“The most disgusting stay ever” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Hagerstown-Williamsport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 East Potomac Street, Williamsport, MD 21795   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Williamsport
Altanta Metro
“The most disgusting stay ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

My parents are Red Roof loyal and so on a recent trip from Atlanta to upstate NY to see them, they sent me pages from a Red Roof directory. I wanted someplace clean, at a reasonable price and that would be pet friendly. I chose this location because the ad said the rooms were recently remodeled, that there was wireless internet and that there was an outlet mall close by.

Once I checked in to my room I would have immediately checked back out had it not been for the fact that severe storms had moved in. I will let the photos I am attaching tell you the condition of the hotel. The room was FILTHY. Please not that these photos have not been altered other than to crop/resize them so they could be emailed.

Last week I contacted Red Roof corporate and asked for an email address that I could send the photos to. It was apparently sent to the manager of the location where I stayed. He offered no refund, no nothing other than " I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations".

I slept in my clothes, on a towel I brought from home and left an expensive pillow behind when I checked out because I was afraid of what might have crawled in it. The ONLY good thing I can say about this Red Roof location is that the wireless internet does work.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Don't go by the web site for this hotel! The Wi FI was down the 3 days we were there. The desk kept saying it was a Verizon problem yet my Blackberry emails were coming through just fine on Verizon. I was told I could go to the Public Library to use my lap top. The web site says there are Microwaves and refrigerators in each room. Not true. My room did not have either. My parents room had both. It seems only queen rooms have those items - the web site doesn't mention this. The continental breakfast is non existent. The first morning there were 2 stale donuts, watered down orange juice and NO COFFEE. The desk said their coffee machine was broken. The second morning they had coffee and nothing else exept a sign saying "Sorry, No Donuts today". We were told we could to across the street to McDonalds but no offer of compensation. Where were the bagels or English muffins? Stale donuts are their idea of a continental breakfast and only on some days! The web site mentioned that the rooms had been redone with granite - that was true but there are NO HAIR DRYERS. Why would any owner go to the expense of installing granite but no hair dryers?? They keep a few hair dyers at the front desk but did not have any left when I asked for one. There are other options in the area and next time I will explore them. This was the second stay in 6 months and each time it gets worse. This was the last stay for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Williamsport hotels

baltimore usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed at this motel while on a bicycle trip.The lady at the desk was rather brusque on the phone. but was allright when i talked to her in person.

The room was spartan but clean and comfortable.And i personally didnt see any "shady" charachters hanging about.

the good thing about this motel is that it is right by the only two places to eat in Williamsport. The bad thing is that the only two places to eat are a Wafflehouse and a Mcdonalds.Im no food snob .But you would think that there would be at least one diner in town.

I think that nearby Hagerstown has sucked the life out of Williamsport.I have never seen a deader town. But if you are pasing through and you need a cheap place to stay then this will suffice.

The visitor center by the C&O Canal is great though!

It should be mentioned to bicyclists that are traveling down/up the C&O Canal that the motel is a mile off the canal and it is pretty much uphill.

As i said, its a no-frills ,but clean and comfortable place to sleep for the night if you are passing through the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel with a cycling group. I had read the previous reviews on TripAdvisor, so out expectations were very low. However, our stay here was pleasant and trouble-free. Ask for a second floor room close to the lobby.

The hotel is located up the hill from the town, near the interstate, I-81 There is not much in the town. We ate lunch at the Desert Rose Cafe, which had good food and excellent service.

The rooms are typical of a Red Roof Inn. We had room close to the lobby that you could not drive a car up to. The room was clean and roomy. Wi-fi is available, but there is a charge. Our only issue was the noise from the room above. The person upstairs was constantly walking around and the floor creaking loudly. They were early risers also, which was not welcome.

There is a Waffle House restaurant right next door, which is where we had breakfast. I believe the hotel had coffee and doughnuts in the lobby in the morning. There is also a few shops across the street - hardware, liquor, Chinese, plus a convenience type store in the gas station next door.

