“Blown away by these poor reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Brewster
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
“Blown away by these poor reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We wandered down 6A looking for a nice lunch spot when we came across this place and discovered they were open for lunch. We were very happy about this as it is 1/2 hour or so from our house and they do not take reservations for dinner so we have always decided against making the trek and ending up with no dinner. We are from the Cape and eat a lot of seafood and have family members and neighbors bringing us fresh fish, steamers, littlenecks etc. We ordered off the specials menu; Wellfleet steamers $12 and Sesuit Lobster sliders $18 I think. Then I realized that they offered Stony Island Mussels so we ordered that too. The steamers were outstanding, sweet and as good as I remember eating in a long time. They were good size and a great value. The lobster sliders were very good as well and the fried potatoes (gaufrette?) were outstanding and seasoned perfectly. I have ranted about Stony Island mussels before so whenever we can actually get them we take full advantage. These were wonderful, as always, plump and sweet. The broth for the mussels was happily sopped up with the warm rolls. My wife loved the sangria made with red and white wine, then we split an inexpensive bottle of muscadet that was perfect. Everyone around us, it was busy, seemed to have beautiful plates and looked very happy. It is a tiny place so I understand the "no reservations" policy and I understand why they put a table by the mens room, but I wouldn't want to sit there either. I cannot fathom how the poor reviews previous to ours came about. Everything about the place seemed perfect, the décor, our server, the food, the wine list etc. I think we spent $90 before tip for an app, 2 entrees, a sangria, a bottle of wine and coffee. Maybe not a weekly visit but well worth it. We checked out the dinner menu and we can't wait to go back!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oslo, Norway
“Nice seafood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had streamed mussels and fish and chips. The fish and the mussels were good, but the chips both cold and quite boring. Soup with the mussels too salty. All in all not excellent.

Service was great though.

Dennis Port, Massachusetts
“yumm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I went here without the kids of course, and it was very good. I wasn't sure what to order because everything was so fancy. I settled with the cod and was pleased. A cute place and a good atmosphere although a little pricey.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great food, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Brewster fish house is an excellent seafood restaurant in the town of Brewster. On our recent visit, we feasted on fresh swordfish and a crab/cod combo, both of which were cooked to perfection. Real good.

Visited July 2014
Buckhorn, Canada
“For a place called "fish house" one would expect better fish...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I came here for dinner after finding the nearby golf club restaurant to be beyond packed. We were hoping the place would live up to its name and provide a variety of seafood options but sadly the menu seemed somewhat limited given the proximity to the coast. We both ordered the cod and had scallops to start. The scallops were kind of squished and a little overdone. The fish was good but a little bland and the sides - potatoes and asparagus were nothing special. The meal was somewhat pricey and I don't think the quality of the cooking lived up to the price point. There were plenty of people in the restaurant but I've had better seafood in the middle of Canada, far from an ocean.
Inside, decor was fairly dated and staff dressed very casually which seemed to be mismatched to the diners who were mainly dressed up.
Meal was close to $90 without alcohol and with only one starter. I don't mind paying that for a good meal, but I've had far better for less. It wasn't bad - it just wasn't that good. We were in the area several days and did not return, nor would we.

• Visited June 2014