“Very disappointing dinner experience” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Boston
“Very disappointing dinner experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Friends invited us to join them at this restaurant. We recalled having a mediocre meal there in the past, but did not suggest a different restaurant - wish we had. The restaurant was extremely busy, which the staff repeatedly said surprised them, even though it was Saturday night. It took a long time for the waiter to take our wine order, and them he brought the wrong wine. Again, it was a long wait to order, and almost 2 hours from the time we sat down until the meal was served. Again the waiter brought an incorrect order. The salmon was flavorless, half- chicken tasty, my wife's black pepper linguini with seafood dry and flavorless- no broth or sauce of any kind and the calamari was dry and rubbery. . She's not one to complain, so when one of the waitstaff asked her how it was, I was startled to hear her say "terrible" . The waiter did offer to bring us a dessert at no charge, which we declined, just wanting to leave by then. He told us it was not his fault that the meal took so long, and when he brought the check, he reminded us that he was not the cook. Wow- how unprofessional. We will not be going back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Waltham, Massachusetts
“Great Neighborhood Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Savino's Grill in Belmont is a great neighborhood restaurant. I have been there numerous times and always look forward to returning. Most recently, out with the girls, I had fantastic trout. One of the girls asked about the bolognese which was no longer on the menu and the chef accommodated her. The tilapia and veal also looked very good. The four of us shared a salad and cured meat antipasto and the flan desert.
Previously I have had the pork chop, also wonderful. The menu changes, so there is always something new to try. Service is not rushed but there is plenty of waitstaff bringing extra bread with a delicious hummus like dip and refilling your water. There was very nice live music, a singer and instrumentalist the night we were there.

Visited April 2013
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Unexpected in Belmont”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

It is an unassuming place. The decor is understated but the staff and food are excellent. I have been here a few times sitting at the bar and in the restaurant and I have not been disappointed!!!

Visited December 2012
Newton, Ma
“Decent neighborhood grill, but far from exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We chose to go to Savino's grill because we received a Restaurant.com gift certificate, and the writeup in the listing on the Restaurant.com website made it sound like a good choice. The restaurant was well-appointed, with a moderate noise level, and nicely designed, with a classy bar in the center of the room and the kitchen at the back with wide open windows.
We were prepared to have a nice dinner. The menu was quite varied, and the combination of ingredients made most of the dishes sound quite appealing. Our waiter approached our table after we had been seated for about five minutes. He asked if we would be interested in ordering drinks. I responded that my wife wanted a plum-pomegranate martini and I wanted a glass of Riesling. The waiter, in a rather patronizing tone, said "are you aware that Riesling is rather syrupy and sweet, compared to other wines on our wine list?" I responded that. yes, I did know. It was a rather uncomfortable moment.
We then ordered and were served a shared appetizer of Pan Sauteed Calamari and Chorizo (well, 4 slivers of chorizo) over harissa orzo with scallions, capers, and herbs drizzled with chive oil. Though a bit pricey for the size of the portion, the appetizer was served hot and was absolutely DELICIOUS.
Our entrees were not quite as good, however. My wife had the Roast Half Chicken over truffle garlic mashed potato with asparagus, artichoke hearts, and fried cauliflower, finished with an herbed glaze. While the vegetable accompaniments were nicely prepared and quite flavorful, the roast chicken was rather dry and the skin lacked the crispiness that would have made it more tasty.
My entree of Pork Rib Chop with sweet potato, maple thyme puree, braised red cabbage with caraway seeds, and spiced pear finished with a port wine syrup left a bit to be desired. For the relatively high cost of the entree, I would have expected a double-cut chop, while what I was served was a single-cut. Perhaps the thinness of the chop was the reason that the "medium" doneness that I ordered ended up being well-done and, as a result, quite dry, which also diminished the tastiness of the meat. The sweet potato puree was at room-temperature. The spiced pear was the best part of the dish.
All in all, our meals were "okay", but we won't be coming back anytime soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“First visit - terrific!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

A first time for us -- to be repeated! Warm, inviting atmosphere, very pleasant, quiet decor with interestingly designed seating arrangements permitting very private small group (1-4) tables. Soft music, good mostly indirect lighting. Our waiter was very attentive, picked up on our preferences early and showed initiative in recognizing them later in the meal. The menu selection was terrific, and sides were chosen -- I'm guessing -- partly on the basis of permitting a colorful presentation. And everything, from a mussels appetizer through pork and filet entrees to dessert, was delicious. I highly recommend Savino's!

• Visited December 2012