The receptionist was quite friendly and accommodating to our party (she was not the infamous "Dot"). We were allowed to have a buffet dinner in the lobby, including musical entertainment. This may not have pleased other guests who were checking in at the time, but we were 40 guests.

The hotel would be typical of an overnight stay with no frills.

• Stayed October 2009
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

This hotel has to be the worst I've stayed in in many years. The woman at the front desk was downright rude and abrasive and any question you asked she would snap back at you and treat you like you were doing something wrong. I was put around the back in a room that looked like it had been half emptied out. King sized headboard attached to the wall with a queen sized bed and a huge empty space. The room was dirty and missing items like towels! The side of the mattress was so dirty I could barely get myself to get into bed that night. The back of this hotel is very loud and rowdy and downright creepy with people hanging out and calling back and forth as you're checking in. The laundry room has no lights so do your laundry in the daytime or you're out of luck. Their breakfast consisted of donuts and juices or hot drinks. My sister had gotten a room with a refrigerator in it - when I asked for a room with the same I was told not every room has them and to forget it - that's literally what I was told! I would never stay here again even though it is dirt cheap - you get what you pay for I guess but they need to do something about the woman at the front desk. It advertises internet but you have to pay for it through T-mobile for 5.99 per day. No hairdryer in the room which I thought was standard fare nowadays. No coffee maker either so if want coffee earlier than 6 you have to trek to the waffle house which is out front. This is a construction crew hotel - does not feel safe so beware if you're traveling alone or with children.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We were traveling through to take our daughter to college. Williamsport was our 1/2 point. My husband, daughter and I "took a chance" and it was poor at best. The woman working at the dest that evening was rude and not very pleasant. "Dottie" gave us a room, for more than quoted by AAA , did not want to give us more than one very small bath towel per person and told us that the complimentary breakfast was "hot and cold beverages and donuts". When we drove around back to park there were several rooms on the second floor with people "hanging" out watching everyone check in. This was very creepy to my family. Room was very small. Dottie needs "a little Jesus". A smile won't hurt!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I hiked in to this place off the C&O Canal Towpath on April 4 towards the end of a 275-mile backpacking journey of the Cumberland Valley. My good friend had already spoken to an employee there by the name of Dot or Dottie in order to reserve a room for me and to give them her credit card number for payment. She wanted to do this as a gift in recognition for accomplishing this long hike.

When I got there, the motel refused to check me in until I had given them my own credit card. I objected to this because my friend had been so clear to them about arranging payment through her. Still, I was exhausted and needed a place to stay and get cleaned up. I gave them my card with the understanding that it was simply collateral and that the desk clerk the next morning would run my friend's number.

Unfortunately, the desk clerk the next morning informed me that they "did not have" my friend's number and could not run it. I asked to speak to this "Dot" person my friend had talked to over the phone and the clerk said "no one by that name works here". I was prepared to leave to take care of this problem later, but, as I was walking out the door, I asked the clerk for her name--she said, "Dot"!!! I said, "Oh, so you were the one my friend talked to--why did you just now say you didn't know anyone who worked here by that name??"

A few days later, my friend called the manager (some dude) to try to reverse the charges on my card and to rebill her card instead. Sure enough, this motel was more than happy to bill my friend's card--but not to reverse the charges on mine. After waiting a week, I filed a dispute with my credit card company and was satisfied to receive compensation... Until today, when I learned that my card had been "rebilled". The bottom line: the motel "double-dipped"--charging both my friend and me for the night I stayed there.

Obviously, my situation was somewhat unusual--but allow me to warn you that the MANAGEMENT SUCKS in resolving problems fairly.

As a sidenote, I needed to do my laundry at this motel, but I had no change for the machine... When I asked if the desk could give me some coins and add the charge to my room, they refused. I had to go to the nearby gas station and be billed a $5.00 "convenience fee" for the attendant to run my debit card to obtain $2.00 in quarters...

THIS PLACE IS A SCAM.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to Red Roof Inn Hagerstown-Williamsport? Share your experiences!