“new chef at Brewster Fish House” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
New Haven CT
“new chef at Brewster Fish House”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

visited the restaurant on our yearly trip to the Cape.As usual our dining experience was delightful.I have since found from local periodicals that a new chef is at the helm . Chef for the past five years is now at Enzo in Provincetown. M.F.G. New Haven Ct.

newjersey
“We love the Brewster Fish House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

The wait is well worth it.. We have never been disappointed with a meal from this lovely restaurant. We vacation in the Cape every year and live Central Jersey and go to some some top resturants in NJ and we go to The Brewster Fish House at least twice when we are there. The service is great and the staff friendly and attentive.

NYC
“Dime a Dozen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

It’s just hype.

The food was really mediocre, we don’t mind the wait if it’s something worth waiting for, but we were very disappointed in this restaurant.
Dishes

Appetizer: tuna tartar---lacked in season/taste, poorly made. I've had much of raw tuna in my days--the free bread and butter topped this dish!

Soup: lobster bisque---good but not memorable

Entree: sautéed cod with veggies-- big disappointment, fish over cooked, bland, veggies weren’t fresh and overdone, peas were frozen type.

Entree: classic short rib with mash potatoes and risotto---really good, short rib cooked to perfection well seasoned and nice portion, risotto tasty with cheddar cheese, but both these ingredients did not compliment each other risotto over powered the short rib.

Service: waitresses very cheery BUT very forgetful and poor communication/experience with customers (read below)

BIG Disappointment in timing, we got seated at 8:10 ordered at 8:15, appetizers came at 8:40, entree came very late, I see waitresses standing around, not even to check if we wanted more drinks! we had to ask waitress to check on food, it arrived at 9:15!!(<<starving at this point, finished bread) maybe our dishes took longer??!? but if two tables came 15 minutes AFTER us and already finished their dessert while we STILL await our main courses, that is a big NONO, don’t you think if our dish was going to take a long time, they would tell your or.. keep you updated ??
The twist---, while eating our main dishes, waitresses kept coming up to us asking if everything was ok!? where were you before???

all in all, dime a dozen/mediocre. I highly reccommend PEDDLERS CAFE AND GRILL a 5 minute drive from this place. Its wonderful, my review will be there as well. Its a MUST.

Ridgefield, CT
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

Memorial Day we wandered down Route 6A looking for a place for dinner - no real destination, and happened upon the Brewster Fish House. It was around 6 PM. At first, we were told that there would be a 25-30 minute wait. We had not even ordered a drink at the bar when we were seated. Apparently, this is a miracle on a busy night.

The food and the service was absolutely wonderful. I read some of the other reviews that were negative - and I keep wondering if they were at the same restaurant. Both of us like to eat out at better restaurants in Fairfield County, CT - not a too shabby place for food.

I had a scallop dish that was heavenly, and my wife had the local cod - an incredible choice.

We will be back.

Orleans, Ma.
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Although we live on the Cape in a nearby town during the Summer, we had never been able to get into Brewster Fish House. Based on articles written about it, and reports by other diners, we had high hopes. I would have to say this was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had anywhere. Part of it was service related. Our server seemed a little overwhelmed. I could forgive bringing the wrong wine, but when we opened the napkin covering the roll basket, there were 3 portions inside. Two of them were pieces of roll that had obviously been torn apart by other diners and put back in the basket. There was no way our waitress could have looked inside before serving them. The one roll that was whole was cold and stale. The prices are high and the portions pretty small. My shrimp dish was tasty but the shrimp were seriously overcooked and rubbery. Our poached pear dessert with ginger, orange and almonds was cold and tasteless, with what looked like canned mandarin oranges. I don't know what to say about this place. Maybe it was an odd night, but we will certainly never return and cannot recommend it to anyone. This is by the way the first restaurant I ever felt called to report on. I use this site frequently and depend on its reviews for guidance. Diner beware here.