“Think Twice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Old Sea Pines Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brewster
Old Sea Pines Inn
2553 Main St., Rte. 6a, Box 1070, Brewster, MA 02631   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Brewster B&B and Inns
Vermont
“Think Twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Hmm...where do I even begin? First, let me tell you that Old Sea Pines is the HoJo's of Inn's. The first night we stayed in the $80 a night rooms (they have a shared bath). I had called ahead and asked about the beds, as I have a bad back and was traveling a long distance in a car. Anywho, we check in to find that the bed they had assured me was in such a great condition wasn't even actually a bed, but a foam mattress. As much as I enjoyed sleeping on the double-wide cot, we upgraded to the next room in the morning, which was $160 a night. Ah yes, the 'new' mattress from the bargain store. Literally, when my boyfriend got up from the bed, I actually popped up. When I complained the following morning, I was told 'well no one else has ever complained, we have excellent bed.". This was a fRiday and we had one more night there. I asked if I could leave, given I was having trouble sleeping in their beds and I was told unless they found a replacement, I would be charged. Given the place was half empty I figured that wouldn't be a likely prospect so I stayed one more night.

That evening we returned at about 10:30, exhausted as we had been out since 10 that morning. We pull into the parking lot to find it full. We walk in and realize there is a wedding reception happening, right below our room. The place isn't exactly sound proof...we go to our room and all we can here is dance music and shouting...I mean it's a wedding party!! I walked back downstairs to let the Innkeepers know how upset I was that we weren't told about this and she said to me "well most people come to the cape and stay out all night'. We had been gone for 12 hours!!! she then wanted to know if we had wanted to go to sleep. Ah yes, we did! You couldn't even read a book it was so loud. I got very irate and told her that it was unacceptable we weren't privy to this information before we rented the room, let alone when I had spoke with them that morning. She was so rude and disrespectful, I can't believe they are in business. The music stopped at 11 and then they moved furniture for the next hour. It was another sleepless night at the Old Sea Pines Inn.

But let me move on. The breakfast: Think a Howard Johnson's continental. yes, they do advertise hot food but I'm usually not lining up for a trough of eggs that have been sitting over a bunson burner. The Inn is clean, I’ll give it that and looks kind of cute…until you start to notice the details. It felt like corners were being cut everywhere from the scratchy towels, cumberland farm english muffins, fake maple syrup, to the vinyl shades and polyester blankets.

Do yourself a favor and stay at a different spot. At the very least, make sure there are not any wedding parties planned. If you are operating as a B&B and you can't get the bed right and your breakfast really stinks...then maybe you're in the wrong business.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Our family of 4 (parents and two teenage girls) spent 4 nights at this Inn.

We were very well cared for by the friendly owners and their staff during our stay.

We were put up in an annexe suite with two good sized bedrooms. The annexe allowed the family to be together, but also with some privacy.

The old house was lovely - large rooms and open fires. The children also found the free use of the internet very helpful too.

We were given lots of good advice by the staff about where to eat locally.

I'd recommend this Inn to you - it was excellent value for money, and very convenient for everywhere on the Cape.

Stayed June 2007
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

My boyfriend and I decided to spend my 25th birthday in the Cape at Old Sea Pines because we wanted a nice, quiet weekend. It was the first trip out to the cape and it was great. The inn itself was perfect. I found the staff to be very polite, but not overly friendly. Our room was immaculate, the bed comfy, and the furniture was so well-suited to the inn's age. There's a lovely living room where you can hang out and relax. Brewster itself is a quiet getaway on the Cape (something we soon learned after driving to Hyannis & Provincetown and experiencing the frantic energy there). It's also surrounded by quite a few eateries and restaurants; we happened to dine at Chillingsworth for my birthday - highly recommended!

The only negative: we happened to be staying there the same weekend a wedding / wedding reception was going on. It tended to get loud at times, though the reception was mostly over by 10:30 pm. Parking at the inn during this time tended to be a problem. Also the complimentary breakfast, although good, didn't change day to day. It consisted of the usual standards: toast, bagels, cold cereal, fruit, ham, eggs, coffee. All buffet style. It would have been nice to have some variety during the week.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the inn if you're looking for a quiet Cape Cod weekend.

• Stayed July 2005
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2004

My husband and I stayed in the "family" cottage toward the front of the property with our daughters, 6 and 11. We were impressed with the large room with hard wood floors and a 4 poster bed, a separate room for our daughters with quilts on the beds and a bookshelf full of children's books, and a large dressing/bathroom area between the two rooms where you could get ready without waking anyone. Since we chose to leave the windows open rather than run the air conditioner most of the nights of our stay, we could hear the sounds of cars driving down the road throughout the night, which did not bother us. It was fun to hang out in the parlor of the main house in the evenings, play the piano, and check out memorabilia from the Inn's earlier days as a charm school, but can't say that my girls are any better behaved than before our visit! Staff was always happy to give us recommendations for activities and restaurants, and even made reservations for us. (Which is especially handy considering that there are no phones in the rooms.) The complimentary breakfast buffet is a nice touch and helped get us out the door to experience the wonderful activities the Brewster area has to offer. We almost paid significantly more to stay at a resort down the road, but based on the indifferent service and mediocre food we received there, we were glad that we decided on the simplicity, value, and charm that the Old Sea Pines Inn has to offer. We enjoyed dining at Chillingsworth (there is a less expensive "bistro" side) and Spark Fish. Both restaurants are a short walk from the Inn. Old Sea Pines Inn was a great choice for us.

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2004

The inn is pretty and quaint. The staff were not all that friendly. I asked for a cup of tea in the afternoon and was told that I had to wait until after dinner. They seemed annoyed at my request. Also, it would be nice if guests had access to an ice machine, as an ice bucket is provided, but have to ask the staff for ice, and they leave the inn in the early evening.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2004

Nice place. The staff here are very friendly and helpful. We had never been to the Cape before and they were quick to give great suggestions. Our room had lovely antique furniture and was exactly what you'd expect from a quaint bed and breakfast. There was a decent cold and hot breakfast, buffet style. The thing that struck me negatively were the towels-- they were thin, old and musty-- I hated wiping my hands on them because they left an odor on my skin. Other than that, a pleasant stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2003

We have been going to Cape Cod for many years. The Old Sea Pines Inn is working very hard to keep the ambiance of a relaxed, early 20th century inn . We loved the feel of the antique furniture , the front porch was a "melt-down" place for real. Plan on going back many more times in all seasons!!

Been to Old Sea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!