“Brewster Favorite - Still Very Good, Not Great Anymore” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
New York City, New York
“Brewster Favorite - Still Very Good, Not Great Anymore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We are long time annual visitors to this Brewster favorite. Always hate to leave the beach early to get on line. The food is good but not as impressive as it once was. Maybe we have been there too many times...or there are too many other more interesting options.

Visited July 2014

Brewster, Massachusetts
“Follow up Visit, slightly better but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I'll start out by saying it was a better experience than our last review in May. Here come the "buts," drink service is still way too slow which I think falls on the back of having only one barkeep, they should have another helper for wine to speed things along. While I was getting things settled with the hostess, my wife went to the small bar to get some wine while we waited for our table. The barkeep did not even acknowledge her for quite some time, this isn't some dive bar where you line up 10 deep, a simple "I'll be right with you or sorry for the wait" would have been polite. And, it's too small of place for her not to have been noticed.

Our waitress was polite and attentive, the oysters were well presented, but the mignonette and horseradish were in tall rectangular cups that made serving them difficult, not to mention we had to ask for utensils and the tablespoons provided for the sauce did not work with the cup size and the horseradish shavings were bland, no bite.

We also had the steak tartare hard boiled eggs. It has great potential to be a fun, tasty dish, it was so very close but, it was a touch bland and missing that play of the yoke and paprika flavors you would expect. Overall it was good.

I had the scallops which were cooked well, but the sauce was quite sweet, while when combined with the dish as a whole it partially tamed the sweetness, it was quite overpowering on its own. For the price, 4 scallops should have been served not 3, which also would have left less of the dish to eat without them.

The hanger steak was cooked as asked, seasoned well and tender. A good dish overall.

All in all, you will likely have a decent meal, but I can't get past 3 stars on the rating: drink service is still slow, inconsistencies in cooking, menu could be a little more creative, the steak tartare dish was a nice surprise. We'll check back again...

Visited July 2014
Yarmouth
“Great date night experience. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Started off with the Charred Octopus. Cooked perfectly, tasted amazing, and the sauce that accompanied it was delicious!

My husband had the Hanger Steak as his main. Very tender and yummy. Only complaint on this was that he ordered it medium - it came out medium rare, and one piece was very rare. It was so good though (I lean towards the rare to medium rare side myself, so I loved it) that he didn't say anything.

I has a bowl of chowder and Fluke Ceviche as my main course. The chowder was to die for. Much better than the typical Cape fare. And it was obvious how fresh the ingredients of the Ceviche were. Yum!

The hostess was extremely friendly when we walked in. We decided to sit at the bar for dinner as there was a 30 minute wait. Very happy we did. Bartender was very friendly, knowledgeable, and fun to listen to (as he dealt with other customers ;) Atmosphere was great - loved that it wasn't "loud." Will definitely recommend and be back!

“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Decided to try this small restaurant for lunch, and was pleasantly surprised. My group of six was able to be seated right away. I had sesame seed encrusted flounder with Asian vegetables and it was incredible! The other members of my group enjoyed their meals so much that they went back for dinner the next night. It is a small restaurant, so based on your time of arrival, you could have to wait, but we found it worth the wait.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge
“It's over”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This used to be one of the best places to get fish on the cape. What happened? I ordered baked cod and it was runny and wet and gray. The veg was over cooked and covered in pepper. Others at the table felt the same about their meals. We won't be going back.

• Visited July 2014