“Best RB sandwich to ever touch my palate” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
New Boston, New Hampshire
“Best RB sandwich to ever touch my palate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We visit Nick's Famous Roast Beef whenever we're in the Beverly area on any mid-day of the week. It's easy to find in North Beverly on Route 1A (Dodge Street) about a mile or so from Route 128, within a stone's throw of the MBTA train station.

Nick's has limited parking so you might have to wait a minute for a space. As a side note, remember that Beverly is in the heart of the Northshore, famous for some of the worst drivers in the country. Inside, you'll find a line during mealtimes but service is fast and efficient so don't worry about a long wait. Today at Noon, I got a parking spot within a minute and my wife was in and out with our lunches in less than 10 minutes.

While Nick's has a fairly full Deli-Style menu, we strictly order the always warm, medium rare (a nice pink and near red if you ask) Roast Beef sandwich. You can have sauce but why ruin the best RB around? My wife always has a Large on a Bulkie Roll with cheese but I prefer the "Super" on a big fresh (toasted) Onion Roll. The only thing added is a good dab of mayonaise spread over the roll. If you enjoy moist, warm, thinly sliced highgrade roast beef, I think you'll agree with me that Nick's is just about As Good as it Gets, period.

The deli/restaurant also offers plain seating but we prefer to hop back into the car and drive a few minutes north on Route 1A to Hamilton's Patton Park to enjoy our sandwiches and sometimes fries or onion rings (both good but nothing to brag about like the RB) within view of an authentic WW-II Patton Tank. A delicious alternative to fries or rings is a bag of fresh Wachusett plain potato chips made somewhere locally in Massachusetts; they're better than all the national brands.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Beverly, mass
“Always Good, Always Dependable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Been here many times. Like my roast beef plain, just bun and meat & no toppings, so there is no way to mask the flavor if slightly off. Meat is fresh and still warm from cooking and is excellent. Can't comment on anything else as I just have the Rost beef....for many years!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“fresh sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The roast beef sandwich is excellent! So the line up at the order desk is always long. And the seating area is too small. But with the good food, people don't mind these little disadvantages.

Visited July 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had lunch and all of our meals were not all that great and even my kids (who love this stuff) didn't finish. The meat was overcooked and greasy tasting. The onion rings were hard and overcooked and the french fries were not cooked enough and tasted as though they had been dipped and coated in oil and just served. The staff was ok but appeared to have an attitude about all of the orders in such a short period of time. The restaurant itself needs a complete update and makeover. I chose Nick's because of all the hype of how "good" it is and was very disappointed with such poor food quality that they served. Our meal was so bad, it ended up in the trash and we went elsewhere for lunch. I did complain about our meals and was told that we would have to wait for the manager (who had stepped out).

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“Great lunch stop - yummy beef!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stopped here on our way up to Maine...it's not too far of a side trip off the interstate. It is a small strip plaza counter service joint - very busy and hard to find a parking spot at lunch time and hard to find a table inside. I think this place is another one of the many CASH only places we experienced on our Boston trip.

The beef made it worth it all - really thin sliced, tender, rare beef - an excellent lunch pick!

• Visited June 2013