“Beverly's Best Pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Boston area
“Beverly's Best Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Those of us living in Beverly have many pizza options. This one is the best if you like thin crust cooked in a real wood fire oven -- add to it that it is ready in 90 seconds--DELICIOUS

Visited February 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Just like eating pizza in Italia. Even the North End in Boston doesn't come close!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have been fortunate to have lived in Italia for 5 years and to have eaten pizza in many cities including Napoli. When I asked at my hotel (in Italian) where I could find a good pizza the receptionist simply said to me “you are in Napoli!”
In over 17 years in the USA I never found a pizzeria that came even close to authentic Italian pizza until Piccola Napoletana. The menu has the variety of authentic pizzas that you would find in Italia. None of the places I have tried here in the US either served or would make a tuna and onion pizza (common in Italia). Also I only ever had mozzarella di buffala on a pizza once in the north end of Boston and it was so-so. My wife and I went there for New Year’s Eve and saw the preparation of the pizza. We could see fresh mozzarella, not processed stuff being used and other quality ingredients. The crust was delicious and cooked perfectly and the mozzarella and the meats were delicious. The chef even made some olio picante (spicy olive oil) for my diavola pizza (translation into American: pepperoni pizza). We had a great meal. My wife said it tasted just like the pizza we ate in Roma when we got married 3 years ago. The chef even topped my pizza with arrugala when I asked. It was obvious that the ingredients and oven were imported from Italia as stated on the menu. The chef is even from Napoli!
You should not expect Italian pizza to taste like American pizza, the style and ingredients are different oil and herbs are not added willy-nilly to the dough or sauce. You can certainly get a larger and cheaper pizza at Papa Gino’s, Domino or Bertucci, but the extra is more than worth it for a quality pizza. I’m so happy that after 17 years of looking that they opened up in a city that I just moved to 2 years ago. We will be a regular customers.
In reviewer John O's defence he may never have had a chance to eat a pizza in Italy so I will clear up some misconceptions for him and others as well as geography. Napoli (Naples) is not in Sicily. A Margherita pizza only has mozzarella and tomato it never has Romano or other cheeses or garlic and herbs. A Quattro Formaggi (4 cheese) pizza may have Romano cheese and other pizzas may have garlic and herbs. In Italy extra virgin olive oil comes on the table so you can add it to your pizza if you like. A pepperoni pizza has green sweet peppers not salami (diavola pizza). A final bit of advice check out a pizza with mozzarella di buffala it has a richer creamier taste than regular cow's milk mozzarella.
Paul K – Beverly MA

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Average pizza with a chance to improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have eaten Neopolitan pizza in various cities for 47 years, have lived in MA for 29 years. For Neopolitan "appiza", New York and New Haven is the benchmark. I have not had a good pizza in MA until Upper Crust appeared on Beacon Hill then spread like wildfire. Unfortunately ...

We recently ordered the Carrettiera and Margherita.

Carrettiera: all quality ingredients. Broccoloi rabe tasted good but should be diced (think of a long rabe from top to bottom of a slice). The sausage has little flavor. Dough could use some oil and be cooked until crispy (something I can ask for next time). No evidence of garlic, pecorino romano or herbs. The size of the pizza should be increased.

Margherita: Red sauce is good. Dough could use some oil and be cooked until crispy (something I can ask for next time). No basil visible on pizza. The size of the pizza should be increased.

This is based on two pizzas but where is the crispy crust, olive oil, garlic, pecorino romano or herbs that make a neopolitan pizza shine? Perhaps the difference is American Neoploitan versus Neopolitan from Sicily.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Fabulous Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Finally! Drool-worthy pizza in Beverly. As good as NYC's best. Gorgeous custom-designed wood-fired oven turns out Neapolitan thin-crust pies with delicious toppings. Crust is nicely charred. Sauce is nice. Not too sweet. Not too tart. Buffalo mozzarella is especially good.

Atmosphere is spartan, but homey. Just a few tables. Mostly take out. For dessert, consider Nutella calzone.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Best Pizza in New England!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Had dinner quite a few times at the main restaurant down the street called Prides Osteria which is very good. Last time I went in for dinner they told me that just a few blocks down they had just opened a napolitan style pizzeria.

So on the way out of Prides we decided to go check out the new pizza spot. Wow what a place! First of all the oven that they have there is the "real deal"! Directly built and imported from Naples, Italy it is a masterpiece just to look at.

Than there is "Ciro" who comes directly from Naples and has a pizzeria in Rome and who's dad actually hand built the oven. The owners of Prides are extremely nice people and this is reflected in the restaurant's atmosphere.

Even though we had quite a big meal at Prides Osteria (the main restaurant) we decided to order a small margherita pizza, well it was the best decision ever. We just loved the crispiness, tenderness, of the dough mixed to the awesome mozzarella and tomatoe sauce with a touch o real Italian extra virgin olive oil and basil.

If I lived locally I would be there every day, living in Boston makes it a long commute but its 110% worth it!

Will be back very soon!