“Newcomers made very welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 123 Restaurants in Waldorf
Cuisines: Mongolian
Waldorf, Maryland, USA
“Newcomers made very welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is pretty cool. Not what I expected, but much more. They have a full bar for starters, didn't expect that. The server is really only a guide if you haven't been there before and the one who brings you your drink and cooked food. You start buy picking your protein, then your seasoning, then your veggies, then your sauce, then your starch. All are optional. You can go 50 times and get something different each time. Pretty cool concept. Like a mongolian grill but the biggest I've ever seen

I was looking around and the manager noticed. I was just taking in the new sights. He made sure we were taken care of and came by the table a couple times. Not too much where it got annoying but enough to make us appreciate it.

Would go back. Might go today

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Waldorf
“Great place to eat everyday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Like, The cost is outstanding and the food is excellent, all the workers are customer friendly, we eat there every weekend since it has open.

Visited March 2013
Waldorf, Maryland
“Great choice for something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Our first experience at this establishment was great. The place was packed and everyone seemed to be upbeat.The server (I forgot his name) was friendly and explained the way you go about making the meal. He brought us our food and checked on us just the right amount of times.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Fun concept, really good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is quite the conversation-starter! As a Waldorfian (or Waldorftonian?), I'm always excited to see new lunch spots open up. We tried this place on a whim and were very pleasantly surprised!

After being seated, a server brings you a bowl -- and then it's up to you to create your perfect meal. I loved the many options for meats, vegetables and seasonings, and I appreciated that someone like me -- on a diet! -- could easily customize her meal to her exact specifications. Once you're finished building your perfect bowl, you take it over to the grill and receive an order number. The meal is brought to you quickly for one flat fee -- or pay for "unlimited" bowls and visit the bowl bar as many times as you like.

My sister and fiance were both really impressed with their food -- and I loved my seafood creation! Our server was very nice and friendly, and I appreciated the time she spent with us to explain everything on our first visit. Definitely will be back!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food for the price, when its done right. Service could be a lot better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this place. I have been looking for a joint like this and to have one in Waldorf is great and I was very happy to see it open here. The food quality and selection is very good and it is well worth it to go for the unlimited option.

The staff however, although friendly, really needs some more training. I have visited three times now and it is the same everytime. The hosts that greet you act like they are uninterested and doing you a big favor to seat you. Twice being more entertained by their cell phones than working with guests. Once seated it can take forever for a server to "take your order". Really it is just them bringing you a bowl to go to the food bar but as one or two servers work their butts off five or six chat with eachother or horseplay by the emergency exit. So you sit waiting for them to just make first contact with you. When you do the unlimited option sometimes finding your server again can be hard and you wait and wait hoping for your second clean dish to get more. I prefer to take small amounts two or three times rather than lump everything on one plate. Waiting for anybody to help you out just gets annoying here. My last visit there were four tables around me all saying the same thing. I figure if I pay for unlimited I should be able to get two or three trips out of it in a timely manner. But be prepaired, ask for a third trip and you will be looked at as if you have three heads and are speaking jibberish.

I fetl very akward asking for a third dish from the reaction I got but once I did a lot of other guests did the same. I suppose they were waiting for me to break the ice. Either that or they didn't know where their server went too. I just gave up and asked somebody randomly.

The chefs that operate the grill are fun and professional. Be aware, the time that I wanted the third bowl was because my second one wan burned. Not just a little burned, a lot burned, like black char on everything. I ate most of it while waiting to ask my server for another dish but never really had the chance to explain and gave up on any of the servers really giving a hoot.

So to sum it up. Awesome idea and totally hit or miss at this place as far as service goes. They have a ton of staff but most don't really do anything. If this were my place I would cut the dead weight and focus on training my good employees to be awesome and getting rid of the ones who would rather be hanging out with friends or playing on their phones. Oh, and I would tell them not to serve things if they look like they were dropped in charcoal. Just tell the guest it was burned and please try again.

This place has a good thing going for it but could easily fail because of simple things like service and making the guest feel welcome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere