“Great veggie burgers!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brew Pub
Vancouver, Washington
“Great veggie burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Great veggie burgers! We came for the atmosphere, but did not expect one of the best veggie burgers I have had (the black bean version--my partner had the other veggie burger and loved it). Good fries came with. Nice interior. Wood wood wood--feels good to me! Near the railroad tracks (hence the name). Friendly service. Our friends had fish and enjoyed it. Overall a great find! I recommend the black bean, she recommends the straight up veggie burger.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

massachusetts
“Not as good as it used to be...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Not sure what is going on with this place, but it definitely is not as good as it used to be! My last review of the Flat Penny was over a year and a half ago. Seeing as I gave it such a glowing review then, I thought it only fair to write about my last visit. I use TripAdvisor all the time and have always been able to trust the reviews on here. We headed out to the Flat Penny on a Monday night a little after 5pm. When we got there, only two booths had customers, and there were a couple people at the bar. One waitress was on duty. After being told to seat ourselves, we were given menus and placed our drink order. The waitress brought my seven year old, an adult sized drink in a glass, which I found odd. The menu hadn't really changed much. There was a menu of specials and when I saw an all-time favorite Reuben sandwich on there, even though I felt $11.95 was a bit pricey, I knew that would be my choice. As the place was not busy, our food was delivered in a timely manner. Let me tell you, I was shocked at the appearance of my sandwich. It didn't look like any other Reuben I had ever had. There were THREE slices of corned beef on the sandwich! Now that wouldn't have bothered me, except that the pieces were the size and width of slices of bacon. My daughter even said, "did you get a bacon sandwich?" What little corned beef, was hard with a large edge of fat. I would say there was a sprinkling of sauerkraut and although I couldn't see any cheese, there was a tiny bit there. Frankly I was dumbfounded, that anyone would think this was a Reuben! I would have been embarrassed to serve something like this. My daughter had chicken fingers, four good size, and French fries, practically a whole plate full. She enjoyed the chicken fingers, which appeared to be frozen. The waitress never came back to ask how everything was, which was probably a good thing, because I hate to complain. I know it's not the waitresses fault. After she noticed we were done eating, she took our plates and then proceeded to bring us the check, didn't ask if we wanted dessert or anything else. We grew up going to this restaurant, it used to be the Train Stop. When it first opened as the Flat Penny it was so good. Shame it has gone downhill. I am afraid this will be my last visit here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MA
“Some good and some okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The place is very clean and comfortable. The seafood is excellent, very fresh...good fish and chips. The other food is up and down but we stick to the basics and we keep coming back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nice interior. All wood decor making it a little noisy.
Friendly service, good food served hot.
Handicap accessible.

Visited October 2012
“Donno 'bout the Drinks, but Skip the Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recently I decided to give this bar & grill a try. I went there with a good friend, and we were rather surprised at the prices, but decided to give it a try. He order the beef tips with a side of butternut squash. I ordered a plain hamburger (most of them were $12.95!) with mayo, tomato, and lettuce. Also ordered a side of butternut squash, 2 small ($1 salads - which were nowhere on the menu), and an order of hot wings.

Well.

His tips were burnt on the outside, and rarish on the inside (I guess that's how he likes them, since he didn't complain).

The $1 salads were huge and fairly appealing.
But that's where it all went south.

The wait for our food was waaaay too long.
I got my salads first
Then we got the wings (just so-so).
My hamburger came first (I asked for medium well), and there was BLOOD all over my plate and oozing through the cheese!)

Disgusted, I sent it back, and 10 minutes later it was BURNED.
Should have figured that would happen.
Worst of all, the other waitress (only two that I could see in the whole place) gave me an evil scowl when I sent the burger back.

Then she came back to inform us that we couldn't get butternut squash. Only broccoli.

I told her to forget it. I would live without mine.
My friend, however, ordered the broccoli. He was completely done with his meal, and finally the broccoli showed up. He didn't eat it, but paid for it anyway.

Our waitress was good about it, and they decided to knock off the price of the burger.

Big deal. I don't expect free food if they get it to me in a decent amount of time, or correct any mistakes.

But this place? No way will I ever be back.

Customers were scarce, except for those bellied up to the bar. So stay away if you want a decent meal, at a decent price, with decent service (and expect to get what you ordered).

I got the impression that they basically want to run a bar, and not a grill. So be it!

• Visited October 2012