“State Park” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nickerson State Park Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brewster
Nickerson State Park Campgrounds
You added Nickerson State Park Campgrounds to your Saves list
Route 6A, Brewster, MA 02631   |
Newton, Massachusetts
“State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

the site has few areas to camp, each has its own twist.
we stayed in area 005 which i highly recommend if you want to have lake view or be near the lake.
the lake itself is amazing with its sandy shore and cold water. you can easily spent there a full day. one side of the lake has beach (not sure if there was life guard). we also rented kayak and sea cycle.
restroom could need some more daily attention and better cleaning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
UPTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I love Nickerson State Park. Have been there numerous times and have enjoyed every trip, including my last this past week. However, our campsite this time, Area 3, Site 101 was like being stuck in a studio apartment. We barely had room for two small tents and a small dining canopy. It was hard to stake the tents and canopy down because we had to go into the woods. One car had to be blocked in by the other car. There are other very small sites in Area 3. I've stayed there before and I wonder if the bush isn't being cut back as it has in the past. A couple of sites I stayed in seemed to be a lot smaller.

That said, we did enjoy our stay, the bike paths, Flax pond, and we discovered Crosby Landing Beach across Rt. 6a. I dropped my family off, went back and parked in the Nickerson bike lot and rode my bike the short 1/2 mile trip back. No need to worry about getting up early enough before the parking lots fill, or pay to park. Not the beauty of the National Seashore beaches, but a nice little bay beach with warm water.

Room Tip: Avoid Area 3, site 101
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Braintree, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

No electricity, no tv, no wifi, no water at any of the sites. Community water faucets sprinkled throughout not too far from any site and restrooms do have flush toilets, but showers are in one building shared by more than one site and often driven to. Every site is different. Different shape, size, shade, few are level. This is and old style campground where the sites can be far apart or you're practically on top of your neighbor. that said, you need to reserve a site 6 months in advance for the summer because the location is absolutely fabulous for touring the cape. If you have never been here before and you like a bit of room between you and your neighbor I would suggest sites 6, 6x, or 7 and select one on the outside perimeter. The sketch of the sites when making reservations is not too bad when trying to find a site with space between.

• Stayed June 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have camped at Nickerson every summer since I was a kid 40 years ago. The sites are large with lots of trees between them. There are clean ponds for fishing, swimming and paddling, with lots of roads and paths for biking. The bathrooms are about as buggy and dirty as any camp bathroom would be, but there are lots of bathrooms that are well lit and easy to access from any site in the park. The two shower houses are large and free. The playground is amazing for all ages of kids. The camp store doesn't over charge you for things you may have forgotten. The rangers are helpful and kids programs interesting. You are close to the ocean beaches and all the other Cape attractions. I tell my husband that heaven will look a lot like Nickerson. We love it there.

Room Tip: There are lots of families in Area 6. The public beach is on Flax Pond. Quiet hours are between 10P...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brewster, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My family has resided in Brewster, MA for the past 40 years. My parents are business owners in the town and for the last ten years in particular we have had a site in June before the busy season for our business begins.

This year I rented two sites adjacent to each other on the water. I arrived at the site at 530 pm to set up the tent and was followed by two other guests who would be residing on the site as well. After the tents were set up we decided to set up our fire as well as our grill. At approximately 6 pm, a park ranger arrived at our site stating that he had received a few calls from surrounding campers stating that "they [were] concerned that our age would be a problem". We are all in our twenties.

It was obvious that this was going to set the tone for the night. It is EXTREMELY disrespectful to be ageist. He continued to inform us that in the past, sometimes he had had bad experienced with young adult campers and that it was pertinent that there were only to be 8 guests at the sites. We kindly understood his concerns and assured him that we would do our best efforts to not be a bothersome to other families and campers but informed him in advance that we would be having a few more friends joining us for our dinner.

