“Love It” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Taneytown B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Love It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This s is one hell of a romantic spot, in the rolling hills of Maryland, close to Gettysburg Pennsylvania, Frederick Maryland and Washington DC. You can drive south 1 hr and pick up the subway right into Washington.
We have been here before, rooms are great, make sure you choose the right one and there is a central Inn and surrounding houses, we like the Ulysses S. Grant suite, big, very nice. I would say it is the most romantic room we have ever stayed at and we have stayed at a lot of places. Dinner is good, five star restaurant, at 8.00 a.m. they serve coffee and muffins by your bed, then you go for main breakfast then you head out. Gardens are lovely. I think rooms well priced/fair. It is romantic and central. Would highly recommend this Inn, it was good. Would go back again.

Room Tip: Pick U.S. Grant room and you will be staggered.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Celebrated a birthday here. Started with the wine and cheese tasting in the wine cellar. Great experience with 10 other guests. We then had a six course dinner with an excellent prime rib. Service was great and the staff teamed to make an excellent dining experience.Our menus had a personalized birthday greeting and desert came with a candle. We were in the Clabaugh room of the mansion and we had an excellent view of the beautiful grounds. The room was interesting and very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tallaght, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My dear husband surprised me for my 50+ birthday with a two night stay at the Antrim 1844 Country Inn. He was very careful in selecting a room that offered some nice amenities as well as privacy. The room he booked was in one of the many out-buildings located on the property. The room was billed as a suite, but it did not have a separate sitting area that typically comes with that designation, rather it had two some lounging chairs separated by a table at the foot of the bed. What the room did have was a very large jacuzzi style bathtub in a very spacious bathroom...that made up for the lack of a separate sitting area. The bed was extremely comfortable.

My husband booked one of the packaged deals which included the six-course dinner for one of the two nights and full breakfast,along with continental breakfast delivered to your room each morning. Here is what I liked, and what I think they need to improve. The six course dinner was good, not superb. The meal was over two hours long by the time we were served all the courses. By the time we got to the dessert course, I myself, was tired to sitting and eating, and I only ate the dessert because I didn't want it to go to waste. The Smokehouse restaurant ONLY serves this six course meal, so if you aren't in for a marathon dinner, you are SOL. Taneytown unfortunately does not offer any other viable eating options. The closest restaurant of any 'quality', is Gunner's Grill located three miles out of town. The food at Smokehouse was good, however, my entree was tepid at best, I would have sent it back but we will well past the 1.5 hour point and I know they would have just most likely microwaved it, so I opted to eat it as is. Plus my husband hates when I send food back and since it was his birthday treat I didn't want to make a fuss. My biggest disappointed was the breakfasts...they offered the same fare both days we were there, my husband and I opted for the big country breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs ( day twos were very dry and rubbery, small Belgium waffle, three potato casserole and a protein (ham one day, bacon the next). Before the waitress served our breakfast the second day, she said for us to be careful because the plates were very hot. Not a good sign, that could only mean the entire meal had been microwaved, and the eggs surely tasted like they had been. Not good. For the cost of the stay, I would have expected better. On the positive side, all the staff were very courteous and pleasant.

All in all..it was a pleasant stay, and am glad I had the chance to experience it, but I think there is some lack of quality control in the food, and I think the inn should provide other dining options other than the six course meal. They should also considering adding a day spa.

Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary here. The staff was extremely polite, courteous and aware of our special occasion. We stayed in the Boyd Room in the main house. The view of the manicured grounds from our room was beautiful. An earlier post stated the shower/tub was a little confusing and I agree. Just don't get under the shower until you got the temperature the way you want it. The country breakfast the next morning was outstanding and service was very pleasant and attentive.

Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for a recent wedding and I wish I could say all nice things. The place is beautiful and provided a great backdrop for the wedding but unfortunately we had problems with our room. When we checked in we were told that the rest of our party had already checked in. When I asked about it, I was told that my brother was sharing the room wit us. It turned out that for some reason they put our nephew (not brother) in our room with us. I said that was not acceptable so they had to scramble and find another room for us. The room was so far away we had to drive! We were running late for the wedding and almost missed it because of their screw up. We did get to the wedding but were 15 minutes late and we were staying so far from everyone else. Not a great experience for us! I won't be returning anytime soon. I have no idea if they plan on charging us for 2 rooms or just the one since they did not give us anything when we checked out. The one we ended up in was cheaper than the one we booked 5 months ago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place has old world charm. We stayed in the Ice House for a weeknight get away and were not disappointed. It's a one room but bath is a bit separated by a wall with curtains it also has a large fireplace. We will be returning for a winter stay. If you go in the summer make sure you take the time to take in the gardens. Such a wonderful place to roam and sit. Listen to the fountain smell the roses. Im looking forward to our return with our kids. There are plenty of different rooms to choose Im also looking forward to sending my brother and sister in law for a post baby relaxing stay with a lovely dinner.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Loft. It was really nice. Beautiful comfy hammock outside next to a creek. The bed was sooo comfortable. I loved the tea they brought down to me in the morning and the littlechocolates at night. I really enjoyed my stay

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!