“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beverly
meridian, ms
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our way to Gloucester. The hotel was very nice. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
WylieInn, General Manager at Wylie Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you very much for selecting the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College on your recent visit to the north shore of Boston. We are always striving to exceed our guest experiences at the Inn, and appreciate your positive feedback. Beverly, MA is a quaint ocean front town that is convenient to Gloucester as well as all the other picturesque coastal towns north of Boston. Many of our guests find our location convenient, plus of our own small beach within walking distance of the Inn is a bonus. We hope you will visit us again on your next trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seattle Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I am originally from the North Shore and have stayed at many hotels and motels in the area. I was spending Halloween weekend in Salem and wanted to stay somewhere close by to the festivities (without actually being in Salem). My friend and I got a double room for the weekend, and I can honestly say that we enjoyed our stay at the Wylie Inn. The room was quiet and clean. It was nice to walk down to the beach behind the property too. The conference center is a beautiful old building. My only complaint would be that one of the front desk staff was a bit crabby. But other than that it's a great place to stay on the North Shore! And I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
WylieInn, General Manager at Wylie Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
We are very pleased that you selected the Wylie Inn and Conference Center in Beverly, MA as your home while attending the Halloween festivities in nearby Salem! We are an ideal spot, away from the hectic Haunted Happenings, but still close enough to be in and out of Salem quickly! We do take pride in our clean, cozy Inn which just happens to have a nice beach to walk on as well! I appreciate your comments on the staff and will every make an effort to impress upon the staff at the Inn to always be personable and welcoming to our guests! I hope you will return the next time in our area. We want to welcome you back!
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Wylie hotel the weekend before Thanksgiving for 2 nights. The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient checking us in. Our room was on the 3rd floor, with a mini-fridge and flat-screen television. It was clean and quiet. The bathroom appeared updated except for the stall shower, which showed considerable wear. With a heavy curtain on the shower, it was very dark. One easy upgrade would be to change the shower curtain to have a see-through section on the top 12" to get some light in the shower.

Our only complaint was the bed. It was much too firm making it difficult to sleep. We actually called the front desk in the morning asking to change our room for the second night so we could sleep. They told us all the beds were the same, but we could move a few doors down to a king-size bed (the original was queen-size). There was a marked difference in the second bed; it was far more comfortable and we were able to sleep the second night.

A few comments about the location of the Wylie. First, there is beach access from the hotel. We were lucky enough to be there on an unusually mild November day and took a walk down to the beach. It was a welcome surprise. Second, this is not a hotel I would want to stay at as a single traveler. It is off the beaten path and there were not a lot of other guests at the hotel the first night. Third, you definitely need a car and a gps to stay at this hotel. There is nothing around the hotel except for Endicott College. Most restaurants were at least a 10-minute drive from the hotel. And finding the hotel (especially at night) would be extremely difficult without the gps.

Overall a 3-star hotel. I would only stay here if visiting the north shore. It was an easy ride to Salem and Marblehead - and not too far from Gloucester.

Room Tip: Be careful not to get a room on the first floor between the lobby and the elevators. Every other pe...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WylieInn, General Manager at Wylie Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College. Our location gives those looking for a pleasant stay on the North Shore of Boston an option from the standard chain operations. We do offer our guests something a little different, yet clean, professional and personal with the added plus of a private beach. We have had wonderful November weather and ideal for a late season walk on the beach! Thank you for the suggestions on changing out the shower curtains, and I am glad you were more comfortable the 2nd night in the King Bed, vs our standard Queen Bed. We appreciate your selection of our Inn while in Beverly. We hope you visit again.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