At approximately 7-7:30 pm, the ranger arrived at our campsite again. At the current time of arrival, two people were about to walk down the path to go fishing, while a remaining five of us were laying out food on the table for dinner. He stated that he wanted to
"make sure" that we were aware of when quiet hours were because it was of concern to other campers. Not only we were not being loud, we were surrounded by other campsites who were having family gatherings and were at the same volume if not louder than us.

At 10:05 pm we had 8 campers and 5 guests at our site sitting around the campfire and catching up. A neighbor approached us and said that it was quiet hours (5 minutes past 10 which is quiet hours) and that we were being "obnoxiously loud". We apologized if we had been too loud and told him that the guests would be leaving shortly.

A half an hour later, the park ranger approached our site again. He said that since we had two sites we were limited to only having 8 campers. In all honesty, we had lawn chairs set up around the fire and were eating hot dogs and marshmallows and talking quietly amongst ourselves. The ranger was completely disrespectful, commented that we were selfish young adults who had no respect or consideration for other people. The camper who had previously complained about us then joined into the conversation and stated that we should be kicked out. The ranger then abruptly yelled at a few of us to leave. We were currently at 8 campers, the allowed number.

Following the incident, we packed up our belongings and left Nickerson. Myself as well as two other campers returned an hour later to sleep.
At 2 am, the ranger approached our tent furious while we were sleeping. He woke me up stating that he had received an incident report that stated that we were "drunkingly disturbing, yelling, screaming and laughing". We had been sleeping though, the only noise that occurred was the parking of the car amongst returning as well as the opening of tents and moving of sleeping bags etc. I assured the ranger that I had not been drinking and that we were sleeping. There were only three of us at the site at the time, two in one tent and one in another so a complaint about noise and drunken disturbance from 3 sleeping campers is completely unjust.

At 2:30 the ranger approached the tent again asking us to leave because we were talking too loudly. Yes, I had been talking in a tent with another camper who had been sleeping at 2 am when the ranger approached and I was explaining the situation to him. Nowhere in the rules does it say that a camper may not talk quietly in their tent. This is especially ridiculous because at the time there were fireworks being lighted up at a site not too far from where we were staying. After the ranger drove away, the camper who had been complaining stood at the top of the site and flashed a flash light on our campsite for five minutes before walking away.

My guests and my experience at Nickerson State Park has tainted our view of the park and it is safe to say that we will never return. It is sad that locals of Brewster cannot enjoy the amenities of the park without being faced with age discrimination and a constant unnecessary hassle. It is understandable to reprimand campers who are a bothersome or actually causing a drunken disturbance, but to be faced with such rudeness and disrespect for talking around a campfire is preposterous. We were told many times that Nickerson State Park is a family campground. I will never return to a family campground that does not allow for family and friends to join together and enjoy each others company.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've been camping in a lot of different places, and Nickerson State Park was by FAR, my favorite. I traveled here last year, in early June, for a family event put together by my town's schools, called "No Mom's Weekend". This is a dads and kids only event, where dads take kids camping. It is always a lot of fun. We go again next weekend, I'm very excited! The park had very close campgrounds, so we were close to our family friends; there was an amazing view of the lake just nearby; and a fire pit made it easy to make meals.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Nickerson State Park campground for 4 nights in July, 2011. We stayed in Section 7, site 003, and it was a huge site - there was probably room there for at least 3 tents. It was very quiet, and there were some lovely hiking paths nearby. The bathrooms were close, but not too close, and they were clean, although extremely buggy! (Ah, the great outdoors!). There are no showers in Area 7, so we drove (I have a bad hip which makes long walks difficult) to Area 6 for showers. This is definitely a more quiet area of the park, although you can hear the roadways just outside the park - we heard ambulance sirens nearly every night. If you like things a little more lively, there are other areas of the park where you can definitely get to know your site neighbors, and some sites are overlooking the ponds.

The great thing about the park is that you are right there, on the Cape. Brewster beaches are only a short drive from the campground entrance, there are grocery stores nearby so you don't have to bring all your supplies with you, and you can access all the fun things that are on the Cape. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the maps before you choose where you are going to stay!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nickerson State Park Campgrounds? Share your experiences!