“MIXED Feelings!!” 2 of 5 stars

Activities: Biking, Swimming
13 attraction reviews
“MIXED Feelings!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

First of all,avoid loop 5 if you want space and ANY sense of privacy! I read all these glowing things about this place and carefully placed our reservation, and made a huge point to my family about how large the site would be and how perfect the camping would be for us. Then we get there, and the site is smaller than what we ar e used to, there is no place to wash dishes, and the sites around us are LOADED with extra cars. One site consistently had FIVE cars there at night. Clearly people were coming into the park after hours and camping with family or friends. I mentioned this to the management, and for one night they policed the front gate, and for that night there were fewer cars. The next night, there was no one at the front gate, and the same cars returned. it was a parking lot!! I have never had such a situation at a State Park a campground, and I have done tons of camping around North America in state and national parks. The bathrooms in area 5 were not terribly cleaned or maintained, but the showers in area 2,3,4 were fine. We looked at area 4 and found many sites that would have been much better, being larger, and not overrun with cars and other vehicles, and with some privacy. Then on our day of departure, which was yesterday, we had the most amazingly intrusive experience I have ever had at any campground. There were people with bull horns and microphones all over our area, apparently organizing some sort of large camp event. There were lots of buses, other vehicles, and endless LOUDNESS from the bull horns, walkie talkies and the PA system they seemed to have so installed. This all happened on a Saturday MORNING in August! It was a totally inappropriate way to treat campers- they could have found another way to do this for their kid camps, or at the very least warned their camper GUESTS of what was coming. Loop 5 was probably the most affected, and there aren't that many sites there (one of the reasons I reserved a site there 6 months in advance to the day, in addition to glowing remarks others on tripadvisor made about that area). It was unpleasant, and surely took a great deal away from feeling like you were in the woods.

All that being said, I would still consider Returning to Nickerson, but to loop 4, since the Nickerson Park location is great. I Would hope that things there might be handled a bit better, and I am both amazed and disappointed that our experience last week was marred by the things I mentioned. We enjoyed our family time together over the fire and sleeping outside, and being on the shore despite the shortcomings I have mentioned. It simply fell short of many expectations.

Visited August 2013

Trumbull, Connecticut
“Try the Bike Trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Fantastic bike trail starts in Dennis MA and goes all the way through the park to Wellfleet. The trail is relatively flat and goes through several towns (including a nice stop in Orleans with a bike shop and other stores).

Visited August 2013
Orleans, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful camping, fishing, hiking, bike paths, safe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have never camped there, but have visited friends who were camping there on numerous occasions. This is definitely for family fun with all ages of members. If you can, reserve a site near one of the large ponds for easy access to fishing. All you will need is a MA freshwater fishing license and a suitable rod and reel. I have seen rainbow trout caught, so I would assume that the state regularly stocks the ponds. The bike trails are spectacular, and connect to the Cape Cod Rail trail system, which goes on for miles in either direction from the park. The camp sites have water, and available showers, but no electricity hook ups. I have seen everything from very small tents to large buses at these sights, although larger buses are limited to the areas that can accommodate them. Camping fees are modest, but reservations are absolutely necessary, especially for the height of the summer season. Make them well in advance for premium spots.

For those of us who live near here in the winter, those bike trails through the Park make extraordinarily good cross country ski trails!

Visited August 2012
“Sweet swimmable ponds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good camping. Good swimming ponds, hiking. Well managed. Must reserve camping spots way ahead. Watch out for ticks. Great cross-country skiing on bike path in winter.

Visited July 2013
Rochester, New York
3 attraction reviews
“A quiet base camp to explore the areas in Cape Cod”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at Nickerson State Park 7/25/13-7/28/13. It's a great place to set up a base camp in order to explore the areas on Cape Cod, within the park and the beaches. Bikes are a great thing to bring as much of the area within the park and surrounding areas are bike friendly. Additionally, the Rail Trail is nearby for additional great biking.
The sites are a good size with lots of trees for sun coverage. The bathrooms are semi clean (we stayed during a very rainy couple of days) but average for any state park. The park was very quiet at night. We were very surprised that by 9:30pm there were few campfires and very little noise.
The camp store is about average and they close relatively early around 8:00pm each night. There are no facilities within the campground to wash or dry clothes. We stopped at Orleans Coin Op in Orleans and quickly left due to the rudeness of the person in charge of the business.
Nickerson State Park is a great place to explore and camp while enjoying the beauty and uniqueness of Cape Cod.

Visited July 2013