“place to be avoided” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bedford
Basel, Switzerland
“place to be avoided”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We booked this hotel trough travelocity because there were good quotes and the price was reasonable for the Boston area. However our experience was less good and my wife spoke to the manager who promised that the things will change. Lets mention the positive aspects first.

The motel is quiet no noise from the street.

On the second day the sheets were changed.

Now to our criticisms

The place is run down. The window goes to the back of the building is the garbage dump of the motel and the neighbouring restaurant.

The shower was dirty and had mould. The entire bathroom needs to be redone. The room is smelly however we were able to sleep with open windows and it was not too hot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Central Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have traveled in and around Boston a good bit in the last couple years and the Bedford Motel is at a price point that I could afford. Though I had limited expectations of the motel because of the price, my opinion quickly changed once I was checked in. Not only was the staff exceedingly friendly and helpful, but the room was perfectly comfortable and the area was quiet.

GIven a choice between small independently owned motels like this and the franchise options, I'll take the Bedford Motel and places like it every time. It is one more opportunity to "just say no" to corporate greed and the sterility of their offerings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hartford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Very friendly staff, good location with fairly easy access to Boston. Nothing fancy, but fine for a night. There was a series of pastries and coffee for breakfast that came included in the room. Fairly easy to find even at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have been traveling to Boston for years. I have family there and I love to visit the city. I am a budget traveler that now has young children in Tow. I have always had to stay in these outrageously priced hotel\motels until I found this gem in the rough. Bedford is a beautiful town that has the New England flavor. Very non commercial with just the right sprinkle of convenience. The people who run this motel are gracious and kind. I felt comfortable to have my children there and loved the convenience that my car was outside the door. I felt safe when I went a second time by myself with just one child.(Funeral) The Whole Foods supermarket is nearby and has a sumptuous buffet breakfast that opens at 8 AM. There is also a lovely Italian American restaurant that has a great lunch menu. When I wanted to nip into Boston it was simple and direct. No GPS needed. Everything in the room was clean and the carpet smelled good.(I have allergies and can detect dust) Would I have a Honeymoon there? No. But I could hang out there for a week on holiday. My cousin had a great deal on a 4 star hotel at a competitive rate. I turned her down. Why would I want to go to a monster Hotel where you are an anonymous cog in a wheel. I would rather make a friendship with a caring staff that honestly wants to make your stay truly homely.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dover, VT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you focus on the price and the bed, this is a good place. The manager waits up for the last guest to check in. This room needed caulking, shower leaked. It is definitely in need of maintenance, not cleaning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bel Air, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights to travel to Salem. The place could definately use an update overhaul, but the room was clean & the bed was one of the most comfortable I ever slept in at ANY hotel or motel. The area was quiet & peaceful and it was one of the more reasonable priced places. We would stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I got there about 2am stayed one night, I'm not very picky on hotels, because we usually check in late check out early, but this one really got to me, the sink and the shower were really dirty, I didn't want to land my foot on the shower without flip flop. there were bugs all over the towel

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Bedford Motel? Share your experiences!