above you (it's the top floor), but the hotel has...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear JohnAlexandria_VA,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We pride ourselves in making sure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay and it is very disappointing to hear that we did not live up to this expectation. I am sincerely sorry that your guest experience was less than satisfactory due to the level of noise from our other guests. We have shared your comments with our managers so that we can improve our handling of this type of situation in the future.

Once again, we apologize for your stay and we hope that you will give us another try on your next trip to the area.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hawthorne, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The room we stayed in, a queen studio suite was very clean, no funky smells and up to date with appliances, decor, etc. I only gave this review 3 stars because the bed was very uncomfortable. I prefer a softer mattress and this one was very firm. In addition, the bed made loud noises so anytime either of us moved, I woke up. The shower was nice and roomy with plenty of space to put our toiletries, but the water pressure was low and even when turned up all the way, the temperature got only warm at best. I prefer a much hotter shower. I might consider staying at a Candlewood Suites again if I knew the beds would be comfy and the water temp and pressure were better. It was a good deal for the money and the hotel staff were friendly and accomodating. Lots of shopping and restaurants in the area but no Walmart or Target nearby which was a minus. The hotel was very quiet. There is no restaurant on site and I don't think there was a swimming pool. Some other pluses are, a "pantry" by the front desk that had several items that someone might need, from cereal and other breakfast items to snacks and candy and coffee. Coffee is free all day every day. There is also a laundry facility which is free to guests (detergent can be purchased). There is a gym that guests can use.

Room Tip: Good for those who like a firm mattress Good for those who like only a warm shower (not hot) and so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Karin V,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to note that you found our staff to be friendly and that you liked most of our amenities.

However, let me take this opportunity to apologize for any discomforts brought about by our beds and I am truly sorry if you didn't find the shower to your liking.

Once again, thank you for your comments and rest assured it will be taken into consideration for future improvements. We look forward to hosting you again.

Dhan M
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have stayed at this Candlewood Suites before, and it was OK. Basic, but a good deal. However this visit was a disappointment. The heat/AC unit in the room was very loud, so I turned it off. But even in the OFF position, it produced loud blasts of freezing air every 10 minutes throughout the night. It's a built-in unit, so there was no way to unplug or disable it. Also the room smelled musty and mildewy. When I reported the problem at the front desk, all I got was "OK, thanks for letting us know." Very disappointing to see this property go downhill.

Room Tip: Check the roof for smell and AC unit that functions quietly.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear mozart1956,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the poor heating and the musty smell. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Burlington hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I love Candlewood Suites! I always know what I am going to get for a reasonable price. A full kitchen! It's like a studio apartment. Locally, this one is my preference. The location is right in the area near the highway and shopping mall. There is a grocery store about 2 miles away as well. The laundry is FREE for guests. They do have an exercise room with some equipment that gets light use so is pretty good shape. I DO find that I have to check to make sure that my room is "fine". Recently, there was a room with a sour wet rug smell and thankfully it is the slow season so switching rooms was no problem. But, the staff are always willing to fix issues if you ask.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the elevators if you want more quiet. The handicap rooms are often acros...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have stayed here many times while on business in the Burlington area. The hotel has had room decor renovation since I last stayed. The style is the brown/tan/wood/stone spa style. Fits well with the room size. The TVs have also been upgraded to large flat panel displays.

The in-house store does not have much to offer, but there is a Trader Joes and HMart (Korean market chain) a couple miles down Middlesex Turnpike that provide good choices of supplies for the kitchen. There is also a operational grill and patio at one end of the facility. The guest laundry facility is great, if you are planning for a relatively long stay.

There are better full-service hotels in the area but I continue to like staying here when in Burlington.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Valdosta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I book with Candlewood Suites whenever I can. I have stayed in Miami, Philidelphia, Reading (PA), Atlanta, Tampa, Macon...you get the picture. You know what you are going to get when you book a Candlewood Suites room...usually. I stayed at this hotel for an extended stay when I was working in the Boston area. The location is excellent for dining and for my business purposes. However, I found its quality and service not up to par with others in the chain.

To begin, the check-in was difficult and lengthy. This was because of the person working the desk. The rooms were in need of updating (they may have been updated since my stay). The dishes in the kitchen were old and worn and appeared dirty; I felt the need to clean all the dishes before use (I do this in suite hotels anyway, but it felt NECESSARY at this hotel. The laundry room was old and run down, the machines were very dated.

This Candlewood Suites was also noisy. It appeared that there were several shuttles carrying students to and from the hotel, and there also appeared to be many that may actually be living on government assistance living at the hotel. I have nothing against any of these folks, but as a business traveler I would prefer a cleaner, quieter, and safer feeling environment.

I personally will not stay here again as I know of many more hotels in the area that are cleaner and have friendlier staff.

***In fairness, my stay was in 2011; this hotel MAY have been remodeled since then - the dropdown choice for time of stay only goes to March 2012.***

Room Tip: Many Candlewood Suites have had recent major remodeling; call and ask if this hotel has been renovat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Tim H,

Thank you for leaving us a feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to room accommodations, check in service and level of noise. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Zelyn N
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel has larger rooms with kitchenettes, comfortable beds, flat screen tv's and very clean. We were very happy with the staff, room and price is easy on the wallet compared to the others in the area. They have a small store in the lobby on the honor system that has anything you would need during your stay. Will be staying again next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Little hard to find access to parking lot
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington? Share your experiences!