“Skip it! Terrible room.” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Hagerstown-Williamsport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 East Potomac Street, Williamsport, MD 21795   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Williamsport
New York, NY
“Skip it! Terrible room.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I thought this would be a convenient one night stay while on the road between NC and NY. I selected Red Roof Inn because of it's pet friendly policy. What a mistake!

Though the front desk receptionist was very pleasant, the room was terrible! The bad smell was immediately apparent as I opened the door. Then I saw the bed (2 double beds). The box spring was torn and exposed, because, for some reason, the quilt had been turned down (see pic). Adding even more to this bad experience, I pulled out the desk chair to use my laptop and saw that the seat was ripped (see pic)

Was this damage and poor maintenance a result of their pet policy? Is this what I could expect at Red Roof Inns just because I travel with my very well behaved dog?

I recommend that you keep driving right past this motel and find a clean, well-kept room elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stopped here on my way north on the C&O canal. It was definitely a hike to get there from the trail, but the roads were not overly busy. The staff was moderately friendly but everything else about the stay was great. For a nice clean room, I would recommend this.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
greensburg, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading prior reviews and believe me when I say that I should have stayed elsewhere. The only reason I did stay here was for a family wedding and it was the closest lodging to the event.
I pulled into the parking lot and wasn't too impressed...the place looked depressing. Check in was pretty painless...the lady who checked me in was pleasant enough. My room was around the side of the building and the room was next to a laundry area (not sure what was in that "cavern" of a room). The room was small and cramped and before I even touched anything I used sanitizer wipes on all surfaces. The bathroom was a decent size, and I found one hair on the bathroom floor, again I sanitized the entire bathroom before even thinking of using it.
I then went out for my luggage and there were these "wierd" people in the parking lot, evidently using a pressure washer...the women looked more interested in what I was doing instead of working. I grabbed my stuff and hurried to my room, locking the door...they eventually did leave. .
I took a shower to get ready for the wedding and this was the only impressive part of the entire room...the shower/bathtub was spacious!!
Upon coming back from the wedding, there were some other scary looking people in the parking lot...I hurried to my room and decided to go to bed. I turned on the AC for the first time and it was quite noisy and in fact kept me awake most of the night. I didn't turn down the bed and brought a set of old bed sheets from home to use and I.brought an old pillow which I used and then disposed of upon arriving home. I got into bed and let me say this was the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in on any motel stay in my entire life...it was the softest, lumpiest mattress I've ever slept on... I couldn't find one spot in which to get comfortable all night. Then around 12am when I finally nodded off, the people in the room above me began to walk around and I could hear every creak and groan of the floor!! I realize it is an older motel, but come on, sound proof the room a little better!!
So after an almost sleepless night, I packed up and left at 6am...check out was also painless and I saw the doughnut boxes and coffee, but I was afraid to eat anything for fear they were old.
My parents warned me about Red Roof Inn's and I didn't heed their advise, but I'll never, ever stay at one again!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Williamsport hotels

NE Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

After searching both this area as well as Fredrick, MD, for a place to stay with our 2 children and dog on the way to the OBX from NE Ohio, we determined that the Red Roof Williamsburg-Hagerstown was our only option. I'm an admitted Hampton Inn girl, so I was skeptical, but unless I wanted to drive straight through to NC (a 12+ hr. drive), I had to suck it up.

Pros -- decent room. I read another review about lack of cleanliness. I didn't have that problem at all. Shower worked fine, good water pressure, okay beds. We were just coming off a mini-vacation at a cabin, and I think I slept better at the RR than I did in the cushy beds at our cabin. The Wifi was free and worked fine.

Cons -- "breakfast". It was donuts and a juice machine. Crappy coffee. There are no restaurants really nearby except McD's across a busy street and Waffle House in the same parking lot. We asked if there was a chinese place close and ordered from there. It was apparently right across the street in a plaza. It came quickly and was delicious.

Really, who can complain? You get what you pay for. Was it the Ritz? No? Was it adequate for $60 a night and pet friendly? Yes.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I don't understand the huge complaints I see here. This is a comfortable enough place to get a good night's sleep, especially when riding the C&O Canal. My wife and I stayed there while riding in October 2008 and I returned in October of 2009. It's not far from the towpath and it seems friendly enough.

I would only fault it for there not being many restaurant options nearby. I have a dislike for chains, such as the nearby Waffle House, and the Chinese restaurant across the way was disappointing. Howevetr, when we return in Autumn of 2011 and again stay at Red Roof Inn, I plan to check out the "Deli-Licious" Deli that is next to the Chinese place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Altanta Metro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

My parents are Red Roof loyal and so on a recent trip from Atlanta to upstate NY to see them, they sent me pages from a Red Roof directory. I wanted someplace clean, at a reasonable price and that would be pet friendly. I chose this location because the ad said the rooms were recently remodeled, that there was wireless internet and that there was an outlet mall close by.

Once I checked in to my room I would have immediately checked back out had it not been for the fact that severe storms had moved in. I will let the photos I am attaching tell you the condition of the hotel. The room was FILTHY. Please not that these photos have not been altered other than to crop/resize them so they could be emailed.

Last week I contacted Red Roof corporate and asked for an email address that I could send the photos to. It was apparently sent to the manager of the location where I stayed. He offered no refund, no nothing other than " I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations".

I slept in my clothes, on a towel I brought from home and left an expensive pillow behind when I checked out because I was afraid of what might have crawled in it. The ONLY good thing I can say about this Red Roof location is that the wireless internet does work.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Don't go by the web site for this hotel! The Wi FI was down the 3 days we were there. The desk kept saying it was a Verizon problem yet my Blackberry emails were coming through just fine on Verizon. I was told I could go to the Public Library to use my lap top. The web site says there are Microwaves and refrigerators in each room. Not true. My room did not have either. My parents room had both. It seems only queen rooms have those items - the web site doesn't mention this. The continental breakfast is non existent. The first morning there were 2 stale donuts, watered down orange juice and NO COFFEE. The desk said their coffee machine was broken. The second morning they had coffee and nothing else exept a sign saying "Sorry, No Donuts today". We were told we could to across the street to McDonalds but no offer of compensation. Where were the bagels or English muffins? Stale donuts are their idea of a continental breakfast and only on some days! The web site mentioned that the rooms had been redone with granite - that was true but there are NO HAIR DRYERS. Why would any owner go to the expense of installing granite but no hair dryers?? They keep a few hair dyers at the front desk but did not have any left when I asked for one. There are other options in the area and next time I will explore them. This was the second stay in 6 months and each time it gets worse. This was the last stay for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Red Roof Inn Hagerstown-Williamsport? Share your experiences!