In town visiting family for Thanksgiving and needed a place to lay our head. Wylie Inn served that purpose very well. The rooms are small, but well appointed and the bathroom large and clean. NIce little bistro/cafe that served an awsome bacon, cheese, egg croissant for breakfast. We didn't need to spend that much time in the room, so its smallness was not a problem. Nice big screen TV on the wall for entertainment when we were there. Only problem was late night wedding revelers were very noisy in the halls one night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your selecting our location in Beverly, MA at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College over Thanksgiving. Your comments on breakfast were particularly appreciated as we have just recently opened our new Fountain Cafe and Bar at the Inn. This is a new added service to the Inn and the staff is very encouraged by your positive review. As you can imagine we are a very popular site for weddings at Tupper Manor, which is a turn of the century manor with ocean views. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed by the wedding guests staying at the Inn and still celebrating late into the evening. We strive to have our guests respect others and not be disruptive in the public areas, but sometimes it is difficult to keep the celebration in check on these special occasion nights. We will work with the staff to do a better job of keeping our guest hallways clear of excess noise. Hope you will select our location again, and we will look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you,
Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This past weekend was my 3rd stay at the Wylie Inn located in Beverly, MA in the past year. I now feel I have experienced enough of a variety of conditions at the hotel to publish an honest and helpful review.
The property itself is very nice, as it is attached to a conference center that hosts various affairs including weddings. In good weather, I am certain the beautiful fountain area in the center of the spacious lawn provides for lovely photos. A new and helpful addition was the building of a covered walkway from the conference center to the hotel-a must for the often inclement Boston weather. They also recently added a small bistro/cafe where one can have a cocktail or a light meal without having to leave the hotel. The menu is small but adequate, and the waitstaff was friendly and enjoyable to chat with. I suggest they invest in a kitchen fan-as cooking odors permeate the entire 1st floor of the hotel, especially during the morning hours.
The rooms remain the best part of the hotel. The beds and linens are comfortable, the decor is neutral and soothing, and the rooms are quiet and well insulated from the noise of other guests. But...the rooms are very small, and many of the furnishings are beginning to show wear and tear. These are not expensive pieces of furniture, so they should be replaced when large chunks of wood are missing! My rooms were always clean, and the bathrooms sparkled. One will certainly find themselves well rested after a night's sleep as the room comfort is very good.
On the down side...prior to the opening of the Wylie's lobby cafe, a light continental breakfast was offered free to guests. It wasn't anything special-just the usual suspects; cold cereal, pastries, juice-breakfast bars ect. That same light meal will now cost you $9.00 in the cafe. Much too expensive for the quality of cheap doughnuts and cold cereal offered. You must understand that there are NO LOCAL restaurants close to the hotel. As a guest with an early flight to catch, or a conference to attend-you are held captive by the Wylie if you awaken hungry! The free coffee that is offered around the clock is awful. Rooms each have their own small coffee pot-bring or buy your own dry coffee and avoid the lobby dishwater! Tea drinkers are safe and a nice selection of tea was available.
The front desk does have available the menus of several local food shops which make deliveries to the hotel. Last visit we discovered Neapoli Pizza located in Beverly-they deliver, and the food is great! This is an option if you want to stay in for the evening and order out.
Now...room pricing-as this was Halloween weekend (and the Wylie is near Salem) the room price doubled and our usual $100 per nite room was $190.00 per nite. OUCH! This was far too expensive for this quality of hotel. At almost $200 per nite-at least add some pleasant front desk staff! I fail to understand why there is such a mix of good/awful desk clerks employed there. Please note that you must book thru the hotels website and be a registered "Preferred" member to gather reward points for your stay. They allow no consideration for room stays should you book thru expedia.com or thru your own travel agent.
Again, I give the Wylie Inn an average rating as I feel they rest on their laurels as being close to Endicott College and from their location in the beautiful town of Beverly. They make no effort to insure that your stay is pleasant-they know they are the only place to overnight in that area and they feel the guest can take it or leave.
From the buget furnished lobby and rooms,dirty and stained carpets, the greasy bacon smells waifing thruout the main hotel, the moody staff, the dirty cigarette butt laden front driveway...all theses negatives need to be addressed by the owners. As for us-we are moving on to another hotel in Salem. A bit more of a drive-but far more pleasant and certainly more appreciative of our business.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
WylieInn, General Manager at Wylie Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on your stay while at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College. Our new addition of the covered walkway connecting the Inn to the Meeting Place does complete our plan of making the Conference Center's three buildings all under one roof, eliminating our meeting attendees from walking out into inclement weather when traveling to the different areas of the conference center. And, we are pleased with the addition of our new Cafe now offering a lite breakfast and evening fare to our guests. We do wish to please all our guests whether traveling on business or pleasure and appreciate your comments so we can strive to always meet every guest's need. We will be sure to address each of your remarks both positive and constructive with our staff so we may improve for your next stay. Thank you,
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Wylie Inn is a lovely, quiet Inn on the water in Beverly. It's a perfect place for conferences, when you need a team to bond somewhere where distractions are at a minimum. The grounds are beautiful - it would be a perfect spot for a wedding. All the meeting rooms have windows and are nicely appointed. The hotel rooms are not opulent, but are nicely done.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College in Beverly, MA. We take pride in our beautiful manicured grounds, including the magnificent landmark fountain. We do reach out to conferences wishing a retreat like setting, free from distractions while also providing ocean views from the Tupper Manor, and all around excellent, attentive service. Tupper Manor does transform from the conference center dining area during the week to a beautiful location for weddings on the weekends. Hopefully you will return for another stay with us soon.
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I know that this is an independent style hotel and I was only 1 night, so not overly picky due to the fact that I had to be in this location for work. However, here is some feedback on my stay from September. My GPS directed me to drive in on the entrance near the fountain and it would have been nice to have some signage directing people to the inn as it seems to be a sort of business complex with inn/conference center and it was slightly confusing when you are driving in (especially in a downpour).

My room was the smallest room I've ever had in the US--about the size of a Parisian hotel room -- only a bed and a small desk would fit and it was maybe 10 x 10. It was TINY! I am used to small spaces, but this room would have been miniscule for a couple and not representative of hotel room sizes in the US (and especially since I saw other reviews mentioning spacious rooms). Again, since I was there 1 night, no real issue to complain about and it was in the rear, quiet, and newly renovated. The biggest issue was the shower. It was simply broken with water trickling down the wall under the shower head--not even a spray. I discovered this in the AM and it really caused me to lose some precious time as I had to use a cup to pour water on me to rinse out my shampoo. I did tell the front desk upon check out and was really questioned on the fact that the shower was broken--as if I didn't know how to operate it (very odd questions).

The breakfast set-up is really strange--you have to order at the counter and the food is really a microwave egg/potato kind of thing and you help yourself to bottled drinks. There were a number of other business travelers there who were there for a conference in the adjoining conference center and I can only say that I would only stay here if it was a work issue or a very short stay. Due to horrible inclement downpours, I didn't visit the beach that others mention, so I cannot comment.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
I appreciate the time you took to write your comments on your recent stay while at the Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College. Your comment regarding another sign indicating to follow the driveway around to the Inn parking lot was timely, as we have just added this to hopefully avoid confusion to guests arriving especially at night. The large green with the fountain can add some confusion as guests may not know to keep driving around to the other side, but hopefully we have eliminated that with the additional sign.
We believe we have identified your room and the shower has been fixed. I apologize for this malfunctioning shower, as it is obviously not our standard level of service. We do take pride to provide our guests with not only functioning guest rooms, but pleasant and attentive service.
Please let me know if you have plans to visit the Wylie Inn again, and I will assure you your room will be perfect! Thank you,

Been to Wylie Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!