“More like a motel from the past” 3 of 5 stars

Harrison's Chesapeake House
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   21551 Chesapeake House Drive, Tilghman, MD 21671   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Tilghman B&B and Inns
Dublin3
“More like a motel from the past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

While having dinner at the outdoor crab shack at Harrison's I read the history of the establishment on the back of the menu. It certainly has a great history, but it's also like visiting a place from the past. When checking in you'll find everything is done on paper, with your charges totaled up on a calculator!
The rooms are all accessed from the outside (no internal hallways). We had requested a water view, and the room was quite small and not that clean. Besides the flies that were attracted to the outside lights, and made their way in to the room as soon as the door opened, the other drawback of a water view was the early morning departures of the fishing parties...not great if you like to sleep late.
Food at Harrison's was fine, nothing special, and the staff were very friendly. Overall, there aren't that many places to stay on Tilghman Island, and Harrison's is probably the biggest, so unless you want to rent a house, this is probably the best value. Just be prepared.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was travelling with a large group so we reserved a block of rooms with "water view". First impression driving up was, "huh, kind of reminds me of places in the Catskills" or for those not familiar, Dirty Dancing movie. There is no indication of where to check in so I wandered around and found my friends who told me it was the unmarked door near the sign. Check in was courteous and polite as was checkout.

The room had a distinctly musty odor and was sparsely furnished. Bathroom was clean and looked like someone just recently remodeled. The rest of the room could have used the same attention. There was no closet only a shelf and rod with one lonely hangar. Beds were firm and mattresses clean and looked relatively new. Linens also very clean. Be forewarned that waterfront means more a view of the pool with the marina in the distance. Also, if you have allergies - pets are allowed and the dampness is pervasive. Even with the air conditioning running throughout the night, the humidity in the room was quite high. I found decongestants, antihistamines AND my inhaler to be quite useful.

The Deck bar should be a really great place to drink and be entertained. The view is lovely, lots of boats and nice scenery to take in. The staff, unfortunately, need a serious attitude adjustment. I understand large groups are a pain asking for separate checks and having lots of special needs. However, I've never been to a place that I would think needs tourist dollars where the tourists felt like they were intruding and not wanted! To her credit, the bartender, Denise, was quite pleasant and served tasty drinks that weren't watered down. The serving staff didn't want to split up checks so we did several combinations of 2 people on a check so some could use credit cards and others cash. When I tried to split my check and charge $12 I was told there was a minimum of $15 to use a credit card. Apparently no one ever informed waitstaff that you can't do this anymore per Visa/MC rules. So I gave her a $20 and told her to break it down for me. My roommate also put cash in with the same request. We got back $5 on coins which meant she applied ALL of our cash to the bill not realizing we were trying to tip her out of the balance separately. by this point, we were pretty annoyed with the service so she ended up shorting herself out of a decent tip.

Food - someone ordered the steamed crab legs - they were overcooked. Someone else got the clams and they looked overcooked to me although nothing was said. 2 people hit the seafood buffet and really liked it. Be forewarned it's a lot of fried things. I had the Choptank Ham sandwich and this was a winner. Salads were a good size and seemed to be crowd pleasers as well.

Entertainment - I missed the karaoke that occurred earlier. I arrived at 7 p.m on a Friday. After that was a singer/music that was good for background. It looks like the only people who frequent the place are locals or those staying at the hotel and not going somewhere else. Either way, we always felt like we were an unpleasant distraction from the staff.

To summarize - if you're sharing a room the price was relatively reasonable. Bring your meds if you have allergies. The restaurant is the place that locals take their families to for holidays. Unfortunately, they need to patronize it more. Harrison House looks like it might have experienced better times in the not so distant past but is struggling to keep up. The folks that run the place are earnest and quite pleasant so I hope they hang in there and can make some much needed improvements.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Wilson Point, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Harrisons is clean,modern and very comfortable place to get away! The rooms are beautiful,beds are awesome!Will be staying here again. The staff also very friendly,helpful. Food was great! Live music always a plus on the weekends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Annandale, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were quoted one price on the phone when booking but then they tried to charge us 30% more when we checked out. Fortunately someone had written down the price we had been quoted and we eventually got the room for that price but not without a lot of persistence. It left us with a bad impression of the place. Our room had no closet or hooks; there was no place to hang up our clothes. The bathroom had a strong deodorant smell which was unpleasant. We did not see a phone in the room. The beds were adequate but nothing special. There was a new TV but we were unable to change the station; perhaps they only get one station! No internet service in the room. I think you can do better and I suggest you look around. We do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: We did not have a water view but that was not important to us as we spent very little time in our ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our first visit to The Harrison House and I can't wait to take my sons, daughter-in-laws, sister, brother-in-law, etc.on our next visit (hopefully very soon). We were upgraded to a waterfront room and enjoyed it so much that we extended our stay. Although our room was very small, it was also very clean and updated. The television was a nice wall mounted flat screen which was connected to Direct TV. Our accommodations also included a coffee maker and mini refrigerator. The grounds are very well kept and a variey of activities are offered such as swimming, crabbing, chartered fishing or just enjoying the view from the deck. The staff is extremely friendly and the owners are very personable family oriented people.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 300's are a much larger sized waterfront room than the 200's
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family discovered Harrisons Chesapeake House several years ago and we can t wait to visit again.
Harrisons delivers an authentic Chesapeake experience .
The accomodations , the fresh sea food cooked as you like , the views and for the serious fisherman Harrisons offers p rofessional chartered fishing with seasoned guides to round out your stay at Harrisons. We have stayed at Harrisons at least eight times and we are looking forward to our 9th trip there. Once you visit you will know why my family makes it an annual tradition.

• Stayed July 2013
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently stayed for 4 nights (over the 4th of July) and had one of the best times we have ever had! The room was nice and updated - very clean and comfortable beds. We were even able to bring our dog along. The outside deck has an absolutely gorgeous view and the crabs were amazing!!! I ordered the crab cake one night versus picking my own and it was delicious. Very little filler. The staff is beyond accommodating and the owners are just lovely people. We plan to go back as often as we can this summer!!

Room Tip: The rooms by the pool, in the separate building are very large and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrison's Chesapeake House? Share your experiences!