“I love the people!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Salem, Massachusetts
“I love the people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Every one was so nice and I found the food to be very good and priced so well! Lot's of good drinks as well!I liked the staff and the manager was so nice!What a nice fun place!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food but okay service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been their a couple times before and the food was great, but the last time I was unhappy with the service. It took over 45 minutes for them to make and serve an order of nachos and two plates of sushi, and this was even after we told them we were in a bit of a rush being on lunch break. They took so long we had them change it to a to go order after 50 minutes of waiting. Don't get me wrong, normally I'd wait that long for their baked haddock dish, but because I was in a rush I order nachos an easy dish and was disappointed.

Boston
“Fun vibrant spot that offers a wide selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went here on a Saturday night with 2 other couples. Arrived at 6:30 and expected a long wait (they don't take reservations), but only had to wait around 30 minutes. Great bar area with a wide selection of brews on tap. Was seated promptly and given great service the entire night. This place is reasonably priced with a very wide selection of food - no one goes away disappointed. We had some of the sushi and oysters for starters, while other couples ordered more traditional apps. Fresh generous salad that you can easily split between people. Myself and one other had the seafood risotto which was fantastic and full of plenty of shrimp, scallops, and mussels. Great wine list including ample by-the-glass selections. Will be back again soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Great Family Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

It has a real variety of foods from an oyster bar to a sushi bar. It is a small space but cleverly done. Lots of families but not noisey. The usual sports tv s.
The menu variety is very good with large portions. Almost everyone left with a "doggy bag." Good bar selection too. Watch out for the desserts. They are excellent but overdone, that is, one dessert for two is plenty. My wife ordered the key lime pie which was a hefty slice but it came with 3 scoops of ice cream with whipped cream on top!!! Who needed the meal?
Limited parking out front but very close to a public parking lot.
A friendly warm spot for a casual tasty dinner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“BAD service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

When Hale St. opened I was psyched because not only was it a short drive from my house, but it is owned by the same group that owns my favorite restaurant - Alchemy. The first time I went in I had an OK dining experience. Food was decent, bar tender was kind of meh (we sat at the bar) and the vibe was laid back. The next 3 times I went there were probably the worst 3 dining experiences of my life.

Went on a Sunday for Kid's night where we waited forever to be seated and then waited over an hour and a half for our food. Note to the owners - kids won't sit around for 30 minutes nevermind and hour and 30 minutes waiting for anything. This wasn't unique to us - there were kids melting down all around us that had been waiting for their food too. Then my and my wife's meals came out first followed up by the kid's frozen french bread pizzas about 10 minutes later. I can see why they took so long - crazy cuisine there! All the while our waitress would come back and give us a different excuse every time as to why it was taking so long. At the end of dinner she offered to take the kid's meals off the bill. Um, kids eat free on Kid's Night. Thanks!

Next I went there with a friend of mine. We wanted a place to kick back, have some sushi and watch the Red Sox game. We got there around 9 and it was pretty quiet. We asked the staff if they were going to be closing soon since it was so dead and they said no, so we sat down and ordered. We got a couple beers while we were waiting for our food and then the staff starts putting the chairs up on the tables. We're sitting at the bar and they put the chairs on each side of us up on the bar on either side of us. Our sushi came and they were all eyeballing us like "god I wish they'd leave so I can go home". Awkwrd. We chowed the sushi, finished our beers and hit the road.

The third time (I can't believe I gave this place another chance) we went with another couple and their daughter along with our two kids. We ordered and, again, the food took over an hour. When the sushi me and my wife ordered finally came it was room temperature to warm. Nasty.

These visits all took place between 2010 - 2011. TA only gives the option to select dates in 2012.

Needless to say, I'm all set with HST. I don't hold it against this restaurant group though because I've had nothing but great experiences at Alchemy and Lat 43.

Visited January 2012