“Great food for over 25 years, great subs and seafood.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 46 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Fast Food, Sandwiches, Diner, Soups
“Great food for over 25 years, great subs and seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I was in kindergarten when Jack and family opened the House of Beef. It is with great pleasure that I review one of my personal favorite places. I started with a junior roast beef with there tangy bbq sauce and a slice of cheese. Have traveled the world over and have yet to find a better roast beef sandwich.

Now of course I go for a bigger sandwich or even the sub and will add horseradish sauce and some other niceties. My other favorites are the salads usually greek salad with grilled chicken or steak (sometimes the chef). They include a nice piece of pita with the salad which can then be made into a great sandwich. I enjoy all the subs especially turkey and occasionally steak and cheese. When the need arises they also do great fried seafood. A deceased friend from cape cod swore by their fried clams.

In any event, I will eat there for the food as the interior is nothing to look at and is usually full of people at lunch. I will grab food to go for road trips, red sox games, or to just go have a picnic at on of the fields in Bedford on a nice day.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding option that many will miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is a local sandwich shop that often gets overlooked by people who head to some of the larger chains in the area. That's a mistake, since I have never had a bad meal here in ten years of so of visits. This is a small family run business, and the food is always outstanding.

Visited December 2011
Savannah GA
“Good, unpretentious food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stopped by around 2pm today. I was expecting a place with, ah...more substance. Inside, there's a few tables, a large counter and an overhead menu. Place your order at the counter (be sure to pick your soda from the large cooler) and a few minutes later, when it's ready..you pay for it. I decided to "eat in". There were just two employees working and even on this fall Sunday afternoon, there was a steady take out business. Of the 5 or 6 tables, 2 were dirty...I just wiped one off myself. My Large Roast Beef sandwich was done quickly...a little too quickly. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't piping hot either. Still, it was very good. I had it with mayo, bbq sauce and cheese and a side of fries. The beef was cooked perfectly (meat for sandwiches is reheated on a flat grill). The fries were standard shoestring fries with salt. I thought it was a bit expensive for what I had: 1 large roast beef sandwich, small fries (enough for two folks!) and a canned soda was about 9 bucks. I recommend this joint over just about any chain restaurant.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best Beef and Fries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Roast Beef and Fries--the very best around! The danger is in overeating. Service ok, no atmosphere to speak of, but for take out, this place is outstanding. I've had the Rbeef and fries on dozens of occasions. Only varied once with a hamburger--just ok.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I had the roast beef sandwich and french fries and loved it. The roast beef was nice and rare. The french fries are my favorite kind, skinny, like you would get at a fast food joint. They give you plenty of choices for sauces. Wish the atmosphere was better and they had a soda fountain. They just have a cooler of drinks.

• Visited July 2011