“OK--clean and cheap but really not up to Crowne Plaza Standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of North Baltimore Plaza Hotel

You added North Baltimore Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
North Baltimore Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2004 Greenspring Dr, Timonium, MD 21093-4114 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel - Baltimore North)   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Timonium
DarienJim
“OK--clean and cheap but really not up to Crowne Plaza Standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I stayed there for a weekend in January 2009 with my teenage son to attend a lacrosse camp. The rooms are decent size, and we had two adjoining rooms facing into the interior. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms look like they were updated in last decade. The rooms were noisy and not well insulated from hallway noise, and there was a mini convention of some sort in the interior courtyard, so we could here that noise too. The gym is good but not great, but has lot's of aerobic machines so there is no waiting. We had breakfast in the restaurant, but it is really not that good--go offsite. TVs need to be updated. I would have rated the hotel lower except the rooms were cheap at $90/night. Not sure what else was available in the area as this was recommended to us.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Canonsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Christmas. The staff was very friendly. They made certain that the heat was on in our room so we'd arrive to a warm bed. The room was clean and quiet. The hotel offered free meals on Christmas day which was great for travelers. Free WiFi in the room is nice for taking care of business. The hotel is located right off I-83 so it's convenient to the city, Hunt Valley, mall, restaurants, and shopping. We got a great deal on Priceline for $65/night. Try to name your own price.

• Liked — The comfortable room and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — They could use a Mr. Clean sponge in the bath tub.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night because it was close to where I needed to be. Yes, I guess it is good for hotels in the area, though the next time I am just going to stay at the Residence Inn in Hunt Valley. The Crowne lacks special amenities such as a fridge in the room. Front desk staff was friendly and the room was clean, but it just wasn’t up to Crowne standards. This hotel should be a regular Holiday Inn. True, they leave lavender linen spray, ear plugs, and a relaxing CD (although all they did on the CD was talk) on your bed, but that doesn’t make up for the ordinariness of this hotel. It is ideally situated, right off of I-83 and in walking distance to a metro stop. But, if I am going to pay more than $100 a night in this area on the weekend, I am going to stay elsewhere next time.

• Liked — Its location
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clarksburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza November 8, 2008 in order to attend a conference at the Days Inn down the street. We had stayed at the Days Inn on two previous occassions, but they were undergoing a major renovation this year, and we hadn't been too pleased with the accommodations the last time we stayed there, so we looked for someplace new this year.

The Crowne Plaza is located off the beaten path in Timonium, near a lot of business supply shops, along a road lined with parked trucks, and backs up to I83. It is a little over a mile to the Days Inn. It was a former Holiday Inn, but has recently undergone a major renovation. Because of my wife's knee and back problems, we reserved a handicapped room.

Check in/Check out was quick and easy. Baggage carts are available if you need them, and they claim to have a bell staff, but I never saw anyone perform this function. Mostly I saw guests pulling their own luggage carts. There is plenty of parking, but handicapped parking was lacking at the closest door to our room, but several spots are available in the front and another side door.

The hotel looked like new inside due to the recent renovation, and had a very spacious atrium, which hosted several events during our stay. Our room was new-looking, clean and spacious and had an accessible bathroom with a walk-in/roll-in shower. It was an "inside" room, with no outside window. Instead, the "window" looked out into the atrium, so we kept the curtains closed during our stay. The room was equipped with an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, multifunction clock, desk and desk chair and a smaller sized TV. Wireless internet was available, but we didn't bring our computers to test it. There were plenty of towels and pillows. The rack to hang clothes was very low (for wheelchair access), and longer clothing would hang on the floor if hung up. They didn't include a "normal" height hanging bar in the room.

The heating/AC unit was a bit noisy when in use, and you could hear any noise in the hallway clearly. Luckily, the hotel was fairly quiet when we stayed, and doesn't seem to attract a noisy crowd.

Dinner at the new hotel restaurant, Northern Lights, looked a bit pricey, so we went elsewhere. Breakfast was reasonable though, so we ate in the next morning. The food and service were good and the seating comfortable (mostly big booths). The restaurant/bar is on the small side, so there may be a wait if a crowd shows up. The place was nearly empty when we went, though.

All in all, it was a good stay. The rooms are on the pricey side, but the accomodations beat anything else in Timonium. So if you HAVE to stay in Timonium, stay here unless you are on a tight budget.

• Liked — Clean, new looking rooms, good accessible rooms
  • Disliked — could get noisy, no outside window for this room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

I was a bit sceptical of booking at this property based on other reviews, but did anyway due to Priorty Club points.

I'm really not sure what other posters complained about; rooms are immaculate as far as being clean, as are common areas including the restaurant. My room backs onto I-83, and highway noise in almost non-existant. I had a room on the fif'th (quiet floor) and have not heard a peep!

Very convienent to the highway, and while not spectacular, my dinner in the restaurant was fine. Check in was quick, and other than a small'ish television, there is nothing to complain about.

• Liked — Location and clean room
  • Disliked — Small TV
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

I recently stayed at this Crowne Plaza for two nights. The hotel is ok, but not as nice as I would expect for a Crowne Plaza. My main complaint at this hotel was its proximity to the Interstate. While the location is convenient it is also *very* noisy. If your room is at the back of the hotel you will definitely hear the cars all night. Ask for a room that does not face the Interstate.

• Liked — The front desk staff was friendly
  • Disliked — Noisy Rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

As a frequent traveler I often choose the Crowne Plaza when I have the option. I was a little put off by some of the things that happened at this particular location and I later learned it hasn't always been a Crowne Plaza so maybe that was the problem? I made a list of things that went wrong while I was a guest there..
1-The check in line was LONG and there was only 1 associate working which meant we had to stand there forever..just when it was our turn a guy walks up looking disinterested and quietly mumbles "Can I help you?"
2-There was no ironing board or radio/clock/cd player in our room. Someone did (begrudgingly it seemed) track down an ironing board for us.
3-There was something on the sheets-blood? gravy? ketchup? I have no idea but when i called housekeeping to have the sheets changed no one answered so I called the front desk, the young man handed me the sheets and I was required to change them and remake the bed myself. He also advised me no one knew where Housekeeping was and they had been MIA for 2 1/2 hours.
4-Underneath the bed I found an open bag of potato chips with chips scattered under the bed
5-Huge stains on the pillowcases.
6-We had to request towels & washcloths 3 times before they were brought up.
On the plus side we did get complimentary welcome drinks as well as breakfast coupons for the dining area downstairs. The location is good in terms of highway access etc but in the future I might try somewhere else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to North Baltimore